Wiki Posts
Search

Expert Advice Needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Expert Advice Needed!!

So I am new to the sport and have been looking at a few cars to purchase. I want to start with the best and make a good investment towards it and grow into my potential. So far the Tamiya RTF416X, XRay T3 & Hot Boddies Cyclone have caught my eye in that order. Please advise if there is another choice I should look into and why. If not, let me know which of these would be the best choice. For whatever car I get I have decided to get the Novak Velociti 4.5 brishless motor along with the GTB ESC. I'm not sure on the battery because I don't understand the differences between them but if you could advise a good LiPO battery and charger I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance to anyone that gives me advise. I really appreciate it. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Way2Evl
So I am new to the sport and have been looking at a few cars to purchase. I want to start with the best and make a good investment towards it and grow into my potential. So far the Tamiya RTF416X, XRay T3 & Hot Boddies Cyclone have caught my eye in that order. Please advise if there is another choice I should look into and why. If not, let me know which of these would be the best choice. For whatever car I get I have decided to get the Novak Velociti 4.5 brishless motor along with the GTB ESC. I'm not sure on the battery because I don't understand the differences between them but if you could advise a good LiPO battery and charger I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance to anyone that gives me advise. I really appreciate it. Thank you!
Personally the best advice you can be given would be at your local track..

See what other people are running first..

Normally spares are the single most important factor of racing, if you purchase a Tamiya and have to spend time looking overseas for spares = less time racing

Your local club there will be one car which over 60% of people use as spares are ready available and can be purchased local also they can give good setup advice.

Secondly 4.5t Brushless motor will be megga quick for a starter..

Again find a local club and get some advice on classes, even though they seem slow you may find slower is more fun as they tend to be bigger classes and much better learning arena.

Lipo battery question, if you are looking for something which can be used for a while look for 40c and 50c they will last for a long to come if looked after them.

Hope ths helps.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

You also need to be more clear with what you intend on doing with the car (racing, playing in a parking lot, or just making speed runs, etc.) I also agree that it would be more important to see what you can get the most support and help with locally seeing as you are new. All are good cars, but some may be better or worse depending on your intentions for a car, good luck.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Tech Adept

I will be using the car for the local track. I want to get a lot of practice in and then try and enter some races. This may also sound weird, but I want the best car for my price range. I want myself to be the limiting factor, not the car. I want to know that given the right driver my car will beat anything and everyone out there. So no one really gave me any advice on the car. Also, what brand of Lipo battery should I be looking for? I also saw an xxxx mah related to the lipo batteries. What does that mean and which numbers should I be looking for there? And is the voltage always 7.4 for the lipos? What voltage do I need?
Old 04-13-2010, 02:06 AM
Tech Elite

I will be using the car for the local track. I want to get a lot of practice in and then try and enter some races. This may also sound weird, but I want the best car for my price range. I want myself to be the limiting factor, not the car. I want to know that given the right driver my car will beat anything and everyone out there. So no one really gave me any advice on the car. Also, what brand of Lipo battery should I be looking for? I also saw an xxxx mah related to the lipo batteries. What does that mean and which numbers should I be looking for there? And is the voltage always 7.4 for the lipos? What voltage do I need?

You have already received the best advice there is about the car.

Given the restricted info you provide, it is very difficult to go any further. Besides, there is plenty of info around if you search. Perhaps it would help you crystallise your intentions better if you did a bit of homework.

Any car in the right hands will beat any other car. The three you are looking at are right up there. There are others, but as you have been advised already, it makes no sense to talk about them if you can't get them or parts.

And about the price range, you didn't mention it yet. The cars you're looking at are around the 500$ mark, but keep in mind, to set yourself up and actually put the car down on the track at competitive level you'll probably need about 3k$ assuming you buy everything new.

Take the advice you have received and pay a visit to your local track. It's the best advice there is.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Tech Adept

I appreciate all of you guys help. I assumed that with the internet and the amount of ebay stores that I wouldn't have a propblem finding parts. But I will check the local track and see what they're offering. Can someone still shed some light on the lipo batteries numbers and how they work. Who makes light batteries. Which brands should I stick with, what do all the different numbers mean, etc... Thanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

I appreciate all of you guys help. I assumed that with the internet and the amount of ebay stores that I wouldn't have a propblem finding parts. But I will check the local track and see what they're offering. Can someone still shed some light on the lipo batteries numbers and how they work. Who makes light batteries. Which brands should I stick with, what do all the different numbers mean, etc... Thanks.
Again, go to your track. They may have battery rules so again you might be wasting money buying some battery they don't allow.

