R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-02-2004, 11:23 PM   #1891
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What type of brush setup was used bu the fast guys at the wordls, both in 1/12th and tc? Standup, Laydown, V2, P94?
Pro ten Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:24 PM   #1892
Tech Regular
Send a message via AIM to Hodapp Send a message via Yahoo to Hodapp

I just want to say that Marc Rheinard was absolutely amazing to watch and I say congrats dude. Unfortunately I had the best seat in the house for the mains as I was marshaling for all three of them since I was in the B main. Those were the best races that I have ever seen in all my years in r/c. I am honored to have competed against such incredible talents. I consider myself a better driver now, after the race because I learned so much just by watching the absolute best Touring Car drivers in the WORLD. They seem to have an even higher level when it comes to main time, than the already amazing level that they qualify at.

Last edited by Hodapp; 11-06-2004 at 11:05 PM.
Hodapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:56 PM   #1893
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default Greg Hodapp

Hey Greg,

Just wanted to say Hi. I am going to send you a PM in the next day or two if thats OK.

How was the x-ray working for you at worlds? Where did you end up? I'm sure that the competition was out of this world.

Steve Curry
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:40 AM   #1894
Tech Master

Hi friends. greetings from Malta.

Greg Hodapp's earlier post was that of a real gentleman. Well done Greg. No sour grapes from you. You could teach a few guys something !

There seems alot of argument about if we were racing here or there such and such would have won. Sour grapes in my opinion.

That's why I suggested in an earlier post that there should be a World formula fixed by IFMAR, and countries interested in producing drivers for the Worlds should run their own domestic championships to that formula. It's no excuse saying we usually run on foams. If the IFMAR decision makers say it's rubber tyres then every country should, in it's own interest, run to that formula. Then all the drivers do all their praqctice in the same conditions and are all well prepared for the BIG ONE.

I'm not just referring to tyres of course. Even track size and construction. More countries race their Nationals outdoors than indoors so a decision should be taken to always run Worlds events outdoor - come rain or shine.

I still think the same drivers will win, but it will solve alot of arguing.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:48 AM   #1895
Tech Adept

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wcoyote
[B]You have to figure there is going to be some secrets at the Worlds. Beside a lot of the manufacturers make one-off cars just to suit the track they are on. And for them to give away secrets? Get real. You don't see the NASCAR teams say, "here everyone want to see the engine tweaks we did to get more power out of this engine," after they have won."

i also dont see people going to the nascar store to purchase their favorite nascar for saturday racing either.
hugh janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:49 AM   #1896
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by slooookomo
Until the final, he was the only one running an OS engine! The rest of the whole Worlds was running Nova or Sirio based engines!
Ummm, OS engine? NOT ! It was a REX modified engine. The blue head was deceiving. And yes, only one engine for the entire race.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:57 AM   #1897
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
Ummm, OS engine? NOT ! It was a REX modified engine. The blue head was deceiving. And yes, only one engine for the entire race.
Yes it was a project Zac OS until the semi final... Both blue heads then it was switched to a Rex at the final. I did went and check it out... No secert fuel either... they left the whole bottle of it on their bench after the race.
slooookomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:07 AM   #1898
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by slooookomo
Yes it was a project Zac OS until the semi final... Both blue heads then it was switched to a Rex at the final. I did went and check it out... No secert fuel either... they left the whole bottle of it on their bench after the race.
Then slowhand's info is incorrect then because he mentioned that only 1 engine was used throughout the race and that it was a Rex engine...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:25 AM   #1899
Tech Adept
Send a message via ICQ to slowhand

Originally posted by InitialD
Then slowhand's info is incorrect then because he mentioned that only 1 engine was used throughout the race and that it was a Rex engine...
why don't you ask the guy himself I know I did
sorry to the others.. this is slightly off the topic.. should stop here.
slowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:50 AM   #1900
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Here's one view of the differences between Europe and America and some of the other topics discussed here.

Most tracks in Europe are run by local clubs, not shops. The tracks here are built and prepared by the club members in their spare time. No one gets paid for the work, more likely the members will pay some of the equipment needed for the track themselves. All of this is done purely by passion, by racers wanting a good track to race and practice on.

You can see the same sort of differences in other parts of society as well. I know this is definitely not 100% true, but the general perception here in Europe when we look at Americans is that nobody will lift a finger in the USA unless they get paid. What is true is that USA is definitely a lot more 'commercial'.

The organisation of races seems to be on a whole different level in Europe. Every time I hear from someone who has been to a race in the U.S. they will say there was no real organisation, e.g. no real time table etc. The most recent example of this was the worlds that according to some Europeans felt pretty much like a club race because of the lack of organisation. In Europe, even on a regional level, the races will be run to a strict format and usually everything works very smoothly.

Why did the Americans struggle in Florida and why are some of their best drivers saying that American drivers are not the best at this point in time?

Look at the dedication of Masami who already has 14 World titles. Look at Atsushi who learned from Masami while he was his team-mate and then moved on and is now the most consistent top-3 finisher in world-level races. Do you see the same dedication by American racers? Masami will still spend endless hours and run several hundredths of packs at a track preparing for upcoming races and he will still do that today, 17 years after winning his first World Championships.

European teams will spend day after day every summer at the track of that years European Championship preparing for the race in the best possible way. Trying new development parts, new setups and so on.

