Questions?? Increasing mechanical grip

I want to know how if the following would increase grip on a low grip track:

1. Soften Springs
2. Soften Oil
3. Lower roll centre
4. lating shocks down
5. more droop (lower number)
6. moving the motor further in-board

I am trying to increase on power steering - not whilst I am accelerating out, but when the throttle remains neutral - therefore not much front/rear weightshift, more right to left so to speak.

If truth be told the car is about 80% there it's now down to my own personal fine tuning.

I use an MI4 LP, and the track I am talking about is West London.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have good luck playing with caster blocks. not sure what the mi4 comes with but try a higher number (more inclined) this will give more steering on power and without weight transfer. Also I like to fine tune ackerman when the car is pretty much on. If you get your ackerman right the car is so much easier to drive and can really increase corner speed.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

oh yeah, don't forget camber link positions. You can lengthen them or raise them on the inner mounting position that should give you more bite.

Also don't forget that a given track only has so much grip, so it may be necessary to to take grip away from the rear to balance the car. You could try taking rear toe out of the car, shortening camber links, stiffer spring, less camber, etc. remember it's all about balance.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Lohan

1. Soften Springs
2. Soften Oil
3. Lower roll centre
4. lating shocks down

I am trying to increase on power steering - not whilst I am accelerating out, but when the throttle remains neutral - therefore not much front/rear weightshift, more right to left so to speak.

If truth be told the car is about 80% there it's now down to my own personal fine tuning.

Lohan, speak to Ashley Wiffen, at WLRC his Mi4 sticks like shit to a blanket
Old 04-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Tech Adept

Default Hi Skiddins

I have spoken to both Wiffin and Kerswell - both exceptional drivers. That's one thing I can't adjust as quickly as my car

Joking aside I have followed the kit/grainger set up. I was partly posting to see if my suggested adjustments make sense, and secondly what other adjustments are worth exploring.

Anyway - keep the recommendations coming - they will be appreciated
Old 04-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

I have spoken to both Wiffin and Kerswell - both exceptional drivers. That's one thing I can't adjust as quickly as my car

Joking aside I have followed the kit/grainger set up. I was partly posting to see if my suggested adjustments make sense, and secondly what other adjustments are worth exploring.

Anyway - keep the recommendations coming - they will be appreciated
download http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/sho...p?file_id=6143
It has everything you need to know.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

1. Soften Springs
2. Soften Oil
3. Lower roll centre
4. lating shocks down

What you are describing is not on-power handling - it's neutral power handling.

Four of the things you have mentioned will fundamentally increase mechanical grip. One of them (damping) is more about the reaction of the car to inputs, but will also have the effect of increasing grip too. Moving the motor more inboard (whilst retaining L/R balance) is just plain better.

If you are looking for more grip mid corner, the softer settings are the way to go, although too soft can make the car roll too much and you compromise the contact patch of the tyre. I would normally change the front of the car first to affect the mid-corner/neutral power handling.

If what you are looking for is more response in left/right transitions, go harder. Response is different to grip, but the faster weight transfer from the stiffer settings feels like more grip initially.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up Thanks

I appreciate the advice - especially sosidge -

I think at times my own understanding of terminology fails me - ie - on power vs neutral power

Thanks for the XRAY suggestion - thing is that I already have that - if I recall rightly the earlier one for the old t1R was a lot better than the current manual - thanks none the less - much appreciated.

I am racing either colchester or aldershot ath the weekend, and am gonna systematically go through a series of mods as follows:

1. change the shell to a titan mazda (not got a protoform at the moment)
2. try an LTC - R shell (if painted)
3. use tyre warmers
4. change front springs to a tad softer
5. lay front shocks down a bit
6. increase droop front and rear by 1/2 mm so it's 4front and 3 rear

I think I'll do all changes with warmed tyres, and see where it goes