Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is a good 200 dollar charger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 04:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I use to have Tekin 112's that worked great, but since there not available right now I switched over to Integy 16x5v2. Its a good charger for the money, But I also picked up a LRP sport charger for $70 as a back up and honesly I find myseld using the $70 charger more than the Integy. I highly reccomend the LRP chargers, there DC only so you will need a power supply for AC. Duratrax makes a small 7 amp wall supply that can handle the job and is good on the wallet.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by amgman
So the Pulsar Competition is better than the Indi, if so, then what DC power supply to you guys recommend, becuase i nedd a new one.
Define better?

It depends on what you need.

The Pulsar only discharges at 10 amps. As far as I understand, that will result in packs loosing punch. No memory slots. On the other hand, it got the motor run in feature and power failure resume function, flex charging and charge rate rate can be adjusted on the fly. It also got a timer charge start function.

The Integy 16x5 v6 got 20 amps discharge, measuring of internal resistance, several charging methods (normal peak, discharge+peak, partial and boosting). 10 memory slots. It can work on voltages lower than specified, so the need for a power failure resume function is less. Programmable pause length for cycling. 6 different sounds. But no motor run in, no power failure resume and no flex-charge.

I dont know about the Pulsar, but the Eagle/Integy never false peaks. And it charges almost any NiMh and NiCd battery.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When you buy a charger, you should get one that has a proven track record with reliability and confidence. when i started racing i bought a duratrax digital intelipeak, it was a great starter charger, then the PS blew and got it RMA'd, but I broke down and bought a GFX. I loved it.... but then I started turning and breaking in motors, and running 1/12 as well as 1/10 TC and purchased a second gfx. now it is great. yes they are large, but they are proven and reliable... and I use the duratrax for the practice packs...

Someone mentioned to look for used stuff... I agree on that if you cannot buy the charger you want. You can get the Turbo 35 BL or Stealth BL with powersupplies for a decent price right now with a lot of people selling electric going nitro this time of year...

Just something to think about.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
Define better?

It depends on what you need.

The Pulsar only discharges at 10 amps. As far as I understand, that will result in packs loosing punch. No memory slots. On the other hand, it got the motor run in feature and power failure resume function, flex charging and charge rate rate can be adjusted on the fly. It also got a timer charge start function.

The Integy 16x5 v6 got 20 amps discharge, measuring of internal resistance, several charging methods (normal peak, discharge+peak, partial and boosting). 10 memory slots. It can work on voltages lower than specified, so the need for a power failure resume function is less. Programmable pause length for cycling. 6 different sounds. But no motor run in, no power failure resume and no flex-charge.

I dont know about the Pulsar, but the Eagle/Integy never false peaks. And it charges almost any NiMh and NiCd battery.
What I meant by better, was that, I want a charger that can be easy to use, and will be able to take to the track. From what you described, I think I will be using the Integy more, and it is a advantage becuase it includes a DC power supply. I am probably going to buy 2 Team Grade Fusion Battery packs(Because I am not good at gluing stuff together). What do you guys think about my choice?

Last edited by amgman; 05-04-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

I s this one better than the one I mentioned before?
Charger
Old 05-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

I also heard about the Team Orion Advantage, so that one might be good.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by amgman
I also heard about the Team Orion Advantage, so that one might be good.
I second this, This should be a good "2nd charger" if you have the GFX'x, Protak and the likes. From the list of specs it is similar to the LRP Pulsar comp. (which is excellent) ...with a few extras. I wonder when they are going to be available.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, I know, I just hope that it works as good as other chargers, becuase I don't have a high enough budget for those really expensive chargers