R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-22-2003, 11:56 PM   #5461
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Chassis Drilling

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik R.
I've had my XXX-S G+ for almost 2 months and I'm really happy with the car. A lot of guys at my track have drilled out their XXX-S's and wanted some info on drilling. Can someone tell me what they've used to cut their chassis or what pages this info might be on? I've heard that people are using dremels, but what type of bit works best?

Thanks,
Erik Rodriguez
YOU should use a cutting disc.then clean up with a file, and 400 fine sandpaper..work's very well and I've cut alot of chassis's so good luck and please take your time..
Old 02-23-2003, 01:24 AM   #5462
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Since everyone's talking about rear tow... Tonight, I tried both 1.5 and 1 degree of rear tow (per wheel). the 1.5 wasn't a very noticable difference compared to 2, but when I went to 1 the car really freed up. 1 degree gave it lots of steering, without breaking loose, especially in wider turns. I also think less rear tow helped it on the straights some.

I haven't played with different ackerman settings yet, sounds like the forward position would make the car more aggressive??? Is that adding or removing ackerman effect? Right now I'm using the rear ackerman, I'd like the car to react a little quicker though.
JeffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 06:45 AM   #5463
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the help guys, I finally got to run the car this weekend at what is basically our State champs and cleaned up in mod with the single lap track record, the heat/race track record and the first place. Needless to say I was very impressed with the car and the setup, it was a very tight carpet track so the right setup helped alot. The associated guys were right there also, but I think the setup just helped that last little bit. One of the Associateds was running a brushless as well, and actually managing to dump a pack of 3000s in the last final !!!! You can imagine how fast that was.

I ended up using the black springs on the rear. I also found out that the droop settings on Matt's setup aren't quite achievable with the shock locations given. Maybe I tightened the shock ends further than he does or something ?? This wasn't really an issue anyway because I was running much larger diameter tires and I am informed that droop is relative to ride height so I had to run an extra 3 or 4 mm anyway.

I managed to join the rear hub club twice on the same pipe join as well as well as ripping the the rod end off the turnbuckle on the exact same piece of pipe. It's definetely not the magnitude of the impact but the angle that determines if it is going to break. The plastic hub that I borrowed after the second breakage seemed to go allright so I might get them instead next time.
I wonder if anyone knows whether the aluminium hubs (or plastic) are available with the offset yet ?
sleek the elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 08:13 AM   #5464
Regional Moderator
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

guys what bodies are you running on your xxx-s ?
and do you find one better for it then others? i have always ran stratus bodies but the alpha i see alot of is the a plus to it?

thanks
Ko Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 08:31 AM   #5465
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

sleek- maybe your shocks aren't long enough to set the droop at what Matt has his at. Are you using the droop screws? Matt doesn't use them. He adjusts his shock length until he gets the desired amount of droop. It's a pain to do this way especially with foams but it's much more consistant.

Ko- what surface are you running on? I haven't run my Alpha yet so I can't help you there. I just ran out doors yesterday for the first time in about 4-5 months and I started out with the regular Protoform stratus and switched to the trinity reference. I also like the vaxhaul body. Next week I'll test the alpha and the protoform 2.0 stratus.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:42 AM   #5466
Regional Moderator

STLNLST......im running asphalt and smooth concrete indoors right now. and im running the proto 2.0 and tried the hpi strat out i perfer the 2.0 over the hpi.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:46 AM   #5467
Tech Regular

STLNLST - thanks, I thought that might be the case. I agree about the droop screws, they are a bit of a waste of time being in the bumpers, why did they ever put them there ?

I am also getting a bit more spur/pinion noise than I would've expected, even with the 64 pitch spurs. I tried out the 48 pitch spur that I haven't raced yet because I know my 48 pitch pinions are quiet in my other cars, but that was rather noisy as well. Anyone else have this problem ?
sleek the elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 08:48 AM   #5468
Tech Champion

I have been wanting to try out the HPI stratus but I never got around to it. What didn't you like about it? Did it have slower lap times than the 2.0?
Old 02-23-2003, 08:52 AM   #5469
Tech Champion

Sleek- You me and the whole world are waiting for the answer to that question.....lol

TO ALL- I ran the car yesterday with the stock shock shafts and had some hard crashes but never broke a shaft (knocking on wood) I hope that I can still order the old shafts as I will never put the newer one's on again.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:57 AM   #5470
Regional Moderator

I havent weighed it yet but it feels heavier to me and for lap times I havent got that techinal yet the season here still hasnt started in full swing outside yet so im running indoors on a go kart track with some buddies .
Old 02-23-2003, 09:29 AM   #5471
Tech Champion

that's just one less body that I have to paint....
Old 02-23-2003, 10:39 AM   #5472
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to hicheef
Default Bodies(Nissan Altima)

Anyone tried the Protoform Altima yet? I love mine, was just looking for feedback from someone who might know more about how they handle than i do?!? I found it pretty easy to drive, anyone else?
Kevin
hicheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 02:37 PM   #5473
Tech Initiate

STLNLST

Have you raced at Speedworld in Roseville much? If so, could I get some info from you.

Team R
Team R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 03:56 PM   #5474
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Team TL

how does the Stratus 2.0 and stratus 1.0 compare to the Alfa. Right now im running the Alfa.
Team TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 07:16 PM   #5475
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to racecar850 Send a message via Yahoo to racecar850 Send a message via Skype™ to racecar850
Thumbs up SHOCK SHAFT SURVIVAL

My front shock shafts survived a flat out end of back straight-right hand sweeper 45 degree encounter with the boards. The same cannot be said for the left a-arm

DRIVING...An inconvenient way of getting from A to B
racecar850 is offline   Reply With Quote