Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too many stock motor choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Tech Master

Angry Too many stock motor choices

Im trying to decide on a modified stock motor for a tight track with a short straightaway.

Ive been looking at Team Paradigm's Monster Stock and Yokomo MVP, Fast Forward's Tomahawk Stock, and Team 1 R/C's Monster stock. I can't decide on which one to get

Which one do you guys prefer? All of these motors I picked obviously has a lot of torque, which I need for my track.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

I dont think there's anything called a modified stock... it's either stock or modified...

Anyway, the Monster (regardless of the tuner), is more RPM strong, while a motor like the Peak Hellfire is more torquey.

But it'll also depend on driving style. If you have a very floating driving style, an RPM oriented motor might be the way to go. With proper gearing of course...
Old 03-23-2004, 04:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What about something like a P2k2, plenty of torque suitable for a small track?
Old 03-23-2004, 06:08 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

According to Big Jim, the P2k2 or the MVP would be a great choice. If you get the MVP, make sure to get it with the trimmed brushes, you probably will have to gear up abit than you would with the regular MVP brush setup.

I should be testing out my MVP tommorrow. Mine isn't a tuned model so I will be doing this on my own but I have the brushes and can set the springs up right. If Paradigm has the MVP tuned in stock, would be a great one to get.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Re: Too many stock motor choices

Originally posted by DOMOisCOOL
Im trying to decide on a modified stock motor for a tight track with a short straightaway.
Sounds like RC Tech's track. You should go to the race there (next Tuesday) and see for yourself what proves to be fast. Then talk to the guys racing there to get their tales.

I would give the nod to an out-of-the-box Monster Pro labeled with specs like 22,000+ RPM, 65+ power and 100+ torque. That should have plenty of bling...
Old 03-23-2004, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Winner of last weeks race ran a p2k2. Lex and I when we won ran Monster stocks.I would suggest the p2k2 .You dont need High rpm at this particular track.Monsters at this particular track need to be geared perfect or your slow.They dont inherantly have alot of torque.The p2k2 is a good balance between the 2. Just buy the motor from Rctech.They will take care of you.No need for all the fancy online motors when you can support them and there race program by buying from them.They have some highly tuned monster if yu must though.Birdman motors have been fast and they sell them to.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:12 AM
Regional Moderator

I've tried a bunch of different stock motors (P2k, P2k2, Core, Green Machine...) and I like the monster the best of all of them. I have some of the ones straight from trinity, and there's also a crc one, a fantom, and a code red in our motor box. I've run them on big tracks, little tracks, oval tracks, and carpet and they work great on everything for me. I've never run the MVP, although I did consider it, but I got the monster instead. That one is probably the best out there right now, IMO.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

I've tried many stock motors, including the P2K2, Monster Stock Pro, Slot Machine, Core, Epic Binary Pro Stock, etc. The Epic is super good, has great RPM, not as much torque and not legal for ROAR sanctioned races. The Monbster stock pro is good any way you slice it. If you are just starting out, you won't notice the slight variations betweent he motors of this caliber.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Monster stock. Plain and Simple The best stock motor There is.Almost anything you throw At it will React good. binaries are More Picky, will work good if you have good brushes and spring combination. Monsters have Lots of Torque Also. Binaries have lots of RPM but take Long time to Get To Max RPM. IMO MOnster is the best.

Source: Rc anonymous
Old 03-23-2004, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Monster is my choice
the Monsters i build are usually quite torquey but it depends on gearing also
Old 03-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by R/C Anonymous
Monster is my choice
the Monsters i build are usually quite torquey but it depends on gearing also
Can You gear For Torque? I dont think. If you want speed out of a Monster gear it toward Max Speed. and you will have Torque and good speed. But im 99%wrong so dont take my Word
Old 03-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

i thought i was wrong once but i was wrong
Old 03-23-2004, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Not a real fan of Trinity motors but the P2K and P2K2 will do really well on the track you described. The MVP can be a great motor but it takes a little work. Although not ROAR legal yet ( should be soon) the Integy motors are worth looking at. www.integy.com
Take a look at their stock brush selection and also Team Paradigm's website for brush info. You can get a good idea for what "cuts" effect torque or rpm. One of the strongest stock motors I ran on a very small ( 40x40) technical track was the Peak Spitfire. Now known as the Hellfire.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:35 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

i read somewhere that the hellfire responds similar to the MVP when you tune it. If anyone has it, maybe try it out with the trimmed brushes.

I have a P2K Pro motor that had a basically new comm. Broke it in with some endurance brushes from Peak and will see how it goes. I figure it won't be all out powerful but this will be my practice motor anyway so I am not too concerned. I will post what I think between that and my tuned up MVP.

I have heard bad things about the ROM motors and the binaries aren't legal at alot of tracks , not at all at ROAR tracks.

My luck with trinity stuff hasn't been good so I am biased towards anything else
Old 03-23-2004, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Personally the monster has proven to be faster on all types of tracks for me. Get the gearing right and your good to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.