Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 09:53 PM
Tech Addict

Ran the car in anger finally. Very, very happy but there are still the odd niggle or two.

1. The MIP red thrust race grease was gone in about 3 - 4 minute runs(in mod). It has now been replaced by Associated black grease and is an improvement. It's fortunate the car is so easy to work on, the rebuild took a very short time.

2. The servo saver is crap. the two pieces are slightly different sizes and there is slop between them, which affects the cars steering. I will most likely have a replacement organised for the weekend but have bodged a short term fix.
A few drops of superglue on one side, allowed to cure fully then the servo saver re-assembled seems to have eliminated the problem. Saver will still work as intended.

3. Spares backup. Not so happy about the lack of parts currently available that are specific to the G+. It's not just that we are on the underside of the world, it's a worldwide problem according to some of the posts here. Where's the hold up, Losi or Horizon?

4. Warped spur gears. It's nice that they're quiet but couldn't they be a bit more True running?

Managed to get the race details from the last National level meeting 2 months ago. The best time I ran yesterday was 2 seconds off FTD in modified. Out of the box, the car is fast. In that respect, the change from the Yokomo has been a success.

I had a few heavy smacks during the racing, the car has survived intact. Also good
Old 02-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Tech Adept

Fakk2 - the Losi servo saver works fine but you have to tighten the screw down very firmly. I suggest puting a small washer on the screw that holds the servo saver on. Try to use a screw with a hex head on it so you can get good leverage. I don't think its a very good idea to run without a servo saver.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Tech Addict

Default While on the subject of servo savers....

does anyone know which Kimbro servo saver fits on a KO-Propo? Someone told me the Futaba will fit. Does anyone know this for sure? Thanks
Old 02-10-2003, 01:51 AM
dw
Tech Adept

Is it a plastic or a metal geared servo?

For the metal geared servos use anything that fits airtronics.
If you have a plastic geared servo though the airtronics will be too loose and probably strip. You can squeeze a futaba horn on to the plastic geared servos but it is a very tight fit. It won't fit on to the metal geared version.

The plastic ouput splines can also be a loose fit in a number of ko servo horns as well. - This isnt just on one servo I've got either. It has happened on all three of my plastic geared ko servos.

Note: I've never actually used kimborough servo horns but they should be the same as most other brands.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just picked up and almost finished building my xxx-s!!!!

I cant wait to run this car.

I have a couple of questions.

I am noticing a little rubbing between the spur gear and the belt tensioner. Am I suppose to trim down the spur gear (its the 64 pitch 128t losi)?

Anyone have any issue with 26mm foams rubbing on the front shocks?

Thanks for any help...
Old 02-10-2003, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

yes, thats been the biggest problem with the g+ kit imo.

they've gone to a shorter axle so now if you use an ae hex or whatever to space the wheel out, there's barely any threads left for the wheel nut to thread onto.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

Hi,

thanks for the response about the servo saver. I am running a JR 8450. it is a metal geared servo. Dave K. I will try the washer on the servo saver. I have a 3mm hex head bolt in right now. I was going to run without one to see if it was the servo saver but thought better of it.

Superbike2001:

Hi,

I ran into the same problem with the MF gear adaptor and a 128 Kimbrough gear. I ended up bending the alumium part of the belt tensioner out and then bent the part that the pully back just enough so it will track straight with the belt. some slight triming with a dremel tool may be needed on the alumium part.

as for 28mm foam tires I went to a ball cup in place of the lower shock end. this seeemed to help.

Shock shafts,

I am running the coated AE shock shafts without any leakage problems. why?????? no losi parts around where I race.

Has anyone found the Yellow belt at their LHS yet?????????? no place around us has them.....or any other Losi spares.

Thanks for all your help.

Fakk2
Old 02-10-2003, 08:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Fakk2 & Tones

Thanks

I will try these fixes.
About the Losi parts. This seems common all around. I have this probelm with my Xray as well. Not good at getting parts out... WHY???
Old 02-10-2003, 12:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I ordered mine last week(yellow belt)from my LHS and had it in 2 days.Your LHS is NOT on the ball,Losi has them and a few LHS in my area have them on the wall now.If your LHS does not have losi parts ask them to order the parts for you,most of the time they will.And if not mail order the parts.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by tones
yes, thats been the biggest problem with the g+ kit imo.

they've gone to a shorter axle so now if you use an ae hex or whatever to space the wheel out, there's barely any threads left for the wheel nut to thread onto.
Probably why the kit comes with the low profile nuts.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:43 PM
Tech Adept

Superbike2001 - the issue you are having with your tensioner has to do with the assembly of it. The pulley is a very snug fit on the bearing. What happens is that you haven't gotten the bearing seated all the way down to the bottom of the pulley. It can even be that in the process of getting the bearing in there, flashing has gotten under the bearing and limits it from being pressed all the way down.

There is no need to bend the mount or do any dremmeling if you have the tensioner assembly together properly. Here's what I've found help to get that together right. Take the assembly out of the car. Place it on something that has a hole big enough for the screw head to sit in but the white pulley can rest on the surface of. Something like a bearing, or even another of the same pulley if you have one. Now take one of your hex wrenches or something that you can use to press with on the end of the screw that's threaded into the aluminum. You can try just pushing down really hard with the wrench or tap on it with something like a hammer. When its seated properly, most of the screw head will stick out beyond that side of the pulley which is why you can not put it together by just laying it on a flat surface. That's what most people do which causes this problem in the first place.

Now about the parts. Losi just moved into a new facility. They have also experienced tremendous demand growth for the XXX-S due to its popularity. If you are having problems getting some of the parts, it won't be for long as this has never been a pattern in the past for Losi. But also make sure that your LHS is ordering and stocking what you need as well.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Dave,

Correct me if I am wrong, but Losi moved their offices during the month of december - there is no reason why we should be seeing the effects now - I would have understood in the following weeks of the move - but the parts shortage is beginning to get old!

The graphite plus car came with a number of improvements, yes, but these parts have been difficult at best to obtain, whether it is from your local hobby shop or through direct suppliers such as horizon.

Regarding the spur gear issue - (and I completely agree with the building tips for the idler pully) Yes, the parts are warped.... and this is evident by utilizing the different spurs... While this does not seem to present much of a performance issue, it is a subtle annoyance to see the spur gear not spinning true.

Wilde
Old 02-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Not to defend LOSI, but yes they moved in December, but they also told suppliers NOT to ship them order in December from what I hear. It will take a little while to get the supply back up at LOSI after not acccepting product for that time period. I think it was poor timing on their part to move right after a new off-road(XXX4) comes out and a redefined on-road(XXXS-GP) and the christmas season lots of peaople buying R/C Cars that time of year..
Old 02-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Tech Addict

Jeff -

Actually, defend away - I would!! Losi's track record in the past has been nothing short of stellar... but, as you stated, the timing of the move and the new cars posed a logistics problem for them that I doubt was thought through well enough...

Wilde
Old 02-10-2003, 02:53 PM
Tech Adept

tufferwilde - the only part that had been known to warp was the spur gear. All of the other parts of that mechanism are fine, true and straight. If the pulley doesn't go around straight, again that would be an assembly issue. But Losi made a recent running change to the spur gears and they are much more consistantly straight. You are right that the wobble that some were having experience with did not affect performance other than perhaps psychologically..hehe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.