Wiki Posts
Search

Help & Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Help & Suggestions

New Budget: 800$

What I plan to do with RC CAR: Race, Fool Around, Join Clubs, Enter competitions, Drift, Win rewards in competitions, tune it, etc.

I want a ELECTRIC shaft driven 4WD Chassis ... Mostly the TB-03 Any other better electric 4WD Shaft Driven Car?

What I want most: Durability, Speed, Handling, Acceleration, Reliability, Performance, etc.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions...Thank You.

(BTW, which motor is better, Brushed or Brushless?)
Old 07-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

brushless is better. As for the rest.... it all depends.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

most of good 1/10 cars is belt driven unless you wanna go older cars like tc3 but it is not good enough to win some trophies

if i have $800 i would get a used but in good condition xray 09 or t3 or maybe even t3 11 (new model will come out soon, means price of t3 11 will drop after) any of it is good enough for some serious racing
it may cost around $200-$400 depends on condition and model
get a duo3 brushless $65 + shipping from stormer
savox 1251 low profile servo $63 + shipping from stormer
hobbywing, tekin or speedpassion esc
gens ace 5000 40c 2s lipo $35 shipped from hobby partz
a good set of tires, body and radio and you are ready to race/bash/drift
Old 07-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

God Amy, you know alot huh? Lol. Problem is I'm gonna have to find someone who could set all thatb up for me because I'm new to Hobby Grade RC And all that sounds complicated.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

My problem is, The TT-01 IS Clearly easier for ME to put together... All I ened to buy are the batteries and the charger... Now with all this other stuff...Its highly confusing putting it together and I wanna make sure I don't mess anything up...
Old 07-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wavey_King
What I want most: Durability, Speed, Handling, Acceleration, Reliability, Performance, etc.
Sounds like you're looking for an XRAY.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My problem is, The TT-01 IS Clearly easier for ME to put together... All I ened to buy are the batteries and the charger... Now with all this other stuff...Its highly confusing putting it together and I wanna make sure I don't mess anything up...
If you really want to get into racing and be even remotely competitive, you're going to have to learn how to build and set up a proper race worthy chassis. TT-01 is just not a race chassis. Even if you sink a pile of money into the car it still isn't good for racing. TB-03 can be a good car in the slower classes. I know a few guys locally that do pretty well with them, but they aren't as good for the faster classes.

Maybe you can find a helpful veteran racer in your area to help you out, but build the kit yourself and learn how it all works. Even if you're a world class driver, unless you can afford to pay someone knowledgeable to be your mechanic all the time, you need to know your car and how to tune it to various conditions.

Besides your car budget, you need to think about spare parts, tires, bodies, etc, etc. I suggest looking at the slower classes to start with. Something like VTA. The faster you go the more you're going to break or wear out. Tires go faster, parts wear out quicker and the hits are harder as the speed increases. Find out what they race in your area. Go to the tracks, talk to some racers there. Check out all the classes and what cars the guys drive.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by locked
If you really want to get into racing and be even remotely competitive, you're going to have to learn how to build and set up a proper race worthy chassis. TT-01 is just not a race chassis. Even if you sink a pile of money into the car it still isn't good for racing. TB-03 can be a good car in the slower classes. I know a few guys locally that do pretty well with them, but they aren't as good for the faster classes.

Maybe you can find a helpful veteran racer in your area to help you out, but build the kit yourself and learn how it all works. Even if you're a world class driver, unless you can afford to pay someone knowledgeable to be your mechanic all the time, you need to know your car and how to tune it to various conditions.

Besides your car budget, you need to think about spare parts, tires, bodies, etc, etc. I suggest looking at the slower classes to start with. Something like VTA. The faster you go the more you're going to break or wear out. Tires go faster, parts wear out quicker and the hits are harder as the speed increases. Find out what they race in your area. Go to the tracks, talk to some racers there. Check out all the classes and what cars the guys drive.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.
Good answer. I have driven myself the Yokomo SD LCG for some years and it was pretty fast but my next touring car will be a belt driven car. Todays belt cars have a better layout and are well balanced. The 3Racing sakura zero s would be fine start and affordable: http://os.3racing.hk/carkits_web.php?carkits_web_key=3
Old 07-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well whats the difference between belt driven and shaft driven (1)

I don't have any tracks near me or any veteran racers that can help me... So im on my own... Another reason why I've joined the forum to get some desent answers...(2)

I hope that I'm able to build the kit... If Not, I'm gonna be heated... Its like I wasted my 800$ on something im not capable of using -.- And I like Tamiya which is why I keep mentioning them... Would rlly wanna change companies. The only other company I would change too is HPI And get the Top-Of-The-Line Cyclone (If I decide to get belt driven chassis, depending on the answer to my question)

Thank you very much everyone
Old 07-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ft-driven.html
Old 07-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

And I like Tamiya which is why I keep mentioning them... Would rlly wanna change companies. The only other company I would change too is HPI And get the Top-Of-The-Line Cyclone (If I decide to get belt driven chassis, depending on the answer to my question)

Thank you very much everyone
if you dont have a track near you, you wont need all the electronics that i've mentioned except for the gens ace, u wont find lipo thats better and cheaper then gens ace

we get to learn while driving, i learn mostly from rc tech or internet

Last edited by amygal; 07-02-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've made my decision, Gonna get Belt Drive Lol. But which is Better...Tamiya TA05 or HPI CYCLONE S in Speed, Drift, Performance and Handling?
Old 07-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

New Budget: 800$

What I plan to do with RC CAR: Race, Fool Around, Join Clubs, Enter competitions, Drift, Win rewards in competitions, tune it, etc.
You want 3 cars then. One belt drive race car, one drift car, one car for bashing....just kidding (sort of)

Decide want you really want to do. You arent going to be winning in the 1st year , unless you're really really really good.
With the $800 you still need to get batts, GOOD tyres, charger, 2.4Ghz radio setup, descent servo, tools.

You said there are no local RC clubs, where do you plan the run the car ??

Tamiya TA05 is probhably tougher than a Cyclones, but needs a clean track to run it.
If you run belt drive on local roads, car parks, then the little stones & grit get into the belts & gears.
A TB03 may be a better option for you as its fully enclosed gears,similar suspension to TA05. You wont have the same issues with rocks etc in belt cars. TB03, cyclone,TA05 are also great drift cars.
Its a good begginners car, but needs the metal diff upgrade to handle more powerfull motors(as does the TA05)
I had a TB03 with a 9T brushless motor. Ran it for a year as a fun/basher car. It was alot of fun, but honestly not a serious race car (unless you use it in slower silvercan/stock races) . I had another car I used for racing.

Last edited by 1101; 07-02-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

When I said Fool Around...I meant like you know Race around for Fun. So I guess I'm back to the TB03, Lol. Have to do serious Mods to make it fast I'm gonna get drift tires and race tires...IDK What the 2.4ghz radio setup is or how to do it... I'm gonna want a ESC. IDK Which tools to get either...I definitely need the one that we use to tighten and loosen the wheel's bolt (I plan to get several wheels). I'm also gonna get two bodies or one...Which I would want painted (I don't have anyone who could paint it)

I also want a Led Light System . Wheels in the lights as wheel if possible...RC Muffler (The one for style).

PS: I now plan to RACE my friends who are getting the TT01 And Drift and make videos... I guess bet with my friends? Lol
Old 07-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Anymore help guys? I would appreciate it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.