Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
whats the "king $h*@" charger now days ? >

whats the "king $h*@" charger now days ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

whats the "king $h*@" charger now days ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 02:17 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by RandyB
Well I run the sanyo 3300 and never had a charge take an hour. i understand the fact that the GMVIS charge mode uses different rates and I beleive and i may be absoulutly incorrect but I beleive this pushes the cells just enough so the false peak does not occur. I think it gives better feed back as to when the pack is fully charged. vs the single rate peak charge. I will attest it does create more heat than a standard peak charge
I canīt comment this as I donīt have any Sanyo 3300. Iīm using GP3300 only at race. But I think you arenīt charging completely discharged packs.
We do discharge a pack after a run until 5.4 volts and then put em on an equalizer board (Robitronic) before next charge so the pack is completely flat. This takes some time longer for a complete charge.
Iīm using a charge rate of 6 amps mostly and this needs about 42 minutes for a full charge. As I donīt have a GM-Commander for my own I canīt prove this for myself but I was given the 1 hour information from a member of the GM racing-team and I know I can trust him.

One thing is for sure. If the pack is at a higher temperature it will affect not only the way it works at the track but also some things like cutoff point.
But I think the software inside the GM-Commander not only will control the different stages of charging current but it also will control some sort of lockout time during the GMVIS-process. This is absolutely essential as the voltage of the batterypack is dependent on the chargingcurent. Higher current means higher voltage and lower current means lower voltage. The GMVIS-method is changing the current all the time and at any time the current will be reduced. This means the voltage will go down and if there would be no lockout prevention in the software this reduced voltage would mean a fully charged pack to the charger resulting in shuting off but in reality a falsepeak. So maybe this is working better in regard of falsepeaking prevention than the linear charging method but I think this is for the GM-Commander only.
This is also one thing I have heard sometimes - falsepeaking with linearcharging (single rate charg).
At least at the Protral it doesnīt matter what charging method you are choosing, itīs working perfect under all conditions.

But as it seems the GMVIS-method seems to have more punch or rip out of the pack.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:03 PM
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo

Originally posted by V12
Yesterday I saw a Futaba at the German Touring Nationals. One of the A-Final stockdrivers was using this thing.
There's quite a few guys that hav had the Futaba CDR5000 down here for a while down under. Dual Charging batteries and TX/RX packs....can't go wrong. SO MUCH SEXIER ASWELL!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Kennedy
There's quite a few guys that hav had the Futaba CDR5000 down here for a while down under. Dual Charging batteries and TX/RX packs....can't go wrong. SO MUCH SEXIER ASWELL!!!!!!!
what did you mean by "dual charging batteies and tx/rx"? can you charge your sub c's and rx pack at the same time?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo

Originally posted by S-T-R-l-K-E-R
what did you mean by "dual charging batteies and tx/rx"? can you charge your sub c's and rx pack at the same time?
Yes, GP's from the lead out the right and your smaller applications from the leads on the left
Old 05-04-2004, 05:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

v12, good thoughts and explaination their. I beleive you are correct on most of your thoughts. however my thoughts are this when charging the charge rate goes up and down this allows for the best of both worlds to happen allowing for good punch and good run times.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yea that is what I was thinking, there is like 2 or 3 guys at our local track with them (and they aint exactly "futaba pro drivers" AFAIK)
Old 05-04-2004, 06:21 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have had/used most everything out there except the new Futaba.

The perfect charger for me would have the following features:
AC/DC
35 Discharge
Charge 2 or more packs
Motor Run
USB PC connection
Dyno option

There are several that are close, but I still have to carry at least 2 chargers.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Exclamation

Yes, GP's from the lead out the right and your smaller applications from the leads on the left

I'll ask my buddy to try this.. thanks for the info bro!!!.