Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 10:06 AM
ttr
Tech Apprentice

Default Foam tires on asphalt?

Do you run foams on outdoor prepared asphalt tracks? If yes can you give me some setup tips? What should I change first on a good rubber tires setup to start with foams? Should I use a front one-way with foams?

The story is that on our track the foams work better than rubber tires on the very hot days in modified class. Some weeks before the best Xray drivers begin to use Ellegi foams (1/10 wide gas car front tires) 35/40 hardness, front one-way and a fixed rear diff. So absolutely no diffs on the car. Their car drives like a 1:8 scale big nitro car. Until that I had the track record with the Losi but they are now half second faster.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

good point, i would also add though that i havent had any problems and i never remember which way my losi diff's go in
Old 07-31-2002, 11:38 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by shrekair
good point, i would also add though that i havent had any problems and i never remember which way my losi diff's go in
I've had my diff's loosen up majorly twice in the year that i've had mine. The first time was most likely from a worn lock-nut. It was the stock..original locknut.

The second time, beats the piss outa me, it just happened.

-Troy
Old 07-31-2002, 01:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

but there again, that could happen to anybody with any diff. i've just never had it happen. some shit's funny that way.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

asphalt foam, and rubber carpet run similar as far as i know. a couple setups use a little heavier rear shock oil wt then front. the best advice i could give you is to put the foams on ur car as it is, and just drive it. then make changes accordingly. go up or down shock oil depending on how your car bites. w/o knowing more about ur situation, i'd try congo blue front springs and losi black rear springs. and something like 60wt rear and 50 wt front oil. try the one way, some people like it, some dont. i'd start at a 41/42 underdrive no oneway.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Default XXX-S breakages

Has anyone managed a foolproof way of not breaking the front C-hubs when clipping boards while racing. Mine seem to be breaking quite easily with only minor hits (basically rubbing) them.
I've tried using low-profile locknuts on the wheels to stop them catching but this doesn't seem to have fixed it. Would a wide bumper work - has anyone else had similr problems.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:37 PM
Regional Moderator

Craig C, BRP wide front bumper
Old 08-01-2002, 07:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

why are u rubbin boards in the first place? boards are slow, unless ur a newbie or a sportsman, then i can see it. otherwise use a wide front bumper
Old 08-01-2002, 08:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Default differential adjustment........

I just built my XXX-S and I'm gonna track test it this afternoon. Much to my disappointment, the Losi manual is noticeably 'light' on instructions for adjusting the differentials. I could adjust the rear diff similar to my XXX-T by holding the right rear tire and spur gear while trying to rotate the left rear tire, but what are you supposed to do about the front diff???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

if it's rubber, run a one-way, otherwise i just use a skinney standard screwdriver and spin the opposite wheel. which ever way the screwdriver fit is how i do it.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default clarification

I'm confused about 'how tight' to adjust the diffs on the XXX-S
Old 08-01-2002, 08:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

tightness of the diff is a handling adjustment. how do u wnat the car to handle? looser rear diff is more steering into, and smooth out, tighter diff is tight getting in, then it steers coming out. i think is the opposite for the front but i never messed w/ my front. just get them feeling the same, and to a point where they are smooth. the diff should move as freely as it can w/o slipping
Old 08-01-2002, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

Run the diffs just tight enough so they do not slip. Usually I run my front diff a little tighter then the rear. You may have to play with the tightness a little to get it wear you want it. The other way is to ask someone who has been running the car for a while to feel the diffs and give there opinion.

Chad
Old 08-01-2002, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: clarification

Originally posted by mrcrowbuster
I'm confused about 'how tight' to adjust the diffs on the XXX-S
With the diffs outside of the car, tighten them untill you cannot spin the diff by hand while holding the two outdrives with something(allen wrenches, etc..)
Old 08-01-2002, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

ChadK- How are things out your way?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.