R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2002, 05:54 PM   #1876
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey guys I hope that my comments on the Losi being somewhat slower in the stock class than the TC3 didn't tick you all off as that certainly wasn't my intent.

I loved my Losi and had a VERY hard time giving it up about a month ago as it was the best handling car I have EVER driven.

As for stock class racing.....I believe this car can run with the best of them when it's raced on rubber tires or on somewhat large flowing tracks. Unfortunately, the two tracks I typically run on are pretty tight and we only use foams and the TC3's seem to just eat that combination up. Hopefully one of these days a Losi will come along and simply smash the track record currently held by a TC3 owner (who also owned a Losi at one time and had the track record) so I can come back to the car
Schuie Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 06:18 PM   #1877
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Doug Gaut

Does anybody have any setup tips for high bite concrete? We have 2 tracks in our area that are indoor concrete, one is high bite and the other has ludicrous bite!! (More than carpet!) I have been running the setup Hodge put in the Extreme magazine with great success BUT I feel that there is alot left in the car.
I am not currently running a one-way (which i just purchased Sunday) but here is the problem. The first round is great, usually the TQ position comes from the first round, and thereafter the bite seems to come up and so do the lap times. First round times are usually in the 13.0 to 13.2. By the mains the times have risen to 13.5-13.8s. This is consistant for all the makes of cars!
My car feels like as the nite goes on it starts to skate the front end but is loose upon exit too. If I run tires that are rated to the track temp the car is totally stuck!! It feels like a sponge and really heats the motor up so I have stepped up to the next temp rated tire to combat that situation. That is when I get the skate and loose feel. It has left me to believe the setup is incorrect for the amount of traction we have.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do have the current track record at one of the raceways but like I said, there is alot left in the car. Just gotta find it!
Doug
Doug Gaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 06:20 PM   #1878
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Doug,

Which 2 tracks? OKC and where else?
kansasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 06:38 PM   #1879
Tech Master

Doug Gaut

I don't know what changes you have made other than tires to combat the push you (sort of) describe, but keep in mind that the tire is the most coarse change you can make to the setup. I would think that finer adjustments like changing springrates or shock tower position would cure that, if the next step in tire is too great of a change. Using other people's setups will get you in the ballpark, but some fine tuning is usually required to suit your track conditions and driving style.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 07:32 PM   #1880
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

overgear- Try to stick with the stock parts if you can because (IMO) it's better to break plastic (and know it's broken) than to bend aluminum (and not know it) This was always the problem with the Xpress. just my 2 cents.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:17 PM   #1881
Tech Master

kansasracer, I primarily race at Enid,Ok enidrcracing.com

psycho, Believe me, everything you say is correct. Fine tuning is a must.

We have 6 cars that are trying different setups all the time. High/low roll center, firmer springs,etc. We are just hoping that there are other racers out there that are racing on concrete to bounce ideas off of since concrete is so different. Concrete can be cold and still have alot of bite. The track temps run in the 50's and we have ran 24s to 36s with about the same feel. I am hoping that the oneway will be the ticket for more turn-in and punch out of the corner.

Doug
Old 02-12-2002, 08:20 PM   #1882
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JitsuGuy

Doug here in Tulsa Oklahoma at the indoor carpet track which is tight and has serious bite people are running the one-way and tearing up the track. Pretty much, if you want to be competitive here, whether it's the TC3 or the XXX-S, you better have a one-way or you'll get further behind with each turn.

Jits
JitsuGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:30 PM   #1883
Regional Moderator

I know this is the wrong thread but:

Doug,

when does your parking lot racing open in Wichita?

By the way, a few of us are going to the Gas Nats in Ohio, if your interested, maybe a road trip?...
Old 02-12-2002, 09:38 PM   #1884
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

NOt to crack on you Doug but is the track temp 50,or is the temp 50?
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:53 PM   #1885
Tech Master

kansasracer, I will let you know when Eric gets a schedule made. I know he is working on one right now.

littledog, the track surface for the past month has been between 51 deg and 58 deg. The room temperature is in the mid 60s to high 60s.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:01 PM   #1886
Regional Moderator

Doug, just let me know.

To all XXX-s Owners:

I just went over to the HPI forum and Pro 3 owners are tearing up HPI like sharks. I guess there discontinuing it. That car S u c k s...I used to own one...

It's actually kinda funny, or sad however you look at it. I guess you can get the kit for $109 now...

It's just nice to have a car that awesome, and a company like Losi that releases parts in the states, not just Asia.

Go on over if you want a bit of good reading:

www.hpiracing.com look under forums
Old 02-13-2002, 12:03 AM   #1887
Tech Initiate

Default Front C arms the weakest link?

Guys
when I first got my XXXs I went through a bad patch of breaking front c arms almost every meeting I went to although to be honest it was probably because I was going much faster than I ever had and felt like I could push hard through every corner no matter fast, sweeping or slow corners. I tried the graphite parts and that didnt work either, that said as some of you guys have stated the hits the car was taking I deserved to break something. My solution was first toi acknowledge the need to slow down and be a bit more precise with my driving. The second was to purchase a BRP wide bumper (www.brpracing.com/6226.html) which at roughly the same price as a set of front arms was the best investment money could buy (and Bud was even good enough to ship it overseas to me!!). Since I got the bumper I havent broken any front end parts despite taking some huge hits - last night my club ran a very fast and flowing track (kinda pseudo oval!!) and they use 2 inch square guttering to mark the track out. TC3 owners, streetweapon owners and XXXs owners without the BRP bumper were breaking arms like nobodies business, but despite me having some big hits and cartwheels no breakages.

My message is simple if you already have a XXXs get yourself a BRP bumper. If you havent bought a XXXs yet get one soon all the rumours about its speed and forgiving handling are true and for $8.95 you can get an aftermarket hop up (BRP bumper) that makes the front end almost bullet proof!!!!
chownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 07:51 AM   #1888
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I went over to the HPI board and read all of the post about that car. All I can say is the HPI is doing a good job of avoiding specifically asked questions. My LHS doesn't even carry the car or parts anymore. The good thing is that there will be more XXXS purchased pretty soon
Old 02-13-2002, 08:31 AM   #1889
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I am one of the ones on the HPI forum that's getting very frustrated with the car. Yes I picked up a xxx-s due to my frustrations. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet but am very excited to this season. I am sure it will be better than my current pro3. However I am keeping my pro3 for now until I see what HPI does.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 08:46 AM   #1890
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Schuie Driver: it certainly didn't tick me off. Heck, I don't even drive Losi, I drive Corally and Schumacher. I was just surprised because this was the first I had heard of the stock class problems. I drove CIVIC91's XXX-S and it seem to just roll on forever if you know what I mean. The car was soo smooth that it just flowed from corner to corner, so there was no need for the "snap" that people like to refer to when talking about some cars and how some cars react out of the corners in stock class. I think its a driving style preference. Some people go for that, fast in slam on the brakes, the shoot the car out of the corner style, and some people just like to flow around the track. The people I have seen having the most success with the XXX-S in stock seemed to prefer the flowing style.

Very fast motors didn't hurt there cause either!