R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2002, 12:39 PM   #4786
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 206 (100%+)

Hey all,

Got done with some more racing sunday. We had two guys with the new XXX-S GP . One guy had the car for about two weeks and the other was his first time out. myself and one of the GP guys qualified for the A-main and battled it out till he barely beat me out for 2nd. The winner was a TC3 driver, ,he is a fast guy on the track.

Anyway, one thing I noticed is that the low roll centers that come with the XXX-S GP seem to make a world of difference as far as the car's ability to turn quickly so you don't fight with the traction being generated. I am looking to get some of these.

The new body handles well, the wing also felt pretty sturdy. Not sure if I like all the milling on the chassis though. The rear hubs are pretty weak, didn't take but two light wacks for the drivers to replace there GP hubs. I am running the stock plastic hubs, seem to hold up much better.

Now my issue is this. When racing I noticed that the TC3 driver was able to stay on power and attain a higher speed through the corners. His driving skills are good, but his car also seemed to keep traction all through the turns easier than our XXX-S'. He told us after the race that he doesn't run any droop on his TC3 since when your car rolls hard your other side wheel will lift up and lose traction. The carpet isn't smooth any more, so I am wondering should i increase droop (make the shock longer travel longer) too allow more contact with the ground and hence traction? I am currently running 3mm all around, I am considering going to 5mm all around droop wise.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 12:50 PM   #4787
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ko Racer
TSR6.......Thank you for the link I will check them out

T.Hodge..... Its funny you say that because i just set the car up to your set up.my only question is what rear hubs are you using?
I notice they dont mention that on the sheets not unless Im not looking in the right area

The "Rear Toe" will tell you what rear hubs are being used. If you have the G+ the new sheet has a box for regular or offset.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:07 PM   #4788
Tech Regular

Hi Guys, my GP finally rocked up the day before christmas, so as I was wrapping presents at the time, I wrapped it up and put "from santa" on it.... I figure no-one is ever going to get me an RC-Car for christmas so I might as well.

With the droop screws, what is losi's reasoning behind putting them in the flexible plastic bumper ? I mean you can still get consistent droop, but you can actually push the suspension down further than that point. I guess that doesn't really matter when you think about it, but it does seem odd.
sleek the elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 04:19 PM   #4789
Tech Initiate

Thats a dang good idea. I held my breath hoping for a new xxx-4 or a nitro mt of some sort to use as a backyard basher. Xmas morning I was still blue in the face. B-day is tommorrow though so I've got my fingers crossed.
I_GhostTown_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 04:21 PM   #4790
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

Doug, any word on what kinda surface Enid is going to use for the onroad track?
Old 12-30-2002, 07:42 PM   #4791
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Evil_S10

Anyone got a new edition or old edition graphite chassis they would like to sell? Please e-mail me at Evil_s10@hotmail.com if you do.

Thanks,
Matt
Evil_S10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:36 PM   #4792
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

David, I talked to Darrin at the big Tulsa race. He was there to race but also wanted to check out Randy's surface. He liked the surface but did not think price wise it would fit into their plans. With as large of a track as they plan on havig it would be very costley to put o nthe rolled surface. His thoughts on that race day was to try and copy the surface from the current track. Not real hard on tires and is a racey surface.

Cool on the Losi car...I know Doug and I put some time on some carpet tuning. The car can run with those tc3s on the rug...just takes a little work!

Jeff Werner
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:20 PM   #4793
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Jeff-just off subject for a second-did you get my reply on the rev.3? The car rocks-you'll love it!!!

My thoughts on Losi on carpet
I now own and have driven the Tc3 in many configurations and set-ups and the same with my two Losi XXXS'. I have to say its a lot easier to get a single flying lap with the TC3. You have to do some crazy stuff on the Losi to get it dialed (tank you Todd for the help there!!!) -but when its good-its as fast as a Tc3 and much easier to drive lap after lap after lap!!!

I still say the single fast lap award goes to the Tc3 and the consistency award goes to the Losi. I am making the GP+ modifications to my car for this Sunday-so it may very well be a fastest lap contender now with my Tc3!!

