Unusual front tire wear >

Unusual front tire wear

Unusual front tire wear

Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Unusual front tire wear

Good day!

I am getting some unusual front tire wear on my xray t1fko4. I am running 1* camber and 1* toe out. The tires are sorex 28 on jaco rims and have 6 six min races on them. As seen in the pictures, there is groves forming on the inside edge of both tires. I run outdoors on a cleaned and preped track. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Unusual front tire wear-tire001.jpg   Unusual front tire wear-tire002.jpg  
Old 05-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can show you 10 sets of my front tyres that have done the same .

The LRP's are shits for doing it , i think it is something to do with the insert width are softness ,But some expert will be allong to correct me.

I just accept it as normal
Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Might be you're running too low deg. tires and causing excessive wear.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Welcome to the "Death Groove"

I've got the same on HPI X-Patterns and HPI Vintage Tires
Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

used to happen a lot back in the day before we got all these fancy inserts.. usually happens with squared-off open cell foam inserts. molded dense-foam inserts dont usually let this happen. outside tire in a turn scrubs a lot and rolls out.. also really narrow dense-foam inserts will sometimes do this. or inserts with thin edges..

$0.02
Old 05-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Not unusual at all, I had this with our control tire - Take Off 22 and 27 all the time.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I got that pattern on my Sweep Carpet tires too!! Not unusual---
FYI
T
Old 08-12-2016, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

From the depths of the RC Tech forum, I summon this Thread revival!

So I've been getting this type of wear with my tires all day everyday. I drive a Tamiya XV-01, it's not TRF 41X, but it's my only car, and I love it.

I don't race and tend to just run tires on the street till they die. I have set up my car with pretty even wear, front and rear, but for the life of me cannot stop the front tires from wearing like this. Inner rim has a groove.

It happened with these ($5 set of china tires) and also a set of HPI X-patterns.

Above, pictures ( of the same China tire) after 3 runs, then 6 runs of 5000mah (~40mins runtimes each pack) of aggressive driving.

From the posts above, I see that people are talking about the foams. Is there a way to cut the foams so they reduce the amount of inner rim tire wear?

What is it that causes this? I am running very little camber (I set my car up to wear evenly 0 to -2 at most). I have pretty thick diff fluid up front. But this also happens with thin diff fluid too. I originally thought when turning, the the inner front wheel would lift slightly and spin , causing the rubber to wear. I'm trying to keep my tires from wearing out so quickly. This is happing after about 6x5000mah runs on 13.5T on rough streets.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It is tire wear, and it is normal.
The reason your inside tire has more wear, has to do with your suspension geometry - the wheels are slanted. Camber will only affect one aspect of this tire slant. However once you turn, caster will also take affect. Other aspects, such as roll, pitch, yaw, on-power, off-power, braking, tire inserts, etc, will factor in.

But nothing changes the fact that you drove your car hard, and your tires wore out as a result. You can drive slower and turn softer, but there is not much fun in that. Display those old tires as a badge of honor, and put on some new tires.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

RING OF DEATH !!!!
Old 08-13-2016, 12:45 AM
Tech Addict

This is just down to a lack of support from the insert, allowing the tyre to deform during hard cornering. Nothing to do with camber or suspension in my exprience.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:35 AM
Tech Master

You've run on the same set of tyres for near on 4 hours, that's 40 x 6 minutes races. They really aren't designed to last that long... Most of the time we would be lucky to get even 20 races on a set of tyres before we binned them.

Time for a new set.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:59 AM
Tech Addict

Just shelf your car and your tires will last for ever.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would look at a harder compound of tyre if you're using the car for bashing. Maybe a Sorex 40 or similar. I'd also look to slightly reduce front camber if you can. You should see a more level tyre wear, and the reduction in camber at the front should also increase rear grip slightly, reducing rear wheespin, extending the life of your rears.
Just my opinion.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 1spunspur
Just shelf your car and your tires will last for ever.
Fair enough! 😄

I guess there are a couple of things I could do.

1. Turn slower, and don't pin the throttle in turns. Not fun
2. Add/remove caster shims to find a sweet spot.
3. Rotate tires every run. Which I am already doing.
4. Run positive camber in the front to counter act caster. Weird but might work.
5. Try harder foams. Home made from delivery packing?

Ring of death indeed. Maybe RC manufacturers could start producing dual compound tires. Harder on edges, softer center treads. They do this with bike and automotive tires. Just a thought, then again the tires wouldn't be so cheap though.

If it was easy to unmount tires from CA glue, I guess it would then be possible to flip the tires too. The last time I tried with acetone, it was a goopy mess. Because the rims I had dissolved like marshmallows in a fire. HPI rims (nylon?) didn't melt, just the gravity RC plastic ones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.