The internet is all good and so on, but you can't get parts off the internet in a hurry.

Perhaps if you mentioned your local track you could find people who race there and could help you a lot more with accurate info.

Or you could look up the track website.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Tech Adept

I'd like to thank you guys for being patient with me. Your right about talking to people at the local track. They are very nice and informative. I spoke to a guy and he stated that most people are running the Hot Bodies Cyclone and the XRay T3 & another car that started with an "A", cant remember the name. He said it really doesn't matter what I get because they have parts for everything (American, I assume). He said they have a class for the 17.5 motors and I should go with that in the Tekin and the Tekin or LRP ESC. He said I would be fine with the T3 being that it is rather new and that they are coming out with a new hot bodies car in a few months. He mentioned handling wise they are pretty much the same and the Cyclone is a little less expensive. The local track is Speedworld (speedworldraceway dot com). Once again I apologize for being so anxious. Didn't realize they would be so helpful at the track.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I want to know that given the right driver my car will beat anything and everyone out there.
If this is true, you won't want a GTB. Look into a Tekin RS. Battery I would say whatever the top ThunderPower is (currently 5200 50c?). The chassis you have chosen are all good. You may want to look at the Robitronic Avid2 when it comes out later this month. (car with the "A" name?)
Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

Default Set-Up

So I went with the Xray T3 EU version. I got a mazda speed 6 body for it. For my controller I got a Spektrum DX3R w/ SR3520. They have a 17.5 class at my local track so I'm going with a Tekin 17.5 & Tekin RS Pro ESC w/ Hotwire. KO Propo PDS-2413 Servo and Sorex 28 & 36r tires. Haven't decided on my LiPo yet but I got a Hyperion EOS0606i charger.

Last edited by Way2Evl; 04-24-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

So I went with the Xray T3 EU version. I got a mazda speed 6 body for it. For my controller I got a Spektrum DX3R w/ SR3520. The have a 17.5 class at my local track so I'm going with a Tekin 17.5 & Tekin RS Pro ESC w/ Hotwire. Haven't decided on my LiPo yet but I got a Hyperion EOS0606i charger.

I was wondering whats a good servo that you guys are using? Also, what kind of tires are you going with. My local track uses Sorex but not sure what to get. I see a lot of Sorex xxR...what does that mean? My guess was it has something to do with the heat of the track related to the tire.

So if you guys could point me in the right direction and just let me know what you think about what I have so far and if there is anything else I need I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
You seem to have been well advised, your choices so far are pretty good imho. For the servo my personal favourite is the legendary KO2413, seriously I don't want anything else. EVER

(ko 4 life ! ;-)
Old 04-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Copy that, Great choices and KO servos.... Yes!
Old 04-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Holy Crap !!! These were good choices for a newbie !!??
Well...to late now so I'll give you the same advice I give all of the new drivers in our club. "Speed means nothing unless you can get it around the track". Although your equipment choices are very high end ...you don't have knowledge of the basics so....try not to get frustrated. The level of the equipment you bought is beyond the skill level of many drivers. It takes experience and knowledge to understand how to make changes but also why you're making them. Take your time and don't expect to come out winning right off the bat. It sounds like you may have a good group of people to help you. Seek help where its offered. More important than anything....Have fun.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

evoracer is right just dont over think the car!!! take your time on assembly. The best dollar spent is that of Practice Fees.. Find the fast guys in your class and pic their brains everyone in this hobby is always willing to help each other out. thats what i like about it.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

So I went with the Xray T3 EU version. I got a mazda speed 6 body for it. For my controller I got a Spektrum DX3R w/ SR3520. The have a 17.5 class at my local track so I'm going with a Tekin 17.5 & Tekin RS Pro ESC w/ Hotwire. Haven't decided on my LiPo yet but I got a Hyperion EOS0606i charger.

I was wondering whats a good servo that you guys are using? Also, what kind of tires are you going with. My local track uses Sorex but not sure what to get. I see a lot of Sorex xxR...what does that mean? My guess was it has something to do with the heat of the track related to the tire.

So if you guys could point me in the right direction and just let me know what you think about what I have so far and if there is anything else I need I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
i dont run electric YET but i do run 1/10 nitro, a set-up guide should be included with your T3 kit and also a small table that helps with set-up. it tells you what to do if you need more steering/ less steering, on throotle/off throttle and what to change first to get the fast correction... etc etc etc study this and always have it with you. when you do set-up adjustments, always do one by one so you can understand what really changed your car's performance on the track. if you do many changes like shock oil, ride height, droop and camber all at once, you will never understand what made the car better. just my 2 cents.

cheers
Ali

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.