Tamiya TA05 - VDF >

Tamiya TA05 - VDF

Tamiya TA05 - VDF

Old 07-18-2011, 10:36 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alcyon
looking at this great design, i know its 50 - 50 left right, has anyone measured its front to rear weight ratio ?

Old 07-19-2011, 03:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WC

wow, that is 50-50 LR and 50-50 F-R ! i would add 5 grams to the front right side then rebalance the car...if only this car had a different steering rack like the TRFs, i think this could be a serious touring contender...
Old 07-19-2011, 03:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by unknownmember
Sup dudes,

Please forgive me if this question is not suitable but despite the fact this is especially a drift chassis what's the chances of using the VDF up against the top dogs like T3, TCX etc. Since Tamiya is coming out with the gold edition soon I'm very tempted. I'm still new to this hobby and from my knowledge the VDF actually looks a lot more balanced than the expensive TCs. The only gripe I have with the VDF from pictures is that work space looks very limited.

Thanks
the only problem i can tell of the car being not touring friendly, is the steering bellcrank. the design is meant to induce a lot off steering, and the links are very short. if it had the 416 or 417 bellcranks, i definitely think this car can go head to head against those 415 clones (battery one side, motor & electronics opposite).
Old 07-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

The VDF's mid ship motor placement and high CG makes this car a horrible touring car. Rolls way to much. Not to mention the FDR.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by gashuffer
The VDF's mid ship motor placement and high CG makes this car a horrible touring car. Rolls way to much. Not to mention the FDR.
yeah right, thats the thinking that got the 415 clones out in the market. if that is so, why is the 414M still formidable today? Many people (non sponsored)have driven the T1 FK even this year and got really good results.
The CG is only high at the bulkhead and pulleys, nothing else. Having the motor in the center is wayy better than having it offset to the left.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Tech Adept

Chassis roll can be tuned by suspension setup. Only thing that bothers me about the vdf being used for touring, is rear belt routing and tensioners adding drag. Alex racing cer, the holy grail of drift chassis, was designed for touring long before rc drifing existed.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TubOLard
Chassis roll can be tuned by suspension setup. Only thing that bothers me about the vdf being used for touring, is rear belt routing and tensioners adding drag. Alex racing cer, the holy grail of drift chassis, was designed for touring long before rc drifing existed.
i agree with what you said, but the point i was trying to say is having the motor in the centerline of the car (left to right wise), like the TRF414, X ray T1,Kawada alcyon, HPI RS4 Pro2, CER, RC lab 7-7, doesnt really cause the CG to be soo high. its only the spur, top pulleys and a little of the bulkhead that is high. The rest of the car is low on CG. The benefits of having the motor in the center outweighs having a low CG for everything , but the motor offset so much to one side like the 415 clones out there. I still drive my Alcyon II from 2001 and i still get the same position in racing, against newer cars, in a field of 40 racers. 2 months ago i raced in 10.5T boosted, i qualified 24th. Not bad considering all the other cars below me were modern cars like the T3 11, Yokomo BD5W, Sakura zeros..
My point is not exactly the VDF will perform great right away, it needs some tweeks, like you said the belt routing and tensioners, but i beleive the way the motor is placed is good, and with saddle packs the balance will be even better. I think car design will go back to motor placed in the center, just see the TA06...
Some one needs to find ways to overcome the steering rack issue, and the belts and pulleys, i really think this one can be a contender.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:30 AM
Tech Champion

The VDF is not a Race Car! It was not designed for racing in mind. It was designed to go slow and look cool, it flexes like a rubberband. It will not keep up with touring cars period on a serious racing level. Maybe bashing around in a parking lot, yes it can turn right and left.

The most important part of the drivetrain is way up in the air! Very tall CG! Rotational mass is sky high!

Last edited by gashuffer; 07-20-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Obviously
The VDF is not a Race Car! It was not designed for racing in mind.
Most modern outdoor cars have alot of flex built in to the chassis, so I'm willing to bet the vdf is not any softer than most, especially with the two horizontal braces across vertical decks. You won't see Marc rheinard driving the vdf in ifmars anytime soon, but it could work at a club level.

What's interesting is, tamiya offers a traditional ackerman steering rack option for the vdf. Hmm?
Old 07-20-2011, 07:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TubOLard
Obviously

Most modern outdoor cars have alot of flex built in to the chassis, so I'm willing to bet the vdf is not any softer than most, especially with the two horizontal braces across vertical decks. You won't see Marc rheinard driving the vdf in ifmars anytime soon, but it could work at a club level.

What's interesting is, tamiya offers a traditional ackerman steering rack option for the vdf. Hmm?
That rack is intended for "cs" set up. Reduces ackerman while maintaining full lock.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Vdf platform but parts will be very hard to come by and racing it would be scary.

Hell, I don't even like putting mine on the ground! Mine stays in my garage on a smooth painted surface. I think I am going to bring mine to a carpet track this winter!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Tech Adept

Nope. The ackerman steering introduces more ackerman for touring type driving. If you look at the rack, the ball studs attach to the middle of the rack, and the instruction tells you to remove the knuckle extensions. There are pics of vdf set up for grip on various japanese blogs. Even the new shaft drive vds was shown set up for rubber at shizuoka hobby show with the optional ackerman steering.

Last edited by TubOLard; 07-20-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

looks nice, would be interesting to see one raced

Last edited by Qatmix; 06-30-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Tech Champion

Nope the ackerman allows you to run longer links giving you less over steer to one side. I run one.
With the stock set up the short link with extension pulls the knuckle in more. That's why it works well for 50/50.

Regardless of the argument. I am happy with mine as a drift car.
Try to race it, it might work for you, who knows!

Peace
Old 07-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

Now you're contradicting yourself. that's positive ackerman, which is good for touring. For counter steer drifting, you would need close to 0 ackerman for parallel steering. Ive never heard of adding positive ackerman to drifters. Why do yokomo drb and streetjam otar31, etc come with parallel steering? Do you even drift countersteer?
Nope the ackerman allows you to run longer links giving you less over steer to one side. I run one.
With the stock set up the short link with extension pulls the knuckle in more. That's why it works well for 50/50.

Regardless of the argument. I am happy with mine as a drift car.
Try to race it, it might work for you, who knows!

Peace
Old 07-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

There is no argument here. All you have to do is post a pic of your setup to prove me wrong. Or call tamiya usa to find out.
That rack is intended for "cs" set up. Reduces ackerman while maintaining full lock.
This is straight from tamiya's website:

For those who favor the cornering characteristics of an Ackerman steering system (front wheels turn at different angles to follow different turning radii) over the kit-standard parallel steering geometry (front wheels turn at same angle), Tamiya is offering this option part to convert your machine to your tastes.

Specs & Features
Set includes:
Steering connector rod x1
FF-03 Steering Arm (R) x1
TB-03 Steering Arm (L) x1
Metal parts bag (screws, washers, ball connectors, shims etc.) x 1
Only compatible with TA05-VDF chassis (Item 84132).
Note: Item 54250 3x42mm Aluminum Turnbuckle Shaft (2pcs.) is required for attachment. (Sold separately.)

Last edited by TubOLard; 07-20-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.