R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-27-2001, 04:49 AM   #1516
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey futureal - I left a message on the Todd Hodge thread asking when the body post brace will be available and he replied that he still wasn't sure. Sounds to me like they may never release one. In fact he suggested that I use the Trinity MF version for the time being which I am. Problem with the MF version is it tends to crack under hard impacts right where the initials are carved out of the brace.

I am using the BRP bumper on my car and it's absolutely fantastic. Check it out at BRP's site. If I'm not mistaken you can order it on-line as well
Schuie Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 06:12 AM   #1517
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default Bumper braces

Guys, be carefull with those bumper braces.
I made one of graphite (see picture earlier on this thread) and at a hard encounter with some nailed down 2x4's, my whole front bulkhead cover got ripped off.
The whole front structure became too stiff and something had to give.
That's why Spashett was running that lexan piece in Cleveland.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 07:12 AM   #1518
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

ottoman....yes.....it is all i run on carpet.....at this time i am experimenting with stiffer springs...and the car seems to transition quicker....i am planning on testing on new years eve at trackside....i am hoping paul and skip will be there....but i will be for sure......
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 07:38 AM   #1519
Tech Rookie

mr losi, do you run HPI inserts or Yok med? Do you think that they require a different rate spring. Hope to do some testing myself at Trackside. Trackside and Venture setups can be quite different. I have found at Trackside that running springs in the 20lb range makes the car slide, no traction. Car works good at Venture this stiff.
cojono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 10:17 AM   #1520
Tech Fanatic

Hey Mr. Losi and cajono,
I put the low roll center blocks on and raced at venture last night. It really made my car real twitchy and hard to drive. I went to stiffer springs, losi black up front and losi purple in the rear and this helped calm the car down a little but still hard to drive. I will keep the low roll center blocks on for the new years race and I will see if it better at scottys.

It seems that venture has a lot more grip than any other track around here. I end up using different setup and tires at venture than at other tracks.
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 10:21 AM   #1521
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal

MDawson: which bumper do you have on your car? I don't recognize that blue monstrosity. I held off on the MF bumper 'cause I wasn't down with the red. I'm still waiting on the Losi bumper brace that I ordered. Have you tried or heard anything about the BRP wide front lower bumper plate for the car? Supposed to protect the arms, though I haven't broken a single one yet so I don't really know if it's worth it. I just keep looking at the front of my car and feeling like I should do something to it...
The Blue Monsters were cut from some EVA Closed Cell Foam. I am not a big fan of the foam bumpers that were out there, the HPI foam for the Super Nitro was pretty good. I have use the BRP on other cars but it wasnt the right things for me. My experience was that though they are rigid, the impact has to transfer to some place else. I would rather isolate that shock. Thus the Blue Monster By the way the track I have been running on is outdoors 15 foot lanes. After seeing Rons car hit the infamous Rossetti Corner, I decided big foam was in order.

I agree about the lexan bumper braces. You can make about 10 of those out of a small sheet of lexan. Disposable, but if it gets tweak - strap on a new one.

Last edited by MDawson; 12-27-2001 at 10:25 AM.
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 10:31 AM   #1522
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Mr Losi.... well you convinced me, so I just ordered some Speedtech low roll center mounts. I wont be at Trackside on New Years day cause its the wifes birthday and I BETTER not go racing I have been doing well in stock and last week we had enough to run a Pro stock class (finished 3rd in the A main) but I would love to be there to run against some other Losi's, I am usally the only one in the A main. Let me know if you and Paul come up with any good setups.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 10:34 AM   #1523
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Mr Losi.... I just reread your post. I might be free to practise on New Years eve during the day. What time are you going to be there?
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 04:09 PM   #1524
Tech Master

I am thinking about picking up a xxx-s soon. I read through some of the previous post to see what you guys have done. You have only shortened the front shocks? or both front and rear? Do you recomend the low roll center for carpet only or asphalt too?

Any guesses on when Losi will release a "Team" version of the car?
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 04:14 PM   #1525
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by newracer
I am thinking about picking up a xxx-s soon. I read through some of the previous post to see what you guys have done. You have only shortened the front shocks? or both front and rear? Do you recomend the low roll center for carpet only or asphalt too?

Any guesses on when Losi will release a "Team" version of the car?
-Shortened shocks for the front only.
-Low Roll Center for carpet or smooth high bite tracks. Suggest you start with the box stock setup first and work from there.

As for the Team Version; dont hold your breath. It could be a couple months. They have however released a Graphite Kit to upgrade your box car into a full graphite setup.
Old 12-27-2001, 04:56 PM   #1526
Tech Master

well my racing season doesn't start until May depending on weather, I race at a parkinglot track in Colorado. Maybe I'll hold on to my $$$ for a few months to see if a hopped up kit surfaces.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 06:39 PM   #1527
R/C Tech Founder

If you want to do the "team" kit cheaply, look for a used XXX-S and then buy the graphite kit for it from KT Hobbies. $85 for the kit, and it comes with just about every "wear and tear" part for the car. New arms, spindles, carriers, chassis and so on. So for just over the price of the retail kit (assuming you find a decent used deal) you can get the equivalent of an all-graphite car + spare parts. Not too shabby in the least.

A guy we race with actually turned the standard Losi shocks into threaded ones, and then slapped the Trinity collars on there. They actually look and work great. Not sure how he threaded them though.
Old 12-27-2001, 06:43 PM   #1528
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal

A guy we race with actually turned the standard Losi shocks into threaded ones, and then slapped the Trinity collars on there. They actually look and work great. Not sure how he threaded them though.
If you get a big enough tap/die set you can thread anything. Interesting idea though.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:09 PM   #1529
Administrator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

ottoman...scotty says he will be open at 11...so i will be there then....prolly till 3-30.....if he wil open sooner i will be there sooner.....hope to see you there....
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 12:44 AM   #1530
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ottoman,

Thank you for purchasing our parts!

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote