R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-11-2002, 05:59 PM   #1861
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

guys, i'm interested in getting a XXXS. I heard a lot of good things about the handling... now be honest and tell me the bad side of the car so far, I learn that the drivetrain is not good for stock racing and the a-arms are weak... whatelse?

I am weighting the pros and cons before I goto the hobby shop.
over gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 06:18 PM   #1862
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use the 90 tooth spur. All the racers by me use that to start...

Overgear:

I haven't broken one thing since I got the car. I have been racing it this whole carpet season...

I don't see a durability issue at all with it (I used to own a Pro 3, so I know all about durability issues )
kansasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 06:21 PM   #1863
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

over gear - I have owned the car and one thing's for sure........the arms are NOT weak by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I think this car is very strong compared to most of the other touring cars out there once a BRP front bumper is installed. For mod this car is simply fantastic.......for stock the jury is still out. At least at the tracks I race at anyway
Schuie Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 07:28 PM   #1864
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I keep hearing that the car doesn't do well in stock against the TC3 and the mission. I ran stock this weekend just to do some testing and not one time did I get yanked out of the corners. If anything one of the best cars on the track this weekend was the Yokomo. It all depends on motor gearing and set up. I had a few mistakes in the main but the car was just as fast as everything out there. Hands down the Losi will be easier to drive than everything out there and once it heats up some you don't have to worry about the chassis tweaking due to the heat like the TC3. Try to run what most of your friends are running that way you will always have set up help and parts help (if needed)
Old 02-12-2002, 12:41 AM   #1865
Tech Adept

The one thing that this car lacked is the punch that the TC3 has. But other than that the XXX-S has everything else to make this car a top contender. One thing you will notice is the amount of high speed and low speed steering this car has even without a one-way. Another thing i like about the car is how easy it is to adjust the car. The diffs are easy to access for rebuilds, diff adjustments can be done without taking the car apart like on most cars, drivetrain is enclosed, shutting out any debris that can get between the belts (great for parking lot races) and more.... I think you will find the car to be very enjoyable!
MauiBuilt Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 07:53 AM   #1866
Tech Apprentice

At our track the two fastest cars are the XXX-S and Mission. The TC3 is there and does very well but it hasn't had the consistency the Losi or Schumacher has. In fact, 3 guys dumped their TC3's and 2 bought Missions and 1 a Losi. They have been doing better since switching to the other cars. I have both and I like the Shu but I race my Losi.
YokGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 08:03 AM   #1867
Tech Apprentice

Over Gear:

The two weak point on the car I can tell you are the front carriers and rear hubs. I've broken only 1 rear hub and a couple of friends of mine have broken a few front carriers. Everthing else is bullet proof. I've converted my whole car to graphite and have not broken a single thing.

As far as the drive train is for stock racing...I race stock class and have found it to be just as fast as anything else out on the track. I keep my belt fairly tight to get more acceleration.

It's a great car, super easy to work on and setup.
YokGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:17 AM   #1868
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The car really has only one weakness and that is front hub carriers. Other than that the car is solid and easy to drive. Our track is pre-dominatly all XXX-S cars, a couple of Atlas cars, couple TC-3s and a couple Xpress cars. The Losi cars dominate our local carpet track.
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 10:20 AM   #1869
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

kansasracer: you haven't broken anything yet? Well the boards over in Bluesprings aren't exactly harsh to cars. You missed the weekend up a RedX when every XXX-S driver there all broke the same part. The right front carrier. (the wind and cold weather were playing havoc with handling and the pipes weren't giving an inch) Gary(Lowrance) and Charlie(CIVIC91) should remember that weekend, CIVIC91 broke his once and Lowrance broke three times that day, plus the two times he broke at Mike's the night before! It was pretty funny watching everyone run from pit to pit trying to find someone who had extras.

Watching people drive the XXX-S has shown that the front carrier is probably the weakest link. I don't know about the rear hub, I don't believe I have ever seen one break.

The guys at our local track seem to do very, very well with the XXX-S in stock class. They run just as well as any TC3 we have around here. So I don't know why people question the car's stock capabilities.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:34 AM   #1870
Tech Regular

Parts Breakage- It is pretty funny who when ever a new car comes out there are all these horror stories about breaking parts, with sedans it's always arms, steering knuckles, and rear hubs. We went through it with the TC3 now poeple are saying it with the XXX-S. After the car is out for a year or so the stories seem to go away, this is either that people find setups that work for them and quit hitting stuff or they get tired of complaining about it. I personaly have had no breakage issues ith the car, when I break it is from a hit and I deserve to have a broken car. Bottom line is if you think the car is to brittle for you and your driving style move on to some other chassis and have fun in the hobby we all love.

Chad
ChadK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 11:59 AM   #1871
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ChadK: Who said the car was too brittle for them? I don't know about all the TC3 "stories", but the one I mentioned is certainly true. The two people CIVIC91 and Lowrance are both members on this board who drive the XXX-S and were there that day. They are both A-main regulars, so their driving isn't under question. As I said, the high winds and cold weather contributed to the carnage and sent many a good driver into the boards that day. There were no soft hits that resulted in breakage though, I will say that. Everyone that broke their front carriers that day, certainly earned it.

The way I see it, when you have so many "stories" all saying the same thing, some of them must be true.

Besides, Over Gear asked what the weak points were, so we are telling him. Personally, I think its pretty good if a whole message board of people can only come up with one weak point on a car.

I certainly don't think it should be enough to make anyone "move on to some other chassis". Its just a carrier, jezz, but the fact is that its a weak point. And someone asked what the weak points are.
Old 02-12-2002, 02:22 PM   #1872
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

Yeah, the carrier is a little brittle, but like Darkside said" If it breaks you probably deserve it. I broke the car once and realized where not to let it hit and since have had no problems. The cars main plus is it's consistency. It is just so easy to drive fast and hard, that's probably why the people that have had a lot of breakage are having problems. They get too relaxed and make mistakes. I've since bumped a few drivers pretty good and haven't had a problem. And have also had great success in STOCK class. It's just as fast as anything. I have owned a TC3, AXIS, KAWADA, XPRESS, and this car seems to carry more speed than any of them!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 02:58 PM   #1873
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey CIVIC and Darkseid,

You guys coming to race again ever up in BS?

The racing is getting good. Plus Shane has it running pretty smooth...
kansasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 04:40 PM   #1874
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to FinalBlade

I need some help with my car it seems that my gear cover won't stay down.its like the screws arnt long enough or something.
FinalBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 05:46 PM   #1875
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

thanks everyone for your inputs...so the weakest link is the front carrier. is there an alloy carrier from the aftermarkets?
over gear is offline   Reply With Quote