Search

Front Wheel Drive Rules Proposal

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 04:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PaPeRo
Wrong analogy...try again...

Spec Miata is a ONE CAR ONE MAKE series.

Tamiya doesn't have that type of series.

Try looking up BTCC or DTM or Lemans or WRC...I don't see all the cars being made by Toyota. LMFAO!!!

http://www.world-challenge.com/
Tamiya does have one make racing in the F1 class. State side you can run the F103 but in Japan you can only run the F104,with the 2200 LiFe ,Tamiya Tires and the Formula tuned motor.Thats even more like spec Miata than you thought. So for guys in America coming to Japan hopeing to be Tamiya F1 world champion with a F103 and lipos you might want to think again.
Mostly likely Tamiya will have the FF03 run with 4WD touring car as the FF02 runs with them now.They will adjust the weight or pinion like they do with other mixed chassis classes (mini) if it a problem.
The last time Tamiya ran a World championship involving Fwd(FF01) the class was separate from the other touring car classes. The FF02 never got its own class,Im guessing because it wasnt a good time for Fwd.And the FF02 wasnt very popular.

The FF03 looks great!! Should be a fun drive.
Just read the TRF page and Tamiya will be running it as a One make class in the Tamiya grand prix. So you get an idea where Tamiya is going with it.

Last edited by bakaguyjean; 04-10-2010 at 04:14 AM. Reason: i cant spell
Old 04-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
Tamiya does have one make racing in the F1 class. State side you can run the F103 but in Japan you can only run the F104,with the 2200 LiFe ,Tamiya Tires and the Formula tuned motor.Thats even more like spec Miata than you thought. So for guys in America coming to Japan hopeing to be Tamiya F1 world champion with a F103 and lipos you might want to think again.
Mostly likely Tamiya will have the FF03 run with 4WD touring car as the FF02 runs with them now.They will adjust the weight or pinion like they do with other mixed chassis classes (mini) if it a problem.
The last time Tamiya ran a World championship involving Fwd(FF01) the class was separate from the other touring car classes. The FF02 never got its own class,Im guessing because it wasnt a good time for Fwd.And the FF02 wasnt very popular.

The FF03 looks great!! Should be a fun drive.
Just read the TRF page and Tamiya will be running it as a One make class in the Tamiya grand prix. So you get an idea where Tamiya is going with it.
Exceptions don't prove the rule. How popular was that F104 ony series in the rest of the world?

As has been mentioned a FF series should be run with rules like in RCGT where you are free to use different manufacturers cars that are within the same class. In fact there should be a new FF class under RCGT. Doesn't Yokomo make a FWD car too? Would be cool to be able to pick between a FF03, FWD Yokomo or XEVO FF.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

As has been mentioned a FF series should be run with rules like in RCGT where you are free to use different manufacturers cars that are within the same class. In fact there should be a new FF class under RCGT. Doesn't Yokomo make a FWD car too? Would be cool to be able to pick between a FF03, FWD Yokomo or XEVO FF.
Yokomo's YRF2 isn't made anymore, and the Xevo FF is actually a mini chassis conversion. Tamiya's FF03 and T.O.P. Racing's Sabre FD are the only "new" chassis I can think of coming out soon.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Exceptions don't prove the rule. How popular was that F104 ony series in the rest of the world?

tell you what.. since you're so good at nitpicking..... why dont YOU CREATE your own series, tell us how well it runs and how popular it gets.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I am the smartest man alive when it comes to RC

just because you know more then I do doesn't prove me wrong

Old 04-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jato Fox
Yokomo's YRF2 isn't made anymore, and the Xevo FF is actually a mini chassis conversion. Tamiya's FF03 and T.O.P. Racing's Sabre FD are the only "new" chassis I can think of coming out soon.
Well if a FF class becomes popular I'm pretty sure you'll see more FF cars from other makes just look at the Short Course trucks....ironically Tamiya doesn't make one.

Originally Posted by Hebiki
tell you what.. since you're so good at nitpicking..... why dont YOU CREATE your own series, tell us how well it runs and how popular it gets.
I tell you what...why don't you READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD then get back to me. If you don't have anything to contribute WHICH RELATES TO THE TOPIC then I suggest you STFU.

You whining about other peoples post has NOTHING to do with the topic. Didn't your mom teach you proper forum discussion?
Old 04-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot

I am the smartest man alive when it comes to RC

just because you know more then I do doesn't prove me wrong

exactly....
Old 04-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I remember the FF class had no weight limit too. with the light weight lipos these days, you can easily achieve the supposed ideal weight distribution of 60/40. even better with the batt inline. I really would like to try the new FF03 out, even though no one around me will get one...
Old 04-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inpuressa
I really would like to try the new FF03 out, even though no one around me will get one...
I'll probably be getting one of these, regardless of whether a class forms for it around my area or not. I'll have fun with it either way!

I could see this class winding up like the Short Course trucks around my area, two classes: Box-stock slash class, and a mod short course class where anything goes for all makes.

