R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-10-2003, 04:57 PM   #5296
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

You're absolutely right about that Dave, the new spur gears are definataly more straight than their previous ones, I also see less belt riding across the pulley of the spur after assembly where it used to be bad untill you put a pack through it. The spur I am referring to is the bright orange one. I heard about someone having to bend the pulley arm to get something to ride straight or something, man that was a bad move as everything has been designed using the lastest CAD so Losi isn't gonna send out kits that aren't right. Mine is going together just fine and I'm super impressed with the new G+ kits.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:01 PM   #5297
Tech Addict

Dave -

I haven't had to purchase a new gear in a while... at least that was until I picked up the G+.... and then grabbed a 128... As for the rest of the running gear - I agree completely - if something is out of whack - its time to take account of that pile of extra screws from the kit.... there's probably one missing!

Wilde
Old 02-10-2003, 10:31 PM   #5298
Tech Adept

Dave K.

I got mine used and the part that the idler pulley was bent and cut the way I posted by a Team Losi driver. I will take mine apart and look at it tonight.

okay this is a really DUMB question.......

the instructions for the XXXs say that the drive ratio is 1,83...... my son was rebuilding the diffs and I had a stock kit gear laying on the bench. he and I both counted 22 teeth on the pully side and the diff gears were 42 okay 42/22 =1.90909 what are we missing??????????

another one,

has anyone tried running the 41 tooth diff gears in both diffs??????

Thanks for your time and help with the questions.

Fakk2
Fakk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 11:23 PM   #5299
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner

Fakk2 - I have to apologize as I slightly mis-understood part of your post. I didn't see the part about you using the MF aluminum adapter. I might get shot at for saying this but I don't recommend using that. Just use the stock spur gears. I have found the MF adapter to be greatly out-of-round which gives inconsistent belt tension. I don't know whether its required to bend the tensioner mount when using this but if it is needed, you will also be moving he line of the belt and they may not ride down the center of the diff pulleys anymore. Another reason to use stock spurs.

The diff pulleys are 42t and the spur gear pulley is 23t which equals 1.826. Using two 41t pulleys doesn't really work as the belt is too long when you do that.
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:39 AM   #5300
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Dave- I agree with you on the adapter. I have other comments about it but I'll keep that to myself.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:00 AM   #5301
Tech Apprentice

Dave Kurschner

Thanks for your input... I have tried your recomendation and all is well....!!!! The bearing was just not seated correctly, actualy there was some flashing in there.

Also, What is a "MF aluminum adapter"?

Thanks
superbike2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:17 AM   #5302
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

MF is the Matt Francis spur gear adapter. It allows you to use after market spur gears so that you can run different final drive ratio's. If you're thinking about getting one read Dave's post.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:35 AM   #5303
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have been using the MF Spur Gear Adaptor for about a year now and have had absolutely no problems with it. I have found that it spins more true then the stock losi spur gears do. I also like the fact of being able to hit the sweet spot for gearing a lot easier. Thats just my .02 cents.

Later
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:46 AM   #5304
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

The MF gear adapters that showed up in our town were all horribly out of round. I have avoided them so far. The Losi 128-tooth spurs work fine.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:49 AM   #5305
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner

Crash - If you have had good luck, that's great. You must have stumbled across a good one. I have tried 3 of them and found this condition to be true on all three. I put them under a measuring microscope and found them to be significantly out of round and all 3 were quite a bit different. I also have spoken to many other individuals who have experienced this same problem. The spur gear itself may run true but the actual pulley that the belt rides on has fairly significant runout on it. This can cause belt tracking problems, vibration, premature bearing failure, and hindered performance (especially at higher speeds). I don't want to bash Trinity products as they make so many great ones but this particular part is not one that I would recommend to the general public.
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:27 AM   #5306
Tech Adept

Dave K.

Thanks for understanding my post. as I just gotten home from a 16+ hr day and I really didn't word my post right. I am always doing this. sorry. as for the amount of teeth being 22...... we both counted wrong. another side effect of to many hours at work. thanks for understanding.

I got lucky. I had one that was out of round. I work at a large machining shop. so I was able to fix mine. now total runout is less than .001.
I took the belt tensioner off last night and the bearing was seated correctly.

Trinity products.

I agree with Dave on some of their products.

I have had some other problems with both their brush factory and the brush slotter.
I ended up selling both and getting the Racers Edge one.

XXXKat,

my closest LHS is over 100 miles away. as I am the only Losi owner that races there. parts are hard to come by. I usally try to buy everything from him as he also runs the track we race at. if all else fails I will go elsewhere for parts.

BTW if you were in my basement you'd never get out!!!!!!!!!! its that full of R/C stuff.

Thanks for all the help

Fakk2
Fakk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:37 PM   #5307
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Blakesrc
Default Belt Centering?

I have read a couple of comments on this thread in the past about centering the belt to remove more drag from the drivetrain. Can someone please explaine how this is done?

Thanks, Blake
Blakesrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 09:26 AM   #5308
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default Weight!!!

Hey guys,

My G-plus is a now at 3 lb. 4.2 oz.!!! 2.2 oz. over weight.

Do you guys know how much weight the aluminum screw kit or titanium screw kit is worth in grams or oz.?

Mine has JR 8450 servo, GT7 and XXl receiver-so electroncs cant be made too much lighter.

Just looking for a quick 1.5 oz. diet that I dont have to break out the dremel or milling machine for!!!

ON a side note-for you foam tire guys-I finally tested with the Jack the Gripper odorless compound and it truly is as good or better than Paragon (which I have always used). And its not gummy on the tires like TQ. Next day tires felt dry and normal with no smell at all!!!! I am sold on this stuff. I hope more tracks and more big races ban Paragon soon. I wuld NEVER have said that if Trinity or TQ products were my only traction compound choices!!!
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:30 AM   #5309
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Belt Centering?

Quote:
Originally posted by Blakesrc
I have read a couple of comments on this thread in the past about centering the belt to remove more drag from the drivetrain. Can someone please explaine how this is done?

Thanks, Blake
Bump this question up.

And help on this would be interesting
superbike2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 11:28 AM   #5310
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

rayhuang-3 lb. 4.2 oz.!!! 2.2 oz. over weight. I believe the Roar limit is 53 ounces without transponder. You are at 52.2 ounces. What is your weight limit. Aluminum screws should knock about 1 ounce off your weight. Don't use the full set.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-12-2003 at 01:11 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote