Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Old 04-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Tech Initiate

I have an RTR, although over time I've upgraded the electronics, put the adjustable shocks in, put MIP CVD's in, Lunsford Titanium hinge pins and turnbuckles, and some of the parts are graphite.

But in the RTR kit everything is plastic, and the shocks use collars that you have to loosen with a hex-driver, the hinge pins and turnbuckles are standard steel, as well as the dogbones. Also the hubs are a little shorter than in the G+ kit.

Other than that the design and layout is the same, except for maybe a few ounces that you save by going to an all graphite chassis, arms, shock towers, etc.

It's great if you are just starting out, but now that I look back, I wish that I had bought a G+ and good electronics/servo/radio for it.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Guys there is no differance between the parts on the standard XXXS and the RTR kit...they are the exact same parts....Just the RTR comes pre-built with radio gear installed....and any of the parts on the G+ kit will work on the RTR or standard XXXS as updated/replacement parts.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:49 PM
Tech Adept

Cool. I was planing on only racing stock and getting the graphite conversion kit later on in the year, and getting good electronics as my skills increase
Old 04-23-2003, 11:36 PM
Tech Initiate

One word is make sure and get rid of the stock servo saver,that thing takes too much away from the car. Even if you put a third spring in there it still does not work as good as a Kimbrough servo saver.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by MaddogTL
One word is make sure and get rid of the stock servo saver,that thing takes too much away from the car. Even if you put a third spring in there it still does not work as good as a Kimbrough servo saver.
If you want a little bit more precise steering, you can always take out the Servo Saver, and use a solid servo arm.

Be carefull though, a hard hit might damage the servo...

A.W
Old 04-24-2003, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Pembalap
If you want a little bit more precise steering, you can always take out the Servo Saver, and use a solid servo arm.

Be carefull though, a hard hit might damage the servo...

A.W

that's kind hard to do, especially if you're not a pro driver...

but seriuosly, you need the servo saver in my opinion, becuase, you'd save a whole bunch of $$$ with it...
Old 04-24-2003, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Madcap Magician
I have an RTR, although over time I've upgraded the electronics, put the adjustable shocks in, put MIP CVD's in, Lunsford Titanium hinge pins and turnbuckles, and some of the parts are graphite.

But in the RTR kit everything is plastic, and the shocks use collars that you have to loosen with a hex-driver, the hinge pins and turnbuckles are standard steel, as well as the dogbones. Also the hubs are a little shorter than in the G+ kit.

Other than that the design and layout is the same, except for maybe a few ounces that you save by going to an all graphite chassis, arms, shock towers, etc.

It's great if you are just starting out, but now that I look back, I wish that I had bought a G+ and good electronics/servo/radio for it.

I have the graphite plus, and aside from the graphite stuff, there's the new roll center, new offset rear uprights, rear shock tower for more camber link positions, and other cool stuff, that losi brought in to further improve the XXX-S

also, following the manuals for both, i'd say the G+ is definitely more aggresive...

personally, if you're buying a kit, i'd go directly to the G+...
Old 04-25-2003, 04:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Old 04-25-2003, 07:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

You guy's use a servo saver on your xxxs?I have not used one on my xxxs,I have not broken or damaged a servo yet.(racing for 6mo.) The car handles alot better with out one.I look at it like this,the servo I use is a JR590 it cost about what a stock motor does,I have a "few" spare stock motors,why not have a few spare servos,I think if the bottom line is performance,dont run one.If you dont have the cash to replace a servo when you do hit something,run a servo saver,This is just my 2 cents.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Went to a servo horn to see how it was.... I saw a difference, but not enough. So i put the servo saver on with 4 springs(two Silver, and Two Gold) like T Hodge said... works great for me....

I love the XXX-S G+ so much that i bought another one just so I can run stock and mod at the same club race........

Last edited by Ortiz; 04-25-2003 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:47 AM
Tech Lord

But if you notice Todd Hodge does not run a servo saver,He uses a servo horn.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

Yup, but he is also a pro driver and the chances of him getting into an accident and breaking his servo are slim. He can also replace his servo quite rapidly..

I cant afford to break my servo right now. So I have to suck it up and use a Servo saver for now...
Old 04-25-2003, 03:27 PM
Tech Lord

The pro's stand just as(if not more)much of a chance as you or i of tearing something up..they are much faster so when they hit something(and they do)..ouch,at the Ca.state champs I was pitting across from Todd and he did tear up his car a few times(in practice)Another team driver(not Losi)went through 4 one ways and at least 4 sets of arms,chassis and a few other parts,but they are pushing it alot harder than what most of us do.STLNLST will back me up on this one.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Dont know about you, but i cant afford to be replacing stuff like one-ways, servos, and misc. parts to many times...

So I willl continue to use the servo saver, and Im sure you will continue to use the horn... as long as in im in the top 5 were I race at it really doesnt matter. If i start placing out then I might start making some changes but till then, no need to mess with the car.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:48 PM
Tech Lord

So true,after all it's about having fun,not how much you spend.As soon as it's not fun why race,my job is frustrating enough,I dont need my hobby to be that way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.