Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 07:04 AM
Tech Addict

i see

guess i'll open up the car later today to see what's up with the rear diff coz it can move 1-2mm sideways, and the front doesn't have any of those movements.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

deutch - use joel johnson "slippage" diff lube, and either trinity royal oil or the boca bearing lube
Old 06-29-2002, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

I am in need of hop-ups for my XXX-S. If anyone has some that he/she is willing to give up, I would buy them off of their hands.
you can e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 07-02-2002, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Default bearings

does anyone take off one of thier diff bearing seals, flush the thick goo out and replace it with thin bearing oil? I did this as I built my xxx-s, is it a good idea?
Old 07-02-2002, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: bearings

LouisB

Definitely! You will need to take the bearings out regularly and clean and relube them if you do this. Use a light oil. Lots of guys I race with use Mobil1 on their bearings.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

I always re-oil my bearings before a race (some of the tracks I run on are really dusty) Do you think that shielded bearings or bearings with one seal removed are better, smoother, more reliable?
Got a nice new Stratus, did a slick paint job, CS27 tires, all ready for the new season, and the race is cancelled because of the football world cup final (sorry, soccer, don't want to confuse you now) Oh well, it was only a practice, but still sad
Old 07-02-2002, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

I don't ever flush out the factory grease in my bearings. Just take em outta the car and clean the goo and debris off them after every race. Eventually they'll get to wherer there won't be any goo/debris around the seals because their isn't enough factory grease inside the bearing to be flung out-but there's still enough grease inside the bearing and that's a safeguard against friction. You can look at my bearings and they look absolutely new and they've never been taken apart.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: bearings

Originally posted by LouisB
does anyone take off one of thier diff bearing seals, flush the thick goo out and replace it with thin bearing oil? I did this as I built my xxx-s, is it a good idea?
I remove the grease. I just use a bearing blaster, motor spray and don't remove the shields to do it. Reduces the drag.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

I guess it depends on the bearing, but most of them have a really heavy grease in them that never seems to lose much viscosity. That really adds a lot of drag when you have 8 or 10 bearings worth. I do as LouisB suggested and take one shield off, put it in the Integy bearing cleaner tray and spray GHB until the bearings are completely submerged. About 20 minutes in the bearing cleaner and the bearings run really nice and smooth. You get 2 or 3 seconds worth of spin on them with no grease. Once you add light oil, they still spin freely. It's a lot more work since you need to take the car apart and flush the bearings out after each race day, but the drivetrain has substantially less drag.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

I wonder why that grease is in there? Drag-no, to eliminate friction-maybe, heck who knows.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

After the grease is removed it is customary to relube with light oil to reduce friction. Granted that you have to be more diligent in cleaning and relubing than if grease was left in. To each his own.

Last edited by Sydewynder; 07-02-2002 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Someone told me that the grease is in there to stop rust. Now I don't know if they were blowing smoke or not.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

the thick grease inside the bearings is suppose to prolong the maintence time interval by slowing down the dirts from getting to the balls.

to clean out the grease or not depends on how often you want to clean the bearings and how free you want the drive train to be~
Old 07-02-2002, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

Fire, I'm gonna have to disagree with your answer on why bearing manufactures put grease in a bearing.

They wouldn't put grease into a bearing to eliminate debris from entering it. That grease is in there to lubricate the bearing, kinda like oil in your car. The reason why it's so thick is beacause the bearing manufactures know that this grease will be flung out by force from the bearing spinning at a high rpm. The thicker the grease the better it will stay in. This applies to all bearings, they all come with a grease in them. A freeer spinning bearing is not always good, if you don't beleive me take your axle bearings outta that civic, flush all the grease out and relube them with some type of oil, now go out and do about 80 on a hwy, you not gonna be any faster of the line nor top end and after about 20 minutes your gonna be walking into honda to get some new ones. Hey, I don't mean to sound offensive, it just the truth. Nice car.

Last edited by webspinner; 07-02-2002 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:27 PM
Tech Addict

thanks for the info~~~

since those lub aren't slippery at all i thought they are just there to hold dirts~

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.