R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-20-2002, 07:09 PM   #4396
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

STL, that's why you should always airbrush instead of using paint cans. It keeps the weight off, and oh BTW, one color of paint is always lighter and faster......hehehehehehehhe...hahahaha

STL, you got a good carpet/foam set-up? Thanks!

2016 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 07:52 PM   #4397
Tech Champion

ASM- I can't email you so drop me a line PM with an email address and I can send you what I ran on the rug with rubber. I'm still learning the foam game but Todd has been there to lend some help and Matt Francis has started running too so I expect to be on a national level by the end of carpet season....LMAO
Old 11-20-2002, 08:00 PM   #4398
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Matt who?
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 08:40 PM   #4399
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Howard
Matt who?
The real Matt, that's who. I forgot if you told me if you were racing next Wednesday. It should be a great turnout in mod.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:45 PM   #4400
Tech Champion

that all depends if I get my batteries by then or not, I'm not betting on it. All you have to know is that the "real" Matt won the last time the two Matt's raced. I know I'll only beat him 1% of the time but by god I won the last time we raced!
Old 11-20-2002, 09:06 PM   #4401
Tech Champion

1% huh..... I'm thinking more of 0.000001%
Old 11-20-2002, 09:07 PM   #4402
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to ijnek

i currently have the .28 threaded shocks in the front and the .36 threaded shocks in the rear.jus wondering if any1 tried using .36 shocks in the front b4 and wat's the main difference in handling?...

if i'm not wrong,normally most 3xs drivers would use the .28 in the front n .36 in the rear rite?...
ijnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 09:39 PM   #4403
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Blakesrc
Default Low Roll Center Blocks

I am just curious if any of you guys are using low roll center blocks on your car? If so, are they for certain track situations or are they a good all round part? When would they be a good or bad idea to use and who makes them?

Blake

P.S. Thanks to Shrek, Dave K and all for the setup tips last week, I had my car dialed last weekend, Another tq and 1st!
Blakesrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 10:16 AM   #4404
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Koya Dale.com

futureal: the springs on the losi servo server is flimsy... try buying the tamiya servo saver set and use the springs for ur losi. the springs are a perfect fit to the stock losi servo arm no trimming whatsoever after this my car was never off trimmed
Koya Dale.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 10:49 AM   #4405
Tech Master

I would actually just replace the Losi servo saver with the Tamiya High Torque Servo Saver (Tamiya part# 50473.) IMO, it's the best servo saver made by any manufacturer.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:13 PM   #4406
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to ijnek

i dunno abt u guyz,but i have problems with the tamiya high torque servo saver...most ppl i know says they r not good,n after my personal experience,i dun like them either...
try kimbrough or kawada's...i prefer them better...
ijnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 02:02 AM   #4407
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner

ijnek - I believe the main reason that the .28 shock is used in front has to do with keeping the piston surrounded in oil when the shock is compressed. When you use a longer shock like the .36 shock, the shock shaft has to be retracted more into the body of the shock to maintain the same proper ride height. This brings the piston inside very close to the top of the shock. Now when the shock needs to go up further, you can almost "bottom out" the shock and get into the air of the shock.

Also, if you use limiters inside the shock as opposed to droop screws, its gets a little rediculous with the longer shock.

Blakesrc - Glad to hear your car is working good. About roll center. I have been racing both rubber tire and foam tire setups using low rollcenter. However I've been running a "mid-rollcenter" setup in front. Both Speedtech and Trinity make aluminum sets of these blocks that are both low and high roll center. Losi is just now releasing low roll center blocks with the new XXX-s Graphite Plus kit. Or if you are ambitious and have a file, just try to evenly grind off .150" from your normal blocks.

Your question is interesting about when to use which. If you are running in lower traction conditions, you may want to use a high roll center setting with softer springs. In essence, here's what you'll notice in the car's handling as you raise these blocks. Draw an imaginary line down the center of the bottom of your car's chassis. When your car goes around a corner it leans. In general, when you use low roll center blocks, the outside half of the car will drop or dig into the track and the inside half will remain relatively close to its original ride height. As you raise the roll center blocks (using something like .075" washers or the full high roll center blocks) the outside half of the car will drop some but less and the inside of the car will almost lift or roll over the chassis more. In many cases, either set of blocks will work with the proper spring/oil/setup combo. So as traction goes down, raise your roll center until your outside wheels have the bite you want. As traction gets higher, lower it and you will most likely corner faster and rely on the outside wheels traction more.

Servo Saver - In my opinion, the Losi servo saver works well but it relies heavily upon torquing the center screw down very tightly. It even helps if you can fit a washer on the servo screw to make the contact area bigger than just the screw head. When I had mine with the screw just snug, it had play in it and felt loose, but torquing the screw down about as tight as you can get it keeps the mechanisms tight and doesn't allow the servo saver to expand in the wrong directions. If you just have to run an aftermarket saver, try the Serpent or GS savers with the metal centers on them. I haven't checked to see if these fit or not but a fantastic servo saver none the less http://www.mytsn.com/products/product.asp?prid=62
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 05:12 PM   #4408
Tech Apprentice

Default XXX-S and XXX-S GP

just wondering what the differences between the xxx-s and the xxx-s grahite +.
Is it just the bottom graphite chassis that makes the difference or is there more to it? I couldn't find much information on the internet. perhaps someone can point me out.

ps. yes i have looked on the teamlosi webpage. they don't seem to list the EXACT differences, rather "Special Features". I guess those Special Features could be featured in the regular XXX-S.
taybelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 06:32 PM   #4409
Tech Champion

it's got graphite everything, ti turnbuckles, new yellow belt, new rear shock tower with different camber mount holes, new offset hubs and arms, new Losi Alfa body included, gold shock shafts, threaded shock bodies, bumpers made out of stiffer material, new bumper brace, and I'm sure I'm missing something. It's basically all the Losi hopups in one kit
Old 11-22-2002, 07:21 PM   #4410
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

this is STLNLST not Mo....you forgot the new Losi 24mm rims