R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-07-2001, 11:20 AM   #646

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Yeah Ken, your car looked so nice! Looked really stable too...
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 12:47 PM   #647

Send a message via AIM to KeNelson03

thanks its getting to the point that it is so much more fun to run mod than stock its stupid. I'm going to have to start messing with the yok special just for something to do and to see if I can get it working better.

Ken
KeNelson03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 02:02 PM   #648
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

BigDog-

Nice little town on the east coast. Pretty hilly though.......some nice land a little south of here however.
Old 10-08-2001, 12:07 AM   #649
Tech Rookie

Default lower roll center

KeNelson03

I cut my front and rear blocks .15" to creat this. I'm just checking. On the front, did you have to shave down the top of your front bumper to make room for the arms?
Scary Speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 10:46 AM   #650
Rog
Tech Apprentice

Just drove the XXX-S this past weekend and I've got a few questions. First off, what gearing are you guys running? I ran my car at 88/24 and 88/23 with a Rage Type-R motor and couldn't get any punch off the line. The car was still decently fast on the straight but in the turns is where the car was really awesome. Is anyone running the recommended 88/26 gearing? I have a P2K that I was gonna try with that ratio but I know when I run that final ratio (about 6.1) in my TC3, the motor gets really hot. Plus, I didn't feel like the car was fast off the line so I didn't want to try a shorter gear ratio. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 11:41 AM   #651
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

Scary Speck-

You do have to trim the bumper slightly, and install shorter droop screws. I would recommend picking up another bumper, then you will have a trimmed one for when you run LRC, and another for HRC.

If you have already modified your shocks to gain adequate uptravel when running HRC, you will need to change the shock eyelets back to full length, so that you can get 2-3mm of droop.

Later-
Old 10-08-2001, 12:24 PM   #652
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default New Stuff

Coming soon. Figured that I would give you guys a sneak peak.

Aluminum Bellcranks

Front and Rear Aluminum Pivot Blocks and Blocks (HRC/LRC)

Last edited by MDawson; 10-08-2001 at 12:28 PM.
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 12:45 PM   #653
Tech Adept

Rog,

I've been running 88/21 with my Green Machine on a tight technical track. Punch is very good as is top end down the straight. I tried 88/25 but it was way over geared for my track with the internal ratio in the XXX-S. Plus the motor was too hot which would indicate overgearing.

I'll be trying out a P2K this week and will probably start with something like 88/23. Just remember that the internal drive ratio in the XXX-S is 1.83:1 compared to over manufacturers which are usually in the region of 2.0:1.
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 12:53 PM   #654
Tech Elite

For MVP - try 23. P2K - try 27. Seems rather undergeared for the GM @ 21.
Old 10-08-2001, 01:11 PM   #655
Ty
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

MDawson,

Do you have any idea what Steve is going to price that stuf at? Also is he planning on making a gear adapter that is cheaper that the Matt Francis one ($38). Those parts look good in natural aluminum.

How do the low roll center blocks work? I race on carpet with foams, what would the effects be? Thanks so much, your car looks sweet.
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 01:32 PM   #656
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Ty
MDawson,

Do you have any idea what Steve is going to price that stuf at? Also is he planning on making a gear adapter that is cheaper that the Matt Francis one ($38). Those parts look good in natural aluminum.

How do the low roll center blocks work? I race on carpet with foams, what would the effects be? Thanks so much, your car looks sweet.
The pricing will be very competitive. Contact Steve more info. As far as the gear adaptor, that is a wait and see. I know there is demand for the item but some thought will have to be given in terms of weight and durability. I have suggested a 'hardened aluminum'. Those that have had other cars with aluminum center pulleys are sure to have expereinced rapid wear. That is something that is undesired.

The Pivot Blocks will be universal for LRC/HRC by using a second block to add or take away to get LRC/HRC. We dont have large carpet tracks in the area so as far as testing with foams and carpet - southern california has zero option to test accordingly.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:28 PM   #657
Rog
Tech Apprentice

Finally, aluminum parts that are just silver.

Thanks for the gearing suggestions. Since my car is still stock, I figure lightening it up with some graphite parts would help acceleration. Have any of you experienced quicker/better acceleration after switching to the graphite chassis/parts.
Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 02:35 PM   #658
Tech Elite

Rog,

Yes. Consider picking up a graphite chassis and graphite front/ rear diff covers. That is a good start.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:24 PM   #659
Tech Elite

According to Ron Rossetti, low roll center lets the car's chassis roll more. High roll center with soft springs does the same.

More info to come later.

Last edited by MDawson; 10-08-2001 at 09:26 PM.
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 01:14 AM   #660
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I finally got around to working on my XXX-S today.

Item #1 on the agenda is building my new set of threaded shocks. Have all the parts except the shafts.

What is the difference between Losi's regular shock shafts and their Titanium Nitraded ones? Any specific impact on performance, or just a "I know I'm cooler than you even though no one can tell" upgrade?

My LHS has a set of the TN shafts in stock, but at over $20 for the four. I don't know if I should spend the money on those, or put a cheaper set on order and wait for it to come in.

Item #2 on my agenda was graphite stuff. I looked at everything available and decided I'd wait. I don't think I need the chassis right now, since indoor season is JUST starting and I have yet to get the car dialed in. No point in spending $50 unless you're going to notice a difference, right?

Item #3 was the one-way, which I put on order. I can't wait to get that sucker.

Now I'll strap in that new P2K2 and go for a little carpet racing tomorrow evening.
futureal is offline   Reply With Quote