You see the same in the full-size racing industry. The level of professionalism and technology in European racing is a lot higher compared to USA again. You can ask anyone who have been involved with motorsport around the world about this and they will tell you it is like this.

With the level of rc car racing rising all the time and the level of professionalism and technology getting higher (although there's still a long way to go imo.) this industry is also starting to remind of the full-size racing industry. If you look at the Japanese teams at the worlds, e.g. Tamiya and Yokomo, you see that they come extremely well prepared and with special cars. They use a lot of aluminium and titanium in critical areas to lower the c.g., lower the weight. If you look at the Yokomo SDW that was developed for this race you will see they use aluminium driveshafts (alu. everything, not steel axle, alu bone), aluminium input shafts, aluminium ball studs, titanium screws etc. The same is true for the Tamiya cars to some extent and also Xray. Look at the American cars and you see a lot more heavy (steel) components and no use of special parts even though this is a world championship race!

Some say that when it's as tight as it was in Florida with tenths, not seconds separating the cars, it's the drivers and luck that decides, not who has the lowest c.g.

I don't agree. It's when the sport/hobby has come to this level that every mm you can lower the c.g., every gram of unsprung mass you can shave off, starts to count. You don't believe any technical director in F1 would get to keep his job if he said lowering the c.g. does not matter, do you? This sport will get more professional and the cars will surely develop more and more like real racing cars unless this is stopped by regs somehow.

Think I will stop now but those were a few points I thought worth mentioning...
kentech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:06 AM   #1901
Tech Adept

Kentech- some of the points u have raised is very good, and although i don't know what the racing scene is like over at the State, the recent Worlds at Florida did raise questions about their lack of organisation.
I totally agree with your point on shaving grams and mm means everything, but are you sure that the US teams did not develope special car/parts for this big race? I mean the TC4 and JRXS is all new. There's no doubt that the Japanese are very dedicated to R/C, but i think you can give more credits to the US teams then that.
Again, i would also like to express my concern the lack of organisation in the US this time round, hope they can come up with something better in the future
mashimaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:08 AM   #1902
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was at the Worlds and I have to agree with kentech. Everybody tried his best but it all came down to who was better prepared before the event even started. Practice time was limited and TAMIYA, YOKOMO and HPI had a very well planed strategy on how to go through the practice rounds. They had ready prepared cars, I counted as many as three for Hara and Masami and during a 5minute practice heat they would try them back to back to see which car they should work on to start with. From then on their focus was on details...
John Doucakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:06 AM   #1903
Tech Initiate
Default schedule for world's events

When I compare the recent 1/10th I.C and the electric T.C worlds there was a massive difference in the amount of track time given over to practice, should there not be an IFMAR standard time table to run to?
For example
2 days free practice
1 day controlled practice (allows you to resead heats)
6 rounds of qualifying(spread over 2/3 days depending upon entry etc...)
1 day of finals (3 finals for the Afinal, 2 for everyone else)
What does everyone else think?
Also it seems to me that many of the American drivers were fast, but not until the latter rounds. Does anyone have a qualifying list for the worlds sorted purely on FTQ? It would be interesting to see who the fastest 10 drivers were.
mark barford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:23 AM   #1904
Tech Master

Mark Pavidis told me that due to ( or lack of..) organizations, there should never be any WC in the USA...
Talking about THIS event, one have to give credit to Jorge, Adrian and the rest of the staff ( Michelle was my favorite No doubt ) I think they did an outstanding job concidering they lost about 10 people who helped to clean up the mess after the Francis and Ivan, and where now home working on there houses, and this causes the difficulties. They tryed hard, and I am happy with there work.
In my opinion, the disaster of the whole event was the referees, who robbed Daisuke Yoshioka his silver medal. Shame on them

For future WCīs I agree with Mark( Mark Barford
that is. Not Pavidis....), but hope they can seed the drivers in 3 groups and not now where 2 of the 6 practiceheats is so important so one can not test anything anyway.
I also like to see 4 out of 7 or 8 qualifiers. Or 3 out of 6. 4 out of 6 is not ideal in my opinion.
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:29 AM   #1905
Tech Fanatic
Default worlds

Congrats to Marc! You were clearly the fastest and most consistent driver all week, and deserve the title. Your driving abilities are what put you in that position. An inspiring drive. I am still amazed at how consistent and tight you are in every corner on every lap. Truly amazing.

There may be different ways to run a worlds, and on a different weekend and different track you might see different drivers in the A. The bottom line is that the best driver won in this worlds format. Yes there would be a learning curve for folks that have never driven foam on carpet, as Hara experienced at cleveland two years ago, by qualifying in the D main (if I remember correctly). But the following year he was in the A and although did not win, was IMO the fastest guy on the track. With enough practice time to become familiar with a format, the top drivers will still be the top drivers. In Canada where I live, we run a mixture of rubber and foam racing on fairly small and tight tracks. I race a lot in the states and from what I can see they also run a mixture of rubber and foam. My point is that it is not like rubber tires/outdoor racing is a new way of racing for Canadians or Americans. So IMO there are no excuses....the best driver won. period.

I raced against Marc in Japan at the tamiya worlds a few years ago, where he came third. He was fast then and is even quicker now...wait another couple of years...he might become even more dominant.
Martin Crisp
SetupWorkbench.com | Power-Story.com | LearnSetup.com
Martin Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote