Search

Tamiya TB01 Rally rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Tamiya TB01 Rally rebuild

Hi All,

This is my first thread showing the rebuild of one of my older RC cars. In 2000 I picked up this Tamiya TB01. The kit was the German Rally Championship version of The Subaru Impreza WRC. I traded the Schumacher SST2000 that I raced in the late nineties for it, wanting to get something to bash around the house and jump over things with...

Anyways, fast forward to now. I have decided to rebuild it and prepare it to run in the Rally class of the TCS if I would like.

I don't have tons of time or money these days, so this thread may evolve somewhat slowly at times. I hope you enjoy it anyways.

First, the before pictures. The original body was never painted, so I won't bother showing you body-on pics. (I used an HPI Impreza body instead, knowing that it would see some abuse)

The chassis, Note late nineties Novak Speed Control (410 M1C) and Trinity X-Star stock motor

Note the cobwebs (springs are Schumacher leftovers)

There may be some binding in the suspension.

Last edited by ErikO; 04-28-2010 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

The disassembly. This car design is quite clever, with essentially identical front and rear ends. It's also basically an electric version of the TG-10 gas sedan.

The basic design is still used today in many forms by many manufacturers. I'm not sure if Tamiya was the first with this design though. The Associated TC3 and Tenth Technology Predator used similar layouts.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Tech Adept

The parts. I managed to find the manual and some parts that were not installed/ are spares for the car.

Also found the original silver can motor (going to be used) and mechanical speed controller (never to see a single electron) that came with the kit.

"Clean parts" and original motor/MSC:

Yuck:

Old 04-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Tech Addict

If you need a set-up for your rally car, let me know. I've raced my TB-01 in the rally class for 3 years and placed 1st, 3rd, and 2nd. I race at S&N's Trackside TCS. Have fun with the rebuild
Old 04-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Adept

Any setups would be great. Thanks!

I'm also looking for a front shock tower, and any other spares/hop ups anyone may have sitting around.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Good luck with the build. That (with the Evo 6 body) was my first ever RC Car. Awesome time with it. Parts may be hard to come by though...... I'm now looking to get the latest - DF03RA!

You should swing over and see the guys at: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...r-c-rally.html

especially if you'll be running rally, rather than "On Road".
Old 04-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ErikO
Any setups would be great. Thanks!

I'm also looking for a front shock tower, and any other spares/hop ups anyone may have sitting around.
The track I race at is hard packed clay with a few jumps that are slightly too large for a rally car.

-80wt shock oil
- stock silver springs (rule to run stock springs)
- -2 degrees camber
- Fresh rally block tires
- 0 degree toe (close to it...so much slop in stock steering!)
- I will have to measure ride height for you...at least 10mm (away at college)
- Make sure front of body is slightly higher
- Tamiya hi-torque servo saver
- We run silver cans with 7.9 FDR

Hope this helps
Old 05-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the tips!

I think this car will be staying on the pavement or carpet from now on, based on how hard it is to get replacement parts, and my HPI Blitz which is already too fun in the dirt.

Starting cleaning the parts now that the car is fully apart.

Washed the plastic:

Disassembled the shocks and soaking the diff parts in degreaser:

I've managed to find some spare parts for it, and will hopefully get some more this week when I go to a local shop that has tons of old Tamiya parts. on hand.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Tech Adept

Got some cool stuff this week, including: aluminum centre shaft, lightweight diff cases, aluminum motor mount, all metal axles, and all new bearings and shock shafts.

Some pics of the progress from tonight:

Diffs assembled using new lightweight gears (plastic instead of the standard metal) and anti-wear grease. Also shown is the new aluminum centre shaft. I'm trying to figure out what type of lube to use on the ring and pinion gears. Suggestions are welcome.

New TG10 Mk1 racing bumper with foam protector

Rear suspension assembly components

Completed rear suspension

This stuff is awesome for axles or anything that requires lubrication but is exposed to dirt or dust

Assortment of springs I found tonight. In front are my original tuned spring set from my TA02 (yeah I know I'm missing a yellow spring, it's lost somewhere with the old school aluminum TRF shock attached...), Stock silver springs and in the back are the "rally-spec" springs that came with the kit originally.

that's it for now, I'm hoping to get more done this weekend, but we'll see.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Good progress this weekend.

Assembled the shocks and built the front suspension:

The piece de resistance - a brand new chassis!

Steering linkage installed and motor mount test fitting:

Test fitting the front and rear gearboxes to check for binding and gear mesh:

Old 05-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Tech Adept

Got the chassis pretty much done tonight. I've been messing around with shock setup to get the right balance between travel and ride height so that I can run both high and low clearance. I noticed when browsing some photos of the TG-10 chassis that the shocks are bolted directly to the gear case and not the shock towers that came with the TB-01. Since both of my shock towers are cracked, I'm going to use the TG-10 setup.

Front end:

Rear end:

Tossed some wheels on to check the ride height:

There's still some tweaking of the shocks to get the suspension right, but I'm happy with the result so far.

Electrics come next, but I still have to pick up a speed control for this beast.

I can't wait to sort out the body, wheels and tires and run it.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Nice!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Tech Adept

The electronics install. I chose basic components because this project is about simplicity and I doubt I'll ever run more than a silver or black can in it.

Servo: Hitec 5485HB
ESC: Tamiya TEU-104BK
Receiver: Futaba R603FF
Motor: Tamiya 540J

Pics:

Servo installed

Motor installed:

I modified the battery holder to allow the use of lipos with banana plugs:

ESC and receiver installed. I'm a bit of a stickler for clean wiring, so I kept the motor leads short.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Adept

The chassis is finished! Fitted my period Schumacher rims and tires. The tires are still surprisingly soft given they're 10 years old. I plan on using them for testing.

Cleaned up the old HPI Impreza body:

My new (old) TB-01 Hanging out with my M03 and HPI Blitz.

The body is apparently 190mm, but i suppose the measurements weren't terribly accurate back then, as the body is much closer to 200mm wide. Eventually, I'll look around for some 3mm offset wheels that will work with the body.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

I have a HPI Ford Focus WRC Rally car + a HPI evo6 WRC and Peugeot 206 WRC and they are 200mm

As far as I know the '98 Subaru WRC is the only one in both 190 and 200

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.