Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Old 08-16-2002, 12:51 PM
OBY
Tech Apprentice

Springs

i'm a touch confused at the losi springs... guys hear me out.

i used to run my pro2 with 80wt oil and purple losis all round, it was glued to pretty much any track. i ended up putting hpi yellow springs on the front, with are a tiny bit softer, allowing a bit more steering.

now i bought my losi last year, the stock springs are purple and silver...thats a huge difference, massive understeer i thought, so the silver springs have never graced my car.

first night running i had purples all round (slippy floor) and it was good, nice and safe.

going onto tarmac i used a similar setup, 80wt oil etc, and it was ok, i've changed to blue springs on the front which helps turn in alot on tighter tracks, purple all round on faster tracks, and blacks all round on high bite stuff.

now what i dont get it how u guys can run such soft springs on the rear without bad upset handling?? i mean, kinwald runs silver and pink springs on low bite, i run on low bite, the car would pitch and roll with scraping of the chassis surely???

on low bite i run blues up front and purple rear, its weird, i seem to be the only losi driver with softer (and a fair bit) springs up front.

is it me? am i a destined world champion? or something else?

i know theres ALOT more to setup than springs, but its puzzling me!!!
Old 08-16-2002, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

OK, I am running the gearing in the manual for most tracks, but some are open, some are tight. I'll have to do some testing
For the last race I changed the camber links, shock angles, arm spacing, roll center, went from underdrive to overdrive and changed the sway bar, perhaps a it too much, but it worked, the question is what worked
Old 08-16-2002, 01:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

kinwalds cars have a ton of sterring built into them.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:43 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

at our track it is really rough. Hopefully we will get it repaved soon. But I run the stock springs, 2 degree kickup up front, kit tires, and 30 weight oil in the rear, 80 up front. I have adjusted the left of my rear rods but other than that my car is dialed in.

The weird thing about our track is that slicks actually hook up better but the track is REALLY RUFF! I am thinking of going to some slicks I got in (I think they are HPI super slicks) but when using them last, everything else the same, I was loose in the rear. The car through seemed faster than when running my worn down (basically slicks now) stock tires. Then again that stupid insert that losi includes seperated so I got flat spots on my tires.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:11 PM
Tech Legend

I am looking to buy some parts for my XXX-S and I have a few questions:

1) Will tamiya aluminum Hex adapters #TAM 53056 work on my vehicle? I am looking for something stronger than the stock plastic.

2) how much of weight difference will I notice with titanium hinge pins versus the stock ones?

3) Will Trinity's heatsink that was used on the Street Weapon (the one that the motor mounted to) work well with my vehicle or should I get a more traditional clip on heat sink like the TC3's.

4) how much better is the matt francis foam bumper than the stock one? I am running the BRP front bumper (the plastic one) up front.

Here is what I am looking at getting so far:

1) Lunsford XXXS titanium turnbuckles
2) RPM Ball cups
3) RPM Camber Gauge (no more borrowing)
4) Ofna Blue Anodized 4mm Aluminum Wheel nuts
5) Lunsford Hinge pins
Old 08-16-2002, 03:16 PM
OBY
Tech Apprentice

i can answer two of them...

3) Will Trinity's heatsink that was used on the Street Weapon (the one that the motor mounted to) work well with my vehicle or should I get a more traditional clip on heat sink like the TC3's.
yes it does, i've used it, works ok...preferred my clip on one though.

1) Lunsford XXXS titanium turnbuckles
i use them, allows for better camber link setup (more choice)

had no probs with them so far.

has anyone tried schumacher ball cups?? i've tried them on my rear hubs, they're so strong its amazing, work really well.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If I were to run green springs up front and silver in the rear, what pistons and oil do I run? Right now I have 60 all the way around>
Old 08-16-2002, 03:29 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Cain

4) how much better is the matt francis foam bumper than the stock one? I am running the BRP front bumper (the plastic one) up front.
I had the Street Weapon / XX4 heatsink on my X-S for a couple months, I do not run it anymore though. http://www.shearracing.com/tsr6/xxxs/losichassis1.jpg <- pic from about a year ago.

I also run the MF foam bumper. I like it alot more than the stock one. Much more dense. I do not like the Krydex bumper brace that it is designed to be used with though. Mine snapped, and i have heard the same from other people.

-Troy
Old 08-16-2002, 07:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey Guys,

this thread is a great resource...I've learned alot in the past few weeks reading it (had my xxx-s for about a month now...3rd race with it tomorrow). I'm pretty comfortable with getting the car setup, and even at my first race I had a pretty good handling car...last race it was even better (small changes...one at a time).

I have a couple of ???'s

1. Has anyone else had trouble with the quality of the 64p spurs? I've gotten 3 of them (2 118's and a 108) and all of them had problems....the 118's weren't "true" (serious runout issues) and the 108 had a serious groove on about 1/4 of the teeth. And yes, the gears weren't true...I checked everything (assembly, mounting, etc) and I have the mf adapter - with a true std spur, it's true as can be...

2. Is there a replacement outdrive cup set that is available? I broke one last week and was wondering if there's a stronger, but still light replacement (I've seen the delrin ones on the xxx-s faq page..any US distributer?)

Otherwise, the car has been great. I haven't raced in many years (er 13 to be exact) and a lot has changed in the decade plus offtime....but I'm already having good success with the car. Not winning yet, but definately keeping up

Cheers,

Rich
Old 08-16-2002, 11:41 PM
Tech Addict

i do have that problems about 64 pitch gears, very disappointed
they are not true, and they sounds like some rocks gets between the teeth
Old 08-16-2002, 11:53 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I havent had a gear quality problem yet. I did get a small piece of sand stuck between them once though... chewed up the pinion, not the spur ( the sand was accually in the spur...doh. )

-Troy
Old 08-17-2002, 12:37 AM
Tech Addict

oh man
i can see that the spur gear tilted to one side by just spinning it after i put it onto the chassis......without the belt attched to it.

i am considering the spur gear adaptor now
Old 08-17-2002, 03:17 AM
Tech Master

All the Losi spurs will be like that but it doesn't affect performance. I run the 118 and have had no problem for months.
Old 08-17-2002, 06:11 AM
Tech Legend

make sure the whole spur gear assembly is fully seated. I ran into this issue where my gear would wobble and it wasn't fully down.
Old 08-17-2002, 06:14 AM
Tech Legend

I ran a recent race where I was using 2400s with a 19 Turn Chameleon motor, geared with a 20 Tooth pinion and stock spur gear, Novak Cyclone (purple model) and I dumped right at the end. Do I need to change my gearing? The batteries were fine, But I am wondering if I am having too much current draw with the motor and the gearing. Any Ideas? I am thinking of going to 3000s, how much difference will I notice? we run only stick unmatched packs to keep the costs down.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.