R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-13-2003, 10:28 AM   #6376
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Smartazz07

Hey, I don't know how this happened but my rear diff pulley broke. It's hard to explain but the side of the gear that keeps the belt from moving from side to side just broke right off. So now I have the diff pulley with one of the retainer pieces on and I have the other piece sittin' on my table. So I have a question, should I jest buy new diffs and pulleys all around, should I put the 41 tooth pulley in the rear and keep racing, or just buy a new 42 tooth pulley? Oh yea, when it happened my belt got all tangled by the spur and pinion(I do have the yellow belt) should I buy a new belt as a spare as well? Thanks alot!

Brandon
Smartazz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 10:38 AM   #6377
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by Smartazz07
Hey, I don't know how this happened but my rear diff pulley broke. It's hard to explain but the side of the gear that keeps the belt from moving from side to side just broke right off. So now I have the diff pulley with one of the retainer pieces on and I have the other piece sittin' on my table. So I have a question, should I jest buy new diffs and pulleys all around, should I put the 41 tooth pulley in the rear and keep racing, or just buy a new 42 tooth pulley? Oh yea, when it happened my belt got all tangled by the spur and pinion(I do have the yellow belt) should I buy a new belt as a spare as well? Thanks alot!

Brandon
I would just buy a new diff gear, unless you want to change how the car drives with the 41t

The belt should be fine unless it was crimped. If it looks like it was crimped, or damaged, you might want to replace it. You don't want it to come apart during a race.

-Troy
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 10:40 AM   #6378
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Get the new pulley, changing the rear pulley size will effect your handling. As for the belt it would be a personal decision, if you can see marks in the belt I would replace it and keep the one you have now so you will have it "in a pinch".....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 10:44 AM   #6379
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Smartazz07

Brandon
Replace the diff pulley. While you have everything apart, check the bearings in the spur gear and bearings in the guide pulley to make sure they dont have excessive play.

One other thing to check is the belt tensioner arm where it rests on the inside of the drive tunnel next to the tension adjust screw. Over time, the belt tensioner arm might embed itself into the graphite causing some misalignment in the drivetrain. Combine that with bad bearings in the spur and guide pulley and the chance for derailed belt increases.

Fixes:
-Replace the broken diff pulley
-Check the bearings in the guide pulley and spur, replace if needed.
-Check the belt to make sure it hasnt been pinched or shredded
-If the belt tensioner arm has created a mold of itself on the inside of the chassis next to the tension screw, consider using some shims between inside chassis and the belt tensioner arm to bring things inline again.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:09 AM   #6380
Tech Adept

the same exact thing happened to me. one of the little flanges on the rear pulley decided to break off. just replace the pulley and you should be set.
ernieball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:33 PM   #6381
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Smartazz07

THanks guys. ALso should I get more grease for the diff for when I dis assemble it?
Smartazz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 02:24 PM   #6382
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i would just like to know if you guys prefer the high, mid or low roll center in front... thnx
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 06:26 PM   #6383
TLRacing

highwayman-I always prefer mid front roll center with low rear. Whenever I raise my front roll center I loose offpower steering and when I run full low the car gets hard to drive. I think mid front and low rear offers the best all around balance on carpet/foam, asphalt rubber and carpet/rubber.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 06:46 PM   #6384
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Todd- I loved the set-up article you did in RC/Car.... My car is now way fatser and more consistant than any other I have driven before!! 2 of the last 3 weeks when I went racing the track had a layout that was used last year, with both of my old cars the fastest lap I could run was a 12.1, and I only had a few 12 second laps the entire day...... A year and 1 G+ later with far less track time this year and only 5 race days with the car and I ran a fastest of 10.1 with many 10 second laps........ 2 weeks later and a little more tuning straight from the article and I hit quite a few 9.3's!!!! Inclludng the last 8 laps I ran in the main!!!! Heck my slowest lap was a 12.3!!!! (Except when my brush hung in 2 heats)

I am nowhere near as consistant or fast as the top 3 in the A (8.8''s and tons of low 9's) But your article made tuning and driving my Losi is way easier and more fun to tune and drive!!!!

BTW: I started exactly everywhere you said you started in the article....except am running foams.....

THANK YOU!!

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 08:05 PM   #6385
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by T. Hodge
highwayman-I always prefer mid front roll center with low rear. Whenever I raise my front roll center I loose offpower steering and when I run full low the car gets hard to drive. I think mid front and low rear offers the best all around balance on carpet/foam, asphalt rubber and carpet/rubber.
How do you get medium roll center. I thought there was only low and high?
Pro Spec America/Apex RC - Team ORCA - Awesomatix USA - Roche RC USA - AVID - Sweep - Protoform - Pro-One RC - Slapmaster Tools - Hebiki Design Works - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers - Timezone Hobbies
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 08:20 PM   #6386
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to mainracer

hey impactplayr
where have you found the setup guide ?? is it in a rccar action if yes can you tell me wich month and wich page ...

I will really appreciate !!!

thanks a lot
mainracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 10:09 PM   #6387
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sushi Boy
How do you get medium roll center. I thought there was only low and high?
If you purchased a graphite plus kit the mid roll center is included in the kit. I don't have the part number right now for you to purchase it by itself. If someone on here doesn't get you the part number by tomorrow I will get it for you while I'm at the track.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:13 PM   #6388
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

No it's in R/C Car,May 2003.It's the BEST set up guide for the xxxs out their!If you cant find one i think my LHS still has a few.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 10:38 PM   #6389
Tech Rookie

Default Roll Center Clarification

Losi low roll center is "mid" roll center. It's referred to as mid roll center because it is in between the Trinity low roll center and Losi high roll center blocks.
dicey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 10:44 PM   #6390
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to M Ignacio

A-1229 Fr. and Rr. Low (Mid) Roll center pivot blocks.
M Ignacio is offline   Reply With Quote