My 0.02 cents and I am not starting a flame war!!! Actually in one week-I'll also have a Tamiya TB EVO3 to compare to both the TC3 and Losi as well.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:27 PM   #4794
Tech Champion

Does anybody know any companies that make BLUE XXX-S stuff. I know trinity has a few things like shock collars, screws, nuts, and small stuff like that. Thanks.

-Sushi Boy
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:33 PM   #4795
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Doug Gaut

Ray, Jeff forwarded the email to me, his teamate, on the Rev3 and I wanted to say thanks. The car is SWEET! Jeff is in love with the car.

We started with the Hodge setup for Cleveland and made some adjustments since the track was real tight and only had one fast sweeper. We made the car more agressive which helped alot. I agree with you on the stability factor too!
Doug Gaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:35 PM   #4796
Tech Elite

Got your email and your info was great! set the car up using your information and the car was fast! Did not get to race it because the time we spent on the Losi car. Also found out that Jaco rims break...on the 12th car...hit a guy's car park in the sweeper and I was going full speed...he did not have a body on his mini and I did not have 4 wheels on the car after the hit...

But you set up info was dead on!

I also agree with your explanation of the two cars. I drove a buddies tc3 a few laps on carpet this past weekend. man you can rip off a fast one! The car was different than my losi. I was able to make it in the A because of my consistancy...not my blistering one lap runs. Interesting that you thought the same think I expereinced this weekend.

Jeff Werner
Team Promatch
Old 12-30-2002, 09:41 PM   #4797
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Jeff and Doug, Awesome on the rev.3!!!

On the Losi-I keep going from excessive exit steering (with anti-dive and lots of castor) to no on-power steering at apex, but I am getting really close now!! I went with mid-roll center front and a tad bit of kick-up in inner hingepins and 4 degrees of Castor and am really likeng the steering all the way through the corner. But this is with a ton of steering throw and I baiscally nail the throttle and turn the wheel all the way fromt start to end of corner. Now I get to try the offset rear hubs and yellow belt!! Todd says that'll just dial the car in on carpet!!! I cannot wait to try it!!!
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:53 PM   #4798
Tech Initiate

Being a carpet guy myself, am I correct in assuming that the G+ tackles carpet tracks more aggresively than the "original" xxx-s? Of weight and chassis stiffness are a large factor but there's only an average of about 20 guys racing tc's at my club track so the competition isn't super fierce compared to say any So Cal tracks or large carpet tracks back east. With a 60/40 TC3 to XXX-S mix you'll find every car in the A-main (only 6 to 8 cars per heat and main) is a Losi almost every race. My car being bone stock other than some Trinity aluminum shock mounts and bearings in the bellcrank, I consistantly make the A and contend for the TQ. I read a previous thread mentioning that you have to put alot of work into a Losi to go fast on the carpet. If I'm doing pretty well with a plastic and steel roller, think I could knock a few tenths off with a G+? I've been frugal with my R/C funds lately because I'd like to get a XXX-4 for the spring but I'd consider a G+ now if I was pretty sure it would drop my times.
I_GhostTown_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 10:05 PM   #4799
Tech Elite

I did want to clear one area of my post up....by work I do not imply that the losi needs hours apon hous or work to get it to go well on the carpet. We have used a base version of Paul or Todd's Cleveland set up. Tuned to fit the exact conditions of the track. The work is more fine tuning than massive wrenching or construction of new parts. I would say that we did find the Team PRP Graphite Front and Rear shock towers to be very helpful in dialing in the losi on carpet....Really like the ability to change the row on the camber links.

Jeff Werner

Team Promatch Batteries
Old 12-30-2002, 11:17 PM   #4800
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Doug Gaut

Whats nice is that all you need is a base setup that is posted on the Losi website and tune from there. The car is so responsive to little adjustments that you can fine tune the setup real easy!! The car is so stable to begin with. It really didnt take much work to go fast with it on carpet. The new rear end will help drop lap times as it helps the car turn easier and squares up quicker.

Doug
Doug Gaut is offline   Reply With Quote