R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-04-2001, 06:40 AM   #616
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

speedy...very true.....noone makes much issue of offroad weight....
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 07:49 AM   #617
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Jared Kirkwood

In off-road at just about every track we race at, you can very rarely ever lay all the power to the ground produced by the motors. Especially in Modified Off-Road. Having the lightest stuff just doesn't seem to help since it only gives you tenths of a sec and you just loose that the first time you spin out. Going fast in off-road seems to be more about the driver turning good consistent laps. (not saying you don't do that to be fast in touring car). Setup in off-road seems not as important as setup on on-road to optain fast laptimes on most tracks.

I tried to lighten my Triple-X. It just make the rear end seem squirly and unforgiving, so back went on the heavier stuff.

Hope this helps...it's just my opinion on how I see the differences between the classes. Both is equally as fun and equally as challenging for me.
Jared Kirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 08:11 AM   #618
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Smile

tufferwilde: I pretty much agree with everything that you've said. Personally, price doesn't bother me if I feel that it's a good value. Two examples that I feel aren't decent values are the HPI Pro 3 on the low end and the Kyosho KX? on the high end.

I don't agree with you on the Yokomo kit prices. I bought the original MR4-TC and paid about $150. I also bought both the Pro and the Special (still have both). The Pro was $219. The highest price that I've seen for the Pro is $229! The Special is priced slightly higher than the Worlds kit.

I bought the Losi, and feel that it is a good value with aluminum shocks, bearings, tires, inserts, and a body. The tires may not be the best, but with the body painted you can run the car without having to go out to purchase anything other than electronics.

If you're just starting out, you'll have to purchase tires, inserts and a body for the HPI car adding at least $45 (conservatively) to the price of that $200 kit!
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 12:44 PM   #619
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

TSR6

I got one and I also got a Yokomo MR4TC pro.

The Losi is a basic kit. Just wait until they release all the hop ups that the Yokomo came with and you know what I mean
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 06:41 PM   #620
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

Yeah,

And you can't beat that Yokomo quality...

The friggin' team drivers rebuild there crap every freakin' race day. How long can a kit last a club racer? Couple months?
Old 10-04-2001, 06:59 PM   #621
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
Just wait until they release all the hop ups that the Yokomo came with and you know what I mean
Accually, I don't... I don't feel the car needs anything to be fast. Yes, it would benefit from Ti turnbuckles.. does it need it? No, Yes it might benefit from a full graphite chassis, does it need it? No.

The car is fast by itself, and i for one am very happy with the performance. The only upgrade i plan on making during the next couple months are the graphite chassis & shock towers. Otherwise i am keeping it stock.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 07:23 PM   #622

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

mr. losi- yes, you are correct, the team TC3 came out when the TC3 first came out, then later the FT TC3.

Troy- Does the XXX-S come with a graphite chassis? Ti-turnbuckles? Aluminum CVD's? That is what the Team TC3 came with, and what I am saying is that at least they went that far!
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 08:54 PM   #623
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to StMedina

does anyone know when swaybars or oneways might be released? there are a few guys around here that would like to know, including the hobby shop owner. he basically buys what we tell him to, which is pretty cool. everything sells the minute he gets it. he's way old school, no computer skills.

thx
StMedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 09:19 PM   #624
Administrator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedo
mr. losi- yes, you are correct, the team TC3 came out when the TC3 first came out, then later the FT TC3.

Troy- Does the XXX-S come with a graphite chassis? Ti-turnbuckles? Aluminum CVD's? That is what the Team TC3 came with, and what I am saying is that at least they went that far!

the team tc3, came with no graphite..that was the factory team....you had to buy the chassis kit to get graphite before the ft.....yes it had alum cvd's, but do you need them????they bend, steel wont as easly....
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 10:06 PM   #625
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

TR6
wait until one guy at your track breaks out the money and gets all the graphite stuff and aluminum CVD's and you will have to to buy the same stuff to keep up.
This is exactly what happened to me.
Just went back to the Yok, it's faster anyways.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 11:36 PM   #626
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

Can someone please direct me to where I register for this dumb A$$ pissing contest?
Old 10-05-2001, 12:05 AM   #627
Tech Initiate

SirSpeedy, thanks! I almost thought my ex wife found this site!!!
I'll bet the guys that r complaining where getting beat before they got the XXX-S. Guys it takes EFFORT to become fast and the fast ones will always be fast,all cars go fast, guess what....its not the cars! 1 driver might like a car better, because of feel, but I'll bet he was fast before he made the change as well.

Well there is my 2 cents on all this complaining
rcspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 12:57 AM   #628
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to StMedina

i ask again, any news on when swaybars and oneway might be released. anybody.
StMedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 05:53 AM   #629
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

stefan - Hmm... I know at least one guy with all the graphite... and he got beat... whoopy..

I know another guy that was there on the 30'th, bought all the graphite exept the chassis.... He didnt make the A-main... Graphite isnt going to instantly make you win, and it won't make you a better driver.

Smedina - I have not heard much on the swaybars. If i hear anything i will pass it on to you.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 10:25 AM   #630
Tech Addict

Gepetto -

You are correct on the base model kit prices - even the pro is now in the $175 range.

The point of the post was that every company has began with a base kit... and gone from there. The way the XXXS performs right out of the box - not including tires - is great - far better than any TC3 or Yoke that I owned. Granted that the driver ability comes into play quite a bit here - when I had my TC3 - I was super novice. Now I can hold my own on a track, running low wind modifieds. The Yokomo was a great car - it has great tunability and handling characteristics... but it was missing something that the TC3 had - break neck acceleration. In my opinion, the Losi combines some of the great handling of the Yoke and the drive of the TC3.

Durability - especially in the diffswere an issue for me on the yoke - it got really old rebuilding them.

As for all of the graphite stuff - I hate to break it to you guys - but it doesn't shave enough weight to make it all worthwhile - trust me - I have it all on my car and its now only about 2oz lighter than stock - not worth the $100. As for the aluminum CVD's..running stock it might make a noticeable difference, but elsewhere, I don't see the need for them.

The fact of the matter is that Losi WILL come out with a graphite car...in a year or so, they will follow the same marketing that they have in the past i.e. - Kinwald and Francis Edition XXX's .

Later all -
Wilde