Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT7 problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

GT7 problem?

I've been having glitching problems for a very long time now with my pro 3. I've tried everything I know. elec tape under the reciever (turned on its side) diode on the motor, motor wires twisted, I've replaced/swapped in different motors, servos, recievers, transmitter, rx/tx crystals, and batts, all to no avail. It still glitches horribly at about 30 feet away. As you can see from my list the only thing I havent changed is the ESC, which is as you may have guessed a novak GT7. My throttle control has been kinda screwy recently so Im stating to suspect its the ESC thats been causing the glitch all this time. Lately when Ive been running the car (testing to see if my lastest changes have helped at all ) the car accelerates sluggishly for a few feet, as though only at half throttle, then pics up a goes full speed. And sometimes It'll be cruising along just fine, then I'll go for the brakes and nothing will happen. It just continues to roll like all I did was let of the throttle. The LEDs on the ESC all show normal function though, green blink for brake (even when the brakes dont work) and solid green at full throttle, red at neutral (no throttle or brake) What could be causing this? and could these ESC problems signify that the ESC is indeed the cause of my glitching?
Old 04-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

I had some similar problems with one of my Gt7s that also felt like radio interference. I replaced it with a "new" one from Novak's service department and never had another problem. That was the only time I've ever had anything go wrong with a GT7.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

thanks for the response

How did yours glitch? did it affect the steering and throttle, or just throttle? cause mine pretty much goes crazy when it get too far away, both steering and throttle are affected. If that is indeed the problem then I should probably just buy another GT7 since my warrenty is long gone, or would it be better to send it to Novak and say I'll pay for another one? Would that ensure that I get a glitch free one? I've been looking at other ESC's I could replace it with, there arent too many in my price range. I like the LRP Quantum comp, but its a little expensive and I've heard it has overheating problems. What other ESC's are there that would compare to a GT7 for right around $130-$140? I'm gonna borrow an ESC from a friend this weekend and test it out to see for sure if its the ESC or if its something on the chassis that I've somehow missed.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Tech Initiate

hi,

ive had this problem with my GT7 also, i purchased it new about 1 month ago. When the speedo is put in the cramp space of my Yokomo CGM i would get interference! But when its in my T4 Truck no inteference what so ever! Ive since bought an LRP Q2 and it works with no glitches in my CGM. So theres definitely something going on with the GT7's and glitching in cramp spaces where all the elctronics are close together.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah, thats how it is in my pro 3. The electronics are all packed togather really tight, the ESC is sort of right between the motor and reciever, so that could be it. But you'd think that since its been out for a year or two now they would've taken care of something like that
Old 04-28-2004, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

When my GT7 malfunctioned it did feel like a radio glitch because it would "stick" at one setting, if the steering was turned it would stay turned and gave the feeling that it was affecting the steering. But it was all in the esc. I use my GT7s on 1/12th scale cars where everything is tight and have never had any radio problems. I just take all the normal precautions, and make sure to use the Schottky device provided by Novak with the esc. Your problem seems to be range related, mine was not; so maybe we're talking about two different problems here.

For out of warrenty esc repairs, Novak will replace your unit with a "reconditioned" one (mine looked new) for a flat fee. I think it was $54 for the GT7.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

I had the same problem as you with my GT7.. Same symptoms.. Ended up replacing it via the service department and ive never had another problem... Some times I think Novak would save a bunch of money if they had better QA procedures..
Old 04-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default s15racer

Originally posted by S15Racer
Yeah, thats how it is in my pro 3. The electronics are all packed togather really tight, the ESC is sort of right between the motor and reciever, so that could be it. But you'd think that since its been out for a year or two now they would've taken care of something like that
give this a try .. 3 pieces of servo tape under the speedo.. I use bolink servo tape due to it having more foam material and it insulates the speedo case from the chassis better .. also 3 pieces of servo tape under you reciever .. It does work with a gt7 I dont have glitching problems with this method..and can drive 100 or more feet away without problems..
Old 04-29-2004, 12:25 AM
Tech Master

Hi friends. greetings from Malta.

Most electronic RC equipment is sensitive to positioning.

We have run GT7s in all our team cars since they were first announced, and can't say we've had any significant problems.

I relocated the electronics on my son's TC3 a while ago and it suddenly became undriveable with glitching. It all cleared when I put them back as they were.

I recently had another similar instance with a customer's stock class TC3. Solved this one by adding a couple more capacitors on the motor.

I run a Yoke SD and have not had any problems with the way I have laid my electrics out. Have a look at the attachment. Also in the next post see an attachment of the electrics in my son's TC3.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Attached Thumbnails GT7 problem?-jan-04-yoke-electrics.jpg  
Old 04-29-2004, 12:27 AM
Tech Master

Attachment with TC3 electrics.

Both cars run GT7s and Novak XXL receivers.
Attached Thumbnails GT7 problem?-jan-04-jb-tc3.jpg  
Old 04-29-2004, 03:22 AM
Tech Master

I have found the main cause of interfearence is where the leads go into your reciver. after all steering, and throttle are right nest to each other here. make sure the spades on the end of the wire are fully sitting on the little poles in the reciver. if your only getting a half contact the car is all over the place
Old 04-30-2004, 03:38 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the helpful replys. I think what Im going to do is test my car with a different ESC tomorrow, if it glitches, well at least its not the $140 ESC, if it doesnt glitch, then good, I finally solved the problem. If the latter is the case I'll probably send it back to novak in exchange for a reconditioned one, btw thanks for hooking me up with that option odpurple. Man, it'd sure be nice to be able to race this thing again...