Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Old 05-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Initiate

what are the differences between a fm amd am radio because i have a jr xr2 and i want to get a m-8 is it worth the money
Old 05-02-2003, 09:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Angry diff building difficulties

I have built then rebuilt this xxx-s diff three times and still have a slight notchy feel. I used all new parts except the two ball bearings, the outdrives and diff screw. What's the trick to getting these diffs smooth? I have built diffs for other cars with no problems, but this one is giving me fits. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rod
Old 05-02-2003, 09:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Someone explain this to me,I have an older XXX-S and been upgrading it to G+ XXX-S status. Setup is basically the same for the G+ but the springs were Black upfront with Silver or lower in the rear.

Car will either have a slight push with softer springs or have a bad hook with harder springs,no happy medium yet. But today while testing I changed springs to blues all around and noticed the car had a slight push so just for gigles I tired a set of greens and the damn car ran like it was on railroad tracks.

Tires selection has been screwy,some nights HPI 33r with yokomo firm open cell insert on proline 26mm rims or CS 22 or CS 27s. Today the 33rs were pushing real bad and got rid of them and had nothing left but a set of CS27s so gave them a try. Found out I have been trying to setup my car to two different types of tires,I know better now.

So why would my car all of a sudden work with the blue/green combo but the black/silver do not,one would think harder in front with same or softer in rear is the way to go. So why would this POS go against normal thinking?

Oh and something else the setup was causing the left front tire to have a 5* to 10* temperature higher than any other tire (most of the turns are right hand turns) but now three corners have a 85* race temp with the left front having an 86*,so something is working for a change,hehehehe. And to think I'm the only person at my track running the losi in expert,all others are TC3s.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Re: diff building difficulties

Originally posted by rchotrod
I have built then rebuilt this xxx-s diff three times and still have a slight notchy feel. I used all new parts except the two ball bearings, the outdrives and diff screw. What's the trick to getting these diffs smooth? I have built diffs for other cars with no problems, but this one is giving me fits. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rod
How much lube are you using. The more of the clear lube you put on the diff balls the smoother it'll be. Coat 'em.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by pro3user
what are the differences between a fm amd am radio because i have a jr xr2 and i want to get a m-8 is it worth the money
I'm not totally sure on this, because i don't really spend money on controllers, but i think that FM doesnt give glitch problems like the AM controllers do. And on the 128 spur, i use a 36th pinion, it has top end speed, buh the motor gets hot fast and the run time is less then a 34 th pinion. I hope i was helpful to your needs.

-good LUCK!
Old 05-02-2003, 11:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Diff balls and Tire Temps

If you have changed everything about the diffs, but the balls, then you have just solved your own problem. Though, through experience, I've had more problems with the thrust balls having flat spots than the diff balls.

The following post reply:

Have you checked your tweak? If one tire is contacting the ground harder than the opposite side, wouldn't that make that tire heat up more?

Also, when was the last time you cleaned your bearings? It made a hugh difference on my car and it was also an original kit.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Stick pack falling off

Hi,

Any good technique to prevent stick pack from falling off ?
Old 05-03-2003, 04:36 AM
Tech Regular

Dense foam stuck on the side of the chassis, a-la TSR6
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-xxx-s.jpg  
Old 05-03-2003, 06:39 AM
Tech Addict

Exclamation diffs !!!

change your balls regularly.....& use plenty of lube !!!
Old 05-03-2003, 07:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default hair line crack

Hi,

anyone crack their graphite chassis before ? my chassis just got a hair line crack.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: diff building difficulties

Originally posted by rchotrod

Thanks,
Rod
Well, here is what I have found on my last try last night. I took the two ball bearings out (the one in the pulley and one in the outdrive) and made sure they were absolutely cleaned out and re-oiled. Then I noticed that the thrust balls were out against the inside of the outdrive and have worn a slight but noticable groove. I am starting to think that is the problem, since plastic is softer than metal. Like I posted above all the diff balls are new carbide, new rings, new thrust balls and washers, even a new pulley.

The diff is usable, and probably won't make much difference on the track, I just like to build my diffs as smooth as they can be.

My xxx-s has a one-way in it now, and I like it, but I just want to have the option of using a diff on a tight track that needs alot of braking.

If someone out there could teardown a used xxx-s ball diff and look at their outdrive and see if it has the same groove. Maybe that would solve this mystery.

Thanks
Rod
Old 05-03-2003, 08:14 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Default Re: hair line crack

Originally posted by ongbenghui
Hi,

anyone crack their graphite chassis before ? my chassis just got a hair line crack.
I've managed to crack my G+ chassis. The batteries flew out in a crash and hit the rear corner of the chassis.....a bit of CA sorted out this problem!
Old 05-03-2003, 09:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

MaddogTL- That's a good question but here's my views on it. I would think that the black/silver combo would push more than the green/blue combo just because it's a bigger difference from front to rear from hard to soft. With the springs closer together maybe it made the car have a better feel to it. If I saw a car with a black/silver combo my first guess would be that this person had traction issues that's the reason for the type of set up they're running. I don't think that I really answered your question fully but I tried to give some insight. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

here is a couple pics of what I am trying to explain. The thrust balls are pushing out against the outdrive.
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-thrust-diff01.jpg  

Last edited by rchotrod; 05-03-2003 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default another

pic2
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-thrust-diff02.jpg  

Last edited by rchotrod; 05-03-2003 at 07:38 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.