R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-15-2003, 03:25 AM   #4966
Tech Apprentice

What are the main advantages (or disadvantages) of the Yellow belt over the original Blue belt when used in STOCK or MODIFIED?
senna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:45 AM   #4967
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
Slicks weigh less than treads, and most inserts are lighter than the losi pieces....... With the right wheel/tire/insert combo rubbers should be as light as if not lighter than foams....... [/B]
That fact alone should get me down to weight with rubbers. Glad to know it's just the stock wheels/tyres/inserts and not all rubber tyre combos.
sleek the elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 08:33 AM   #4968
Tech Addict

Ortiz - You don't want to run the stock black spring retainers anyways - pick up the Trinity ones instead - the black plactic ones will actually get loose really fast and actually change position on the shock....

Senna - Losi claims efficiency... but I have also noticed more punch out of the car - the belt isn't stretching and rebounding. This seems to work well in both stock and mod. I too would stay away from cutting the belt in half, the very small gain isn't worth the chance of the belt breaking and not finishing a race!

Those with glitching issues.... Yes, the batteries can cause glitching when they come into contact with the chassis... but also pay VERY clost attention to where the antenna runs in respect to the chassis - don't let it touch the chassis itself.

For those of you looking to lose weight on the cars... be careful of what you mill out on the chassis - especially the G+, it has already been milled out. Take the weight out of other areas - such as the body itself, its amazing how much paint can weigh!! Following that, I went to aluminum screws... still haven't broken one on the car. BUT remember that the most important areas on the car to take the weight from are all of the rotating parts... ie, pinion, axles, wheel/tire combo, etc. The weight in those areas actually has the effect of that weight squared (if memory serves from physics) SO, start there before you start milling anything out on the chassis, or taking other parts off of the car.

If you carry the corner speed, the acceleration difference for an ounce of weight won't matter.... better lines, not more holes in the car.

Wilde
Old 01-15-2003, 08:40 AM   #4969
Regional Moderator
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

hey guys quick question , i have the graphite car now and enjoy it. but my question is : is it worth buying the new G+ or just add the new parts to my graphite car that i have? is there much difference between the 2 to justify buying the new car?

Im sure glad someone talked me into this xxxs car
Ko Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 08:50 AM   #4970
Tech Addict

Put it this way - the car comes withclose to $250 of parts you would purchase anyways.... But the car is still the same basic car - if you already have all of the add-ons on your XXXS, I wouldn't pick it up.

Wilde
Old 01-15-2003, 09:17 AM   #4971
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

I had been running the original XXX-S since a week or two after it was released. Kit #3 from my hobby shop.. I just bought a Graphite Plus on New Years day, put it together that night, and raced it the next sunday. There is a difference! I put Paul's carpet nats setup into the car, with the only changes being the new rear end parts, and silver springs all the way around. I was happy with the car on the first run.

A week after that was the Novak USTC race @ S&N Trackside. I was debating on running my old car untill after the USTC, as I was afraid it would take a while to free up, the belt to situate, all that good stuff.. I ran the car for about one hour total on the T-35 @ 2v with an old (junk) mod motor just to free up the drivetrain. I also degreased only the bearings inside the tunnel, left all the bearings in the carriers alone.. The car, after one race, and about one hour total on the T-35 ( 5-10minutes at a time), the graphite plus rolls better than my old car!

The first race with it, the diffs weren't even broken in.. They kept coming loose untill the last heat.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 10:02 AM   #4972
Regional Moderator

I notice most of you guys run carpet tracks with the car ,do you run aspahlt and concrete also with it and does it do as well on those surfaces? i really like the xxxs graphite and i guess should go ahead and buy the G+ but just wanted some insight on the car .

thanks guys
Old 01-15-2003, 11:31 AM   #4973
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

I run on asphault in the summer mostly. I haven't run the GP+ on asphault yet, as outdoor seasons are closed for the winter.

-Troy
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 02:28 PM   #4974
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by tufferwilde
Ortiz - You don't want to run the stock black spring retainers anyways - pick up the Trinity ones instead - the black plactic ones will actually get loose really fast and actually change position on the shock....

Hey can you give me the part number?? Can't seem to find them!!
Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 03:04 PM   #4975
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford
Default Trinity Shock Collars

TK3048-Trinity blue shock collars
TMF1121-Trinity red shock collars
Old 01-15-2003, 03:36 PM   #4976
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to ijnek

i run my xxxs on parking lot surface n the best thing tat i like is the sealed drive belt.small rocks n sands r not a problem...
jus have 2 take care of the ride height...
ijnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 03:39 PM   #4977
Tech Regular

I've never even put the stock plastic collars on my shocks, I got the Trinity blue ones. They work excellently, look cool and most importantly go well with my blue option parts, and my XXX-S is dialed with blue springs front and rear
LouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 03:39 PM   #4978
Tech Addict

TSR6 - I too have been running the XXXS since the day it was avail... but to be quite honest there is very little difference in the car from the car I had raced until I picked my G+ up.

The short shocks, alum CVD's, Ti turnbuckles, etc. are all race parts which most people racing the XXXS on a daily basis have already put on their cars.

The new belt, shock tower, and rear end are a running change, the chassis is milled out further - but the other changes are also running changed (ackerman, battery slots, etc)

To me - this makes the car no better than the Kinward buggy is to the XXX.

Same car - just nicer trim package.... pimped out like the gold trim caddy's

Wilde
Old 01-15-2003, 03:55 PM   #4979
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ko Racer
I notice most of you guys run carpet tracks with the car ,do you run aspahlt and concrete also with it and does it do as well on those surfaces? i really like the xxxs graphite and i guess should go ahead and buy the G+ but just wanted some insight on the car .

thanks guys

From what Todd Hodge has said. The non offset rear on the lower mount position of the new rear tower works well outside. Gives more bite. Alot of the G+ design changes were mainly for indoor crapet. The ofset rear helps the car turn in faster etc. When racing asphalt the setups seem to favor the nonoffset and high roll position. Really depends on the track layout.

only thing you would get out of buying a new kit is the front and rear stiff bumpers, yellow belt, offset rear arms (which the regular should work outdoor) and rear shock tower.

Now if you don't have the short shocks etc... then I would say yes.

Last edited by ChristopherKee; 01-15-2003 at 03:57 PM.
ChristopherKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:09 PM   #4980
Regional Moderator

thanks guys i guess i will ponder a while on it and see what i come up with i really like new cars who knows!

but thanks to all for the info im learning alot from reading what you guys have to say