R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-06-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default What upgrades could I get?

Just got my RC car today and its going to be my new hobby. I need to know what upgrades could I get for this RC car?

Battery: 7.2V 1800mAh Ni-Mh
Motor: KV 3300 Brushless

Brand new in box RTR 1:10 scale Champion car with Blazing Fast Brushless Motor & HSP Brushless ESC 70A . Comes with everything needed to head to the track. It is a PRO model so it does go extremely fast. 4wd system and oil filled aluminum shocks help you carve out turns like a pro.

zOoMZoOmPoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Well first off that isn't a mainstream brand so finding parts and upgrades is not going to be easy. First thing to upgrade is the battery...1800mah is very old technology. However if it came with a charger you'll need to get a new charger with the new battery as the one that comes with the car probably won't charge the new LiPo batteries. If you don't want to go LiPo just yet you can get a much better NiMh pack than what came with the car. Also I'd check to make sure there isn't any bushings in the car...any bushings you will want to swap out for bearings. It is likely the stock tires aren't all that good either so you may want to look at new rims and tires.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Going lipo in that car is a horrible recommendation. Most likely there isn't a low voltage cutoff on that speed controller, so going with a lipo will likely just end up having this kid blow up his new battery.
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

What do you mean by " any bushings in the car" ?

Well you were right on the tires, two out of four rims cracked on my 2nd run. Do they make steel rims for these little cars?

So I cannot even install a 7.4v lipo battery in this car? Some say I can, some say I cannot.... I don't know what should I do.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You should be able to physically fit a lipo battery into the car, but you need to be careful when driving the car to ensure you don't run the battery too low.

The lipo batteries have a certain point at which they will not take a charge if you use them for too long. This is why the expensive electronics have a "cut-off" feature which helps prevent the battery charge from becoming too low.

My recommendation for batteries is to get one or two of the Reedy Wolfpack battery packs. they aren't lipo, so you don't have to worry about killing the batteries if you drive for a long time. Plus, they are cheap and should

As for your car, it's a bit uncommon, so upgrades may be hard to find. Once you spend enough time learning to drive your car and saved up a bit of money, I would recommend getting a car from one of the more common companies like Tamiya or HPI. That way you can get upgrade parts easily and there are people on this forum who can help you out with stuff like car setup.

I hope this helps. Have fun.
:: Tamiya TA05 MS :: Tamiya TB04 Pro II/Exotek EXO6 :: Tamiya M05V2 :: Losi XX :: Tamiya TB01 :: Tamiya XV-01 Rally ::
ErikO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Tech Regular

on a continuation of what eriko said getting things like good batteries and radio/electronics and wheels and tires are what you should limit yourself to because these things are universal and can be used on others cars if/when you decide to get one.

on a sadder note the cars from exceed try to pretend they are as good as other name brand hobby cars but i know from personal experience that their nitro cars especially are hard to deal with. i have helped quite a few people with exceed cars when i worked at a hobbyshop and always felt bad when i told them that there is not much i can do since you can only get parts from exceed

that being said do what you can to have as much fun as possible with it, as long as your motor and other electronics stay cool brushless electric cars are tons of fun and easy to deal with. just be warned, dont get too attached to your car, remember that this should be a starter car and therefore a learning experience, which is often part of the fun.
benben10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

I already ordered the lipo 7.4v 5000mah 30C battery and charger. I did a little bit of research and my ESC does have a cut off feature so it should protect battery from draining. The reason why I bought that car was to break into this hobby. Its a good car for me to break, fix, and learn from it. Hopefully, once I get more experience, I will look into other cars. There's RC store/race track couple blocks from my house. I will probably go there this Wednesday for the first time and check it out.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

sounds like you got the right idea man... wish i started with a cheapie lol
onecleanjetta is offline   Reply With Quote