R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-03-2001, 02:29 PM   #601
Suspended

Cool Sorry to bust in.

I just got the optional graphite chassis kit for my latest used car purchase an XXX-S

I was having a problem with two of the shocks leaking and haven't had any success rebuilding them with stock "o" rings,still leaking. the shafts are smooth,no nicks or burrs.
Is anyone else having this problem with their kit shocks?
What aftermarket seals to use?
I have applied all my usual tricks to this problem and they still leak a little bit around the lower seal.
I have not run this car yet but I want to try a"trial"run in a parking lot nearby soon.
I just don't want to have the shocks leaking before I even put asphalt under the tires!
Thanks for any help I can get..
Jamracing 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 02:50 PM   #602
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

mips seals are good....i am not trying to be funny, but make sure the cartriges are good and tight.....
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 02:58 PM   #603

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDogRacing
Actually, I think they're waiting for the sales to drop off on the kits and the upgrades, then they'll offer the world's edition (or whatever they name) to increase the revenue.

I personally think it's a cheesy way to do business because you are forced to WAY overpay for the competitive chassis that you really want by buying it in the composite form and then upgrading almost EVERYTHING in the kit.

Don't get me wrong, I like Losi and their cars, but I'm not a big fan of their marketing tactics. If you think they do it this way (waiting for a year or so to release the full race kit) because they have to get everything into production, or to find someone to name it after, then I have some bridges you might be interested in..... lol

If everyone would quit buying their stuff until they offer the full race kit (yea, that'll never happen) maybe they would reconsider waiting so long to release it and quit forcing us to buy the standard version and spend another $250 on it to upgrade. I personally will wait for the race version to come out. I waited for the MF XXX-T, cause I was determined not to spend $475 on a kit that would cost $240.

just my $.02
Exactly! Yokomo, for one, does not use this method. All of their MR-4 cars have come with a substantial number of upgrades. And at least Associated did come out with the team version of the TC3 when it first came out. HPI and Losi are another story though. Heck, you'de think Losi could go as far as maybe putting some ti-turnbuckles in there, but nope. And the problem is that everybody buys this stuff, even though they pay a hell of a lot more than they should be.

Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 03:02 PM   #604
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Jam - As Matt said, make sure they are tight. I SWORE i had mine tight untill i borrowed his RPM shock wrench, and it tightened up a bunch.... Get a RPM shock wrench or grip the cart. with a wrench, and put a screwdriver through the hole in the top and tighten it as much as you can...

This must be "Incredible Hulk" tight
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 03:06 PM   #605

Yeah, the RPM tools are invaluable. Just be careful not to overtighten, I did that once and my shock came appart on the track, not good. Plus, it was a dirt track, so it got everywhere
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 05:31 PM   #606
Administrator

speedo....if i remember right, asc. cam out with the racer, and the team kit rightaway......the factory team came later, much like losi with the mf xxxt....
Old 10-03-2001, 05:43 PM   #607
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Guys,

how else is Losi supposed to get $210 for a basic kit when all their competitors are selling their team cars for $220?
Same goes for that crappy HPI Pro3.
I'm glad I never touched this piece of ......
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 06:44 PM   #608
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

You all crack me up.

So now the Losi is a basic kit huh?

The new Losi comes with everything that the Team TC3 came with when it came out. And the Team kit sold for $220.

The TC3 was out for well over a year when the FactoryTeam kit debuted. It sells for around $280.
Old 10-03-2001, 06:57 PM   #609
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

stefan - Unless you go out and get A-0250 for yourself, you just won't understand. It isn't a basic kit... my only beef with the whole car is that it didnt come with bearings for the steering ( big whoopy... i spent the $5 and got a set of bearings... )

BTW - The FT TC3 Sells around $325, The TC3 Racer sells for about $170, The Team TC3 sells for about $220, The RS4 Pro3 is about $200, and the Losi XXX-S sells for about $220.

Hope that price list clears things up a bit.... Next time take one for a test spin...
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 07:16 PM   #610
R/C Tech Founder

Different strokes for different blokes.

Some people will pay a ton extra for the car they want. Manufacturers realize this. Nobody is trying to rip anybody off, it's just a business, and good business means good business sense.

I thought the XXX-S was a steal for the $210 I paid. Definitely worth it. So was the Yokomo Worlds I got, and the Yokomo Special I got, and so on. Each car has its own options and merits... you just can't piece out two different cars from two different manufacturers and compare them dollarwise. It's apples and oranges.
futureal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 08:00 PM   #611
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Good post futereal! I thought it was a good bargain as well and don't mind the extra I have paid for all (yes all) the graphite stuff, nor will I mind the price for the oneway whnever it decides to show up!
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 08:45 PM   #612
Tech Addict

OK -

As for the kit prices - for the record, the Pro was not the first car that Yokomo came out with. When the Pro came out - it was close to $275 street value - same then with the Worlds, then the Special. AE has done the same thing - racer, team, factory team

The Losi kit is very, very competitive with the current TOP level cars - right out of the box. I personally have added the graphite parts , but it was not needed - the additional stiffness was negligible, the weight reduction brought the car down to right around 54 OZ with a full mod race setup. The car was around 56 oz without the graphite.

Is this stuff needed to be competitive?? nope. Is it needed in other kits?? in some cases yes., in some cases no - depends on how stiff you want the car.

Now - I have owned all three of the above mentioned kits - TC3, MR4TC, and XXX-S. The XXX-S is simply the most dialed car yet. I like it - this is my .02.

Wilde
Old 10-03-2001, 08:54 PM   #613
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

TSR6-If you see the factory kit for $325 then it's high priced. It's been no higher than $279 out here in Sac.

I could comment or shall I say continue with some of Sir Speedy's comments but I won't start a big debate on the board. Bottom line it that the Losi is a good competative car. There are a few parts that you need to upgrade to but that's with every kit.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:49 PM   #614
Administrator

i agrree....the losi rocks...
Old 10-03-2001, 10:42 PM   #615
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

NEW TOPIC:

One thing that puzzles me is that in offroad, all the cars are way over the legal wieght, and no one thinks anything of it. Most people line up to add all the aluminum parts they can find.

Wierd.