Tamiya will without-a-doubt pack in the silver can motor and possibly an ESC, and that's probably what the TCS series will run, FWD car bodies required most likely. That would be one class, a 'stock'-ish class. The other class would be for all other FWD chassis that could possibly come out, where people would run whatever motor, speed control, and body they want, for a 'mod' class. It could start off as 'stock' until more cars come out, and let those people that want newer technology in their cars to move up to the 'mod' class.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by inpuressa
I remember the FF class had no weight limit too. with the light weight lipos these days, you can easily achieve the supposed ideal weight distribution of 60/40. even better with the batt inline. I really would like to try the new FF03 out, even though no one around me will get one...
Not quite. I have a couple of YR F2 cars and with the motor up front and Lipos at best 100gram lighter than Nimh and placed longitudinally, it is nigh-on impossible to get 60/40. I even poured my own 100gram lead weight ballast and strapped all the way at the back of the car and I still don't have 60/40.

Last edited by niznai; 04-22-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi, Something along the lines of...bodies have to be super realistic and wheels have to be spoked and realistic. The design of car is perfect, but there should be some more modifications required.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by niznai
Not quite. I have a copule of YR F2 cars and with the motor up front and Lipos at best 100gram lighter than Nimh and placed longitudinally, it is nigh-on impossible to get 60/40. I even poured my own 100gram lead weight ballast and strapped all the way at the back of the car and I still don't have 60/40.
IIRC, that YR F2 had barely anything on the rear. It should be easier to achieve it with this chassis with all that TC suspension setup in the rear. I was able to get my M05 to 60/40 with some gutting of the rear portion and putting the speedo on top of the batt area. The handling was great. Still I think the layout of the FF03 style will have better forward traction simply due to the position of the motor.

I'm excited because it reminds me of my first touring car which was the Calsonic Primera (FF01). I still have the body, maybe I'll put it on for an exhibition run. Curious to see how it will run with all that modern suspension components.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:23 AM
Tech Master

So you guys think having a really low weight limit will be ok? Not sure what the TOP car and get down to, but I think these new breeds of FF cars can hold their own up to maybe 17.5 against 4wd TCs. Its main weapon will be weight.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:52 AM
Tech Elite

stock johnson silver can class and a open 21.5 or 17.5 brushless spec esc class would be ideal. Anything faster will just be too much.
Rubber tyres only and no dish rims.
Scale FWD bodies only, no race blobs.
6 min heats.
2 finals with reverse grid for top 6 or 8 cars from 1st final.

emphasis must be on driving ability.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by heretic
and would never enter a class where I have to run a realistic body with no wing , chrome spoked wheels that make me look like a total redneck, etc. I like running fuorescent bodies that look like a spaceship with a giant aerobrake at the rear and dish wheels cause it looks like a toy and the fact is I would be uncomfortable if people watching me play around thought that I made the car realistic cause I can't afford the real one.

NO-one said you COULDN"T paint your body whatever color you wanted... I don't think there are any rules against that... and no-one said you needed to run chrome wheels... most of the cars running in RCGT use black, white, or bronze Volk TE37s... there probably nothing more "race" than that

And since when do realistic bodies bring people to this hobby? Think of the success of Off road 1/8th...

Since always.... Look at the success of scale crawling, RC Motorcycles, Short Course (Traxxas Slash and others), F-1, Monster trucks, Mini-Z, the success of Tamiya and Kyosho in general and every other segment of RC.. it's the realistic bodies that DO bring newcomers and kids into the hobby because they want a replica of what they see on TV and at the real track... THEN as they get better and see the advantages of running an "aero" body in real race situations at high speeds with low turn motors, then they move to those... 1/8 buggies and off-road vehicles in general all started with the RC10(scale off-road buggy) and other early scale Tamiya and Kyosho offerings.... even Truggies came from people wanting more from their scale monster truck racing

Furthermore if you impose a limited number of so called realistic bodies everybody will soon know which one works best and here you go, everybody runs the same one, only different colors (if you're lucky).

There are probably more "realistic" bodies available than "coffee bean" bodies.. look at ANY manufacturer's website and count the available bodies in each category.. then match "realistic" to "race" bodies.... "realistic" to "race" is no comparison. Besides look at the current race bodies (the ones you like)...they ALL look 95% the same with the same ROAR-Approved shape except for paint jobs and decals...

Personnally I love the new FWD Sabre or Sword or Knife or whatever, but I will run one only if I can put a body that WORKS on it, with a REAL WING, that I can paint fluo yellow if I want. just stay away from the bodies please.

Buy a Bburago instead.

No-one said you COULDN"T paint your car flo yellow, orange, puke green... it just should be a relatively scale shape.. and there are several RCGT- approved large GT wings to satisfy your big wing craving... some think "big wings" and fluorescent colors are "redneck"

I'm not de-valuing your opinion, but at least back it up with facts...

(actually I like flo orange... it's easy to see at the track .. LOL)

Last edited by akura2; 04-22-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.