R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-26-2003, 01:43 AM   #5506
Tech Adept

RE yellow belt...Does this have any advantage over the blue one? Except for the color of course...I was hoping to install it in the 1rst gen xxxs...

Also I will be stocking up for parts and I am wondering what part will most probably break in a heavy crash? So I could replace it asap.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 06:10 AM   #5507
Tech Regular

I was almost going to buy the matt francis kydex bumper brace with an order I did the other day, but I had the sudden thought that there is a small chance that the xxx-s bumper is different to the G+ bumper and that the brace might be designed for the original or something. I assume that I am worrying over nothing but I didn't want to buy a part that might not fit. Can anyone fill me in and let me know if they are worth it ?
sleek the elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 06:33 AM   #5508
Tech Regular

I was reading back a few pages about the loose front bumper perhaps being the cause of a lot of broken shock shafts, is that right ? In that case maybe the brace would be a good idea, either that or just drill some holes in the top part and run the swaybar screws throught the top with some washers.

What about the rear hubs ? I broke a couple on the weekend, the large impacts don't seem to make a difference, just when you clip the join in a pipe at the wrong angle seems to be when they break. Is trinity or someone going to be making some alloy offset versions ? Or are there any ways to fix the problem besides just driving cleaner (what I ended up having to do ) ?
Old 02-26-2003, 07:49 AM   #5509
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Sleek - I do not like the Matt Francis bumper. I broke mine within two weekends of the day I bought it. The area where the screws go in cracked first, and I kept on running it untill it cracked around the body posts, and broke off. I know a couple other guys that say its fragile too. I was even warned before I bought it.

I've been running the GP+ bumper for a while now, with no problem at all.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 10:21 AM   #5510
Regional Moderator
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

i have the trinity red bumper and the reinforcement clear plastic is broken out were it would fit under the swaybar mount. I bang the boards A LOT and have never had a problem. the only time I break is when I hit the wheel and bypass the bumper. Of course, this happens a lot too

it seems like the extra give in the bumper mount helps to absorb the impact.
petzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 04:14 PM   #5511
Tech Regular

What springs do you guys run on medium/low grip asphalt with rubber tires? I think I'm close with blue springs all round but I'm interested to know what everyone else runs. I've tried various combinations of blue, green and purple springs with mixed results.
LouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 12:09 AM   #5512
Tech Regular

Default Car Too Wide

Lucky they weren't teching width on the weekend, I measured the rear of my car with the AE full hexs that I used. 191.3mm. I wonder if this would roll through the tech box ? It is only because of the 2 deg toe in on the arms. The nuts are actually under 190mm !!!

I am hoping that perhaps it's because I had to replace one of the offset hubs with a standard one....although if you change pivot holes, there shouldn't be any difference, should there ?
Old 02-27-2003, 02:46 AM   #5513
Tech Adept

Default allen wrench measurements

Hi! Does anyone here know the sizes of the allen wrench tools being used in a xxx-s?
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 06:31 AM   #5514
Regional Moderator

marc, 3/32", 5/64" or 2mm, and 1/16"
Addict sa RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 09:02 AM   #5515
Tech Addict

Louis B -

As for suspension on med-low grip asphalt, I was running mainly Pinks, and Reds... depending on the preparation - with either the Sorx 28-32-36 tires (depending on Temp)...

The oil I ran was AE 40 all around with 55/56 pistons

Wilde
Old 02-27-2003, 09:06 AM   #5516
Tech Addict

Sleek the elite -

As for the width - you car might make it through the box with the width due to play in the car.... but I wouldn't chance it.

There should be no need to run the full AE hex on the rear of the car as it is only used to widen the fronts in the event you should use any foam tires greater than 26mm in width....

Once again - it is not worth the DQ at an event for your car to be 2mm wider as it will pose no advantage at all!

Wilde
Old 02-27-2003, 10:24 AM   #5517
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LouisB
What springs do you guys run on medium/low grip asphalt with rubber tires? I think I'm close with blue springs all round but I'm interested to know what everyone else runs. I've tried various combinations of blue, green and purple springs with mixed results.
im right there with you i have been trying differnt set ups with rubber tires on a asphalt track and a smooth concrete track and i have been running blue F/R and then i have been doing the sliver rear and purple front. i also would like to know if anyone as a good setup for the aspahlt track
Ko Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 11:01 AM   #5518
Tech Regular

Thanks tufferwilde, I used to run really soft springs but I prefer the quicker reaction of the stiffer springs. I was running heavier oil though so I'll give it a go

When it's wet I run pinks on the back and orange on the front to make the most of whatever grip there is. That set-up worked very well last sunday b/c I managed to climb to 2nd in the A final when it started to rain

I'll post my current set-up if you want it KO? It's very easy to drive.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:20 AM   #5519
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LouisB
I'll post my current set-up if you want it KO? It's very easy to drive. [/B]
yeah that sounds great LouisB any info i will give it ashot
Ko Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 11:50 AM   #5520
Tech Regular

I can't put it up right now, but I'll try and do it when I get back from 12th scale probably around 11:15pm (GMT)