R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-17-2003, 08:33 AM   #6436
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Problem solved. I went to the longeer springs instead of using the old clamp style clips we used before treaded shocks came out.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:15 PM   #6437
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by ROBORAT
dont quite understand your question .... but yes the two screws on both sides of the chassis which screw into the top shaft and mount the spur in place are there. do people actually remove those? cant imagine why....
2 guesses bro:

the spur in itself has a factory defect, it wobbles on the shaft.

or... the shaft has a defect which makes the spur wobble:
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 02:55 PM   #6438
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Most likely you will need to shim the spur on the shaft... Mine has slight side to side play and it keeps al spinning free......

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 12:01 AM   #6439
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Smartazz07

How do you "break in" a diff? I don't remember it saying anything in the manual about breaking in the diff.
Smartazz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 12:04 AM   #6440
Tech Adept

it is like breaking in brushes on a motor. everything has to get seated for it to run in properly.
ernieball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:57 AM   #6441
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Smartazz07
How do you "break in" a diff? I don't remember it saying anything in the manual about breaking in the diff.
I usually tighten the newly rebuild diff the way you set it up for racing. Then run a few laps, after that check the tightness of the diff. Sometime the diff will loosen after a few run, if the diff get loose, re-adjust to the your personal setting.

A.W
Pembalap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 02:13 AM   #6442
Tech Rookie

Default Losi XXX-S Trouble.....

Help.....

Dunno if anybody can offer some advice to a struggling Losi XXX-S driver?
No matter what I do I cannot get my car to run very fast, even with a 13T motor!
I've tried various adjustments to the diffs. I've changed the gearing (Various pinions, two different spurs) and I've even blown a ton on the graphite upgrade kit to try and lose some weight, but to no avail.

Can anybody give me any suggestions to improve the speed of the car?

Thanks,

Michael McCormick
mimno-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:25 AM   #6443
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Re: Losi XXX-S Trouble.....

Quote:
Originally posted by mimno-uk
Help.....

No matter what I do I cannot get my car to run very fast, even with a 13T motor!
I've tried various adjustments to the diffs. I've changed the gearing (Various pinions, two different spurs) and I've even blown a ton on the graphite upgrade kit to try and lose some weight, but to no avail.

Thanks,

Michael McCormick
First off...are other guys running a 13 turn motor? 2nd what is your current set up? It will be easier to make helpful suggestions if we knew what set up you're currently running. With the guys on this site someone will get you on the right track.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:33 AM   #6444
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Re: Losi XXX-S Trouble.....

Quote:
Help.....

Thanks,

Michael McCormick
We alswo need to know wheat type of urface you race on and what type of racing... also how are you adjusting your belt?? Where is it slower just on the straights, out of the corners, or your lap times??? How fresh are your motors?? Atleast throw us a bone....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 10:34 AM   #6445
Tech Rookie

Right.... Surface is tarmac. Belt is not too tight, i.e. just enough to skip a little on heavy braking. The speed issue just seems to be always. I'm usually a Yok MR4 driver so I know a bit about setting up the cars for the right surface, but I must have missed something with the losi. My mate also has an identical losi and his seems to be "night and day" different to mine speed wise, and his is bog-standard, i.e. no graphite. He also runs a 19T motor and is quicker in a straight line and round the bends than I am with a 13T. Other than that, losi purple springs on the friont and losi blue on the back. All of the motors are freshly skimmed with new brushes. I've tested them all in my yok and they are fine. Gearing is red 48DP gear/spur and the pinion is usually as recommended in the manual. (NB - The motor's always come out of the car VERY hot no matter what pinion I use!)
Old 06-18-2003, 10:46 AM   #6446
Tech Addict

Mimno UK - the first thing that I would look at is the drivetrain, is anything binding? Spin the wheels without a motor in place, the drivetrain should spin a little, not a long time mind you, but it will give you an indication if its bound... watch for a sudden stop at the end of the spin - this can mean a blown bearing or issues elsewhere.

Make sure that the two screws holding the spur gear in place aren't too tight - as that can also bind the drivetrain.

As for the motor question, there's no reason a 19T should be faster than a 13T, at the very least in a straight line. If the motor is getting that hot, look into different brushes, springs, and I would also guess that the gearing isn't quite right yet.

Another possibility to look at are the radio/ESC settings - reset the ESC, and make sure that the End points are set to full on the radio.

Regards, Wilde
Old 06-18-2003, 10:54 AM   #6447
Tech Rookie

Thanks. I'll give the suggestions a try.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:28 PM   #6448
Tech Regular

Sounds like a definite drive train problem. I would take all of the bearings out and clean them carefully. Sometimes it can feel like the bearing's OK, but it is actually seized solid and is just turning on the axle.
LouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 12:47 PM   #6449
Tech Master

What is your point of reference when you say your car is slow? Are guys blowing past you on the straight or are the laptimes just off?

If guys are blowing past you and the drivetrain is pretty smooth, I'd have a look at your gearing. Every motor gears differently, so using someone elses or the manual's gearing, isn't necessarily right for your motor and track. Watch where the speed of the car tops out on the longest straight. If it tops out early and the car seems like it's lagging down the straight, increase one tooth at a time on your pinion until the speed tops out at the end of the straight. If it seems like you have more speed left as you let off at the end of the straight, go down a tooth until you top off at the end of the straight. Then, tune for the rest of the track. Also, check your timing on the motor. If you inadvertantly set the motor with negative timing, it will be slow and get excessively hot. If you're just sliding around and have to go slow to keep the car online, try laying the shocks down or use softer tires or inserts. Sorry if this is stuff you already know, but it could be one or more of those things that are causing the car to be slow.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 06:33 PM   #6450
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
(NB - The motor's always come out of the car VERY hot no
matter what pinion I use!)
Check your motor, check the brush condition, and if the comm is
out of round.
ongbenghui is offline   Reply With Quote