R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-21-2002, 09:36 PM   #1981
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The aluminum hinge pin mounts? If you are refering to the Matt Francis low roll center blocks, no.. they are not worthless, you want those.

If you have threaded shock bodies and they have the stock plastic "nuts" just pick up a set of aluminum with o-rings. They are only $7 and stay snug.

If you purchased this car on ebay, I think I know the one your are talking about. Everything on that vehicles was useful.

If you haven't followed the low-roll vs high-roll center posts, search these forums. It's the single most important thin about the car you need to know. After that, all you have to do is set it up just like any other Touring Car and your an A main winer.

You will find you can be more agressive in your setups with this car, it is very friendly through the turns. If you are used to TC3 style driving you have to be more consistent on the throttle. This car likes to "flow" around the track, not jerked...

After some time with the car, I can just about drive any track (in stock class) without letting off the throttle. This is what you want to shoot for. It allows you to gear taller for more speed without scrubbing speed through the turns.

Since moving to the XXX-S from my TC3, I have become more consistent a driver and have shaved 1 second off my average lap times. This has put my in the A main every night...

ChristopherKee
ChristopherKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 10:28 PM   #1982
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default ASM

You did the right thing in getting a Losi. I just sold my Mission to get one and raced for the first time last Sunday. No practice two days out the box and I qualified 2nd. I will agree the front end is weak but parts very easy to get. Personally I would say for me the Losi handles like an Schumacher Axis Pro, accelerates like a TC3 and is a peice of cake to work on. Unless you have lots of wrench time you will never get the Mission dialed as it needs constant attention week to week. I personally love both cars but enjoy the freedom the Losi chassis allows me to have.

? for anyone how tight should the belt be when running stock motors.
Ill Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 11:02 PM   #1983
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

ASM- Sounds like you got a LOADED XXX-S. If it has aluminum rear hubs and front knuckles take them off now and put them aseide for resale value should you ever get rid of the car. After my experiences with aluminum parts on the Xpress I feel it is always better to break than to bend. Bent parts make the car harder to set up. Ill Factor hit the nail on the head about what it takes to dial in a Schumacher. If you need any help at all there's always someone on this thread that can help you out. Your hinge pin mounts aren't worthless. I have some on one of my cars. Without seeing your car I don't really know how "free" the spring collars really are. I would just use your best judgement on those. If you run the spur gear adapter only certain spur gears fit on the car. I personally only use Integy spurs but Trinity's fit too. Robinson and Kinbrough are too thick. I forget what kind of surface you race on but you will want to pick up some different springs. I mainly use Purple, blue, and green.

Ill factor- It all depends on what tpe of motor you're running and the track layout. For stock you would want to run the belt somewhat loose.

Potato- That's a pretty open question. You should be able to get a basic idea of the the car from my previuos post. What other cars are you looking to compare??? I have pretty much ever car minus the Xray, Corally, and HPI.
Old 02-22-2002, 05:27 AM   #1984
ASM
Tech Master

CK, I believe they be the Matt Francis pieces. I've got a lot of studying to do. You may be right, this have been the car you saw on E-bay. It does seem to have everything. I guess once I find out how to the roll center changes I be about set. I did quite a bit od thread reading about the Losi and that is the reason I chose it. Plus, I just didn't wanna go to a car with a top plate. I'm excited to give this car a try!

Can someone give me an idea of what pistons and oil to run on a medium traction surface? It would be greatly appreciated. Within a month I will be running on the Daytona Speedway surface which is very high bit, big, fast and flowing. I TQ'd stock last year with my TC3....so I'm hoping for the same this year with the Losi.

That fact that I watched Paul, Brian and David fly on that track at the Snowbirds race helped me decide to go Losi too!

2016 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 07:34 AM   #1985
Tech Champion

ASM- Try using 56 pistons up front and 55 in the rear to start out with. Maybe 50wt frt and 40wt rear with either greenfrt- blue rears or blue frt- silver rears. We will get you dialed in.
Old 02-22-2002, 12:37 PM   #1986
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ill Factor.... I own a Mission and two XXX-s and I love all of them, I have to disagree on setting up the Mission. The Mission is much easier to work with than the Axis, I had no trouble getting it to run as fast as my losi after a couple of weeks racing it and once I found a setup that worked I havent had to change it week to week as some people have said. They are both great cars but both have strong and weak points. Its is just a matter of finding which one suits your driving style and which one is supported in your area with parts.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 01:08 PM   #1987
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Evil_S10

Can anyone point me in the right direction for some good hop-ups on my XXX-S? I have a D4 modified motor on it and a Novak Cyclone C2 speed control. Other than that my car is all stock. Mainly I run my car on asphalt. Any help with Hop-ups and parts that work well would be awesome.
Evil_S10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 01:32 PM   #1988
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Evil,

Take a look at the link to the XXX-S Tech site below.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:15 PM   #1989
ASM
Tech Master

STL, thanks for the help. I'm going this week-end to Orlando to pick-up different piston flavors and probably a one-way and a few other goodies. I'll be putting the first race on it on the 1st Sunday of March.

2016 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 04:13 PM   #1990
Tech Initiate

Send a message via Yahoo to Mad_Cats

Quote:
Originally posted by Potato
Hi guys, I'm just curious about this car. Can you point out what makes this car good? What makes it different/better than other cars? Is it the suspension geometry, drivetrain...? What makes it "faster in the corners" or "accelerate better" or whatever is its advantage? I'm just curious about the different car designs and what makes a 'fast car' fast.
I have been burdened by this question for about 6 months....

Only think I have been able to pin point is Simply Driver Skill
1 1 23 5:08.81 My best this last weekend (XXX-S)
2 3 23 5:09.46 My Girl Friends Best (AE Factory Team)

I my humble most opinion, there are so many differant factors, The car plays just a small Role
Mad_Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 06:18 PM   #1991
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Evil

First two things I bought for mine was the Ti Turnbuckle set & Threaded shock bodies. Every thing elsmy work but is mostly eye candy. I would suggest the wide bumper the guys on here talk about as the front end is somewhat fragile

Thanx for all your help guys great thread
Ill Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 04:25 PM   #1992
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default Blue is better

Check out the results of my first home anodizing project.Blue is better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xxx-s, blue2.jpg (95.7 KB, 199 views)
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 06:40 PM   #1993
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

SSSSWWWWEEEETTTTTT!!!!!
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 07:48 PM   #1994
Tech Regular

Stefan.....dude....that rocks!
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 07:55 PM   #1995
Tech Adept

Default Re: Blue is better

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
Check out the results of my first home anodizing project.
Ithink someone has been playing with Photoshop...
seamus0g is offline   Reply With Quote