R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-31-2002, 01:37 AM   #4801
Tech Initiate

Thanks Jeff,

By the way, I've run nothing but Pro Match cells since my return to racing 2 years ago and I am very pleased. I've got two packs of HV NmH's with 1.157 avg. voltage from you that I'm very proud of. Thanks again for your great service.
I_GhostTown_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 06:18 AM   #4802
Regional Moderator
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by ChristopherKee
The "Rear Toe" will tell you what rear hubs are being used. If you have the G+ the new sheet has a box for regular or offset.

I got it christopher and thank you for all your help
Ko Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 07:19 AM   #4803
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to hicheef
Default Shock's lower pivot ball

Mornin',

Anybody else have trouble getting the 4-40 screw to hold the bottom shock eye to the arm through the aluminum pivot ball? What'd you do? It's like the damn hole in the balll is a hair to small. Don't really want to start hoggin out the hole but with the Holidays Losi is a bit slow getting back to me. Think they are moving this week. Any input is appreciated.

Kevin
hicheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 07:30 AM   #4804
Tech Regular

The screw should go through it easily, just try and clear out the hole, or drill it iff you have to.

Put a washer on the screw before you put it through the pivot ball so the shock won't fall off in a crash I've had that happen to me before
LouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 07:53 AM   #4805
Tech Regular

I had the problem with the alu rose balls being too small, I didn't have any drill bits the right size and I figured I would damage the surface if I tried to put them in a vice, so I just used a file. Let me say that that is the hardest f*$#ing aluminium I've ever seen. I eventually wore it down enough to force the screw in, then work it back and forth until it loosened up a bit.

I also had the problem with the diff nut, I used the tapper screw and worked it back and forth until it was through.

Did anyone have problems tapping the holes for the diff cover screws? I don't have a tapper for that size and they didn't include a screw in the kit. I also seem to have misplaced my 0.050 driver so I had to use the included allen keys to try and do them up with. I stripped both ends of two allen keys and was onto my third by the end. Once again, I had to screw it in a quarter turn at a time, working it back and forth until I could turn it another quarter turn.

My last problem was the plastic shock collars only screw on a little way, then are way too tight to go any further... I ended up just using a set of spare aluminium ones that I had. I use plastic ones on my off-road Losis to save those last few grams of weight.

Happy new year!!!
sleek the elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 07:55 AM   #4806
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Re: Shock's lower pivot ball

Quote:
Originally posted by hicheef
Mornin',

Anybody else have trouble getting the 4-40 screw to hold the bottom shock eye to the arm through the aluminum pivot ball? What'd you do? It's like the damn hole in the balll is a hair to small. Don't really want to start hoggin out the hole but with the Holidays Losi is a bit slow getting back to me. Think they are moving this week. Any input is appreciated.

Kevin
It's actually the perfect size. Since it fits snug, it will seem to be small if your angel of entry is slightly off. Since the ball turns in the eyelet it's easy to come in at an angel.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:02 AM   #4807
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JitsuGuy

Do the guys that ran at the big Tulsa race have a setup for me? I race there and I'm a newbie and trying to find the right setup. I have the original XXX-S but it's all graphite now.

I'd like to know droop, springs, shock oil, tires, inserts, kick-up, castor, ride height, well, pretty much everything... I need a good starting point... There's a guy here that races the XXX-S and it's dialed, but I don't talk to him much as I hate to bother him.

Thanks so much!
Jits
JitsuGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 09:33 AM   #4808
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

I know Doug and Jeff have something from tulsa. From what I've heard Dougs car was pretty strapped up there. You might also talk to Jon Fenamore I think is his name. His car looked dialed and even took 2nd place in mod.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:22 PM   #4809
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 206 (100%+)

what is all needed for a diff rebuild? Can someone give me the part numbers I will need? I think my front diff is going, the rear feels great though.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 03:51 PM   #4810
Tech Master

I usually just start by changing out the diff balls (and thrust balls)... Usually does the trick. If the rings are shot you can replace them to. I use the Niftec balls (100) for $8 I think...
Old 12-31-2002, 06:31 PM   #4811
Tech Legend

how do you know if the rings are shot?
Old 01-01-2003, 01:10 AM   #4812
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Shock's lower pivot ball

Quote:
Originally posted by ChristopherKee
It's actually the perfect size. Since it fits snug, it will seem to be small if your angel of entry is slightly off. Since the ball turns in the eyelet it's easy to come in at an angel.
No, the holes were actually slightly too small on my kit at least, not every hole is the exact same size there is a thing called tolerance. I know where you are coming from with the angle of entry, but you really don't think that we would have tried absolutely everything before trying to enlarge the holes ?
sleek the elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 04:29 AM   #4813
Tech Master

... Damn tolerance. I knew I should have studied harder is school.

Cain-
If the rings have grooves warn in them.. they are shot.
Old 01-01-2003, 05:59 AM   #4814
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info. So I need to replace both sets of balls, thrust and diff, and the rings if grooves are worn in to them. Sounds good.

Are any shops getting the low roll centers made by losi in?
Old 01-01-2003, 09:49 AM   #4815
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

You can flip the diff rings over,With the losi diff's you dont need to replace the diff balls every time you re-build,What you do need to replace is the thrust balls & rings(looks like small washers)The stock diff balls cost about $11 a set (carbide steel).The thrust balls/rings & lube is $5,the monster diff screw/nut is also $5,the diff rings are $2.50.So to go through and replace everything your looking at about $25.I replace the diff balls every 4th to 5th rebuild(I replace them when the diff no longer feels smooth)
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote