Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tire removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Tire removal

I have what is probably a stupid question. Is there any good way to remove tires from wheels? Or throw them away!
Old 05-20-2004, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i have sort of the same question, but it is towards foams. Can you can just a foam tire and then glue it on your on rim?
Old 05-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Regional Moderator

I'm not sure about removing foams, but I think with rubber tires you can just cut the tire off and soak the rim in acetone for a while until all of the CA comes off. That's what I do with my off-road tires and it works pretty well.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

Does acetone make the wheels brittle?

For foam tyres I have heard of some people using a tyre lathe to grind them off.

Last edited by Seano; 05-20-2004 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

use CA debonder
Old 05-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

Be careful; Acetone can dissolve/melt some plastics.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Default Is there any good way to remove tires from wheels?

pork-chop;

Boiling in a BIG Pan of Water is the best way.

Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a low simmer. It may take a few hours depending on how good of a gluing job was done. The tire will just peal away from the bead when they are done (cool to avoid burned fingers).

Unless you are familiar with Plastics, I do NOT recommend using Acetone soaking. Some plastic wheels will melt (Polystyrene) into a gooey mess if you use the Acetone and some Rubber tires will shrink if left soaking too long.

Boiling is much safer. (just don't let the pan run dry)
Old 05-20-2004, 06:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

I should have been more specific, I want to save the rubber tires, have a broken wheel
Old 05-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation

Pork-chop

I agree with what super steve & Rob Hochberg.. If this doesn't work out try what posracer suggestion.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Wency_TA03R-PRO
Pork-chop

I agree with what super steve & Rob Hochberg.. If this doesn't work out try what posracer suggestion.
Ummmm no. I would do the boiling first and then the acetone if the boiling doesn't work.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:09 AM
Tech Addict

Cool I bake Em

Bake at 325 for 15 minutes, turn them and bake for another 15. They peel off like a banana. Boiling works, but I have to work to get them off. I figured they had to be just a little warmer for the glue to let go so I tried to bake them. Line a cookie sheet with foil and don't put them on the top shelf in an elelctric oven cause it will melt the tires. Yes the house has a fine aroma of tires, but what the heck, I am single.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:47 AM
Tech Initiate

LOL...boil, bake....this is starting to read like a cooking forum...
Old 05-21-2004, 05:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by nickcacc
LOL...boil, bake....this is starting to read like a cooking forum...
Julia CHilds here and today we have an exciting recipe for all the racers out there after a hard day at the track...

First on the way home after racing stop by your local butcher shop or if possible look on the side of the road for some fresh road kill!! ( if you have a choice of more than 1 road kill take the one that has been aging). Just strap it to the hood of the car and awwwaaaaaaayyyy you go!.

At home prepare for the feast that will make the neighborhood take notice. In the front yard tap the keg of beer while cooling it with dry ice!!!! This is important, you MUST make the chef relaxed before they start cooking. Hack Daniels can also be used.

Next, dig a smaill hole and fill it with left-over nitro ful, on top put in all the broken parts you have collected that day. ( Both electric and gas parts can be mixed ). Then the car bodies goes next...
Now to give Bambi ot Rocky Racoon the flavor as it slowing cooks find some pressure treated wood to complete the source of heat needed.

Next take a long piece of pipe ( the living roon curtain rod is perfect for this application ) and put it through the road-kill length-wise. Spray it with motor cleaner or traction compound to give it it a golden color as it cooks.

ALmost ready, but this time you have to had 6 beers or half the Jack.. CRITICAL STEP IN PROCESS. You must complete this before proceding!!!!

Put 2 pit chairs so that they are across the fire-pit area. ( kitchen chairs or small children can be also used.

TO get the flame temp to the required 450 degress ( use temp gun to make sure ) put 2 - 3 gallons of gas that is suppose to be used to mow the lawn all over the pit, if more than 3 gallons that's OK..... Just means you have to run faster after lighting the fire.

Safety pointer: Gert a garden hose ready because as you cook the meal it will get quite hot there and you need to keep your cook cool as possible.

Place road-kill over pit... Almost forgot.. Need a side dish..
Get as many cans of beans as possible and put then on top on the wood, when the first one POPS they ready for serving!

To start fire, take glow-plug and put it on the bonfire until a flame appears. No luck, no problem.. Get some 4th of July fireworks and have at it...

Rotate road-kill slowly and in 15 minutes ( the same time as the mains ) it done!!!!

You'll be the talk of the town after this picnic!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

i suggest you trow them away don't recycle them. it's better to have fresh rims.

maybe the insert you can recycle it again.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Tech Addict

I bake the tires with the Sunday steak in a CLOSED cookie tin can. The steak tastes and chews like old rubber tire, but that's normal. You'll almost certainly destroy. A) The wheel B) The tire and/or C) The insert. Maybe all of them.

Seriously. Yeah sure . You can put the tires in the owen while it warms up and remove them when you start to smell the typical "burnout" smell, that should be enough time to break down the CA without seriously damaging the wheel/tire/insert.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.