Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Front Wheel Drive Rules Proposal

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Addict

Default Front Wheel Drive Rules Proposal

With some new FF cars coming out, let's speculate some rules before it gets out of hand:

First of all I think these cars should be up to scale so no ugly body's come in to play. 180~185mm wide and realistic WTCC styles and small spec wings like the real thing. You don't need big wings here.

Maybe mandatory plastic chassis and dampers or at max glassfibre sheet with no cut outs (cheaper tooling) and manufacturer spec. No 2mm, 2.25mm, 2.5mm,... One chassis for al circomstances. We need a cheap category. Now every single category you have carbon fibre. This would be real stock as it should be.

Stock motor only. Like mini there no point in putting a high perf motor in an FF becouse the only thing you gonna get is wheelspin.

Steel srews only.

Transmission parts from the outdrive to the wheel must be steel.

Last edited by Barry White; 04-20-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Something along the lines of...bodies have to be super realistic (Tamiya style realistic) Super 2000 (WTCC) down to the wing and position of wing, and wheelbase have to be adjustable (as it is on the FF03 - 257/245/233mm) to accomodate different REALISTIC bodies. Wheels have to be spoked and realistic.

The rest someone else can think of....
Old 04-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

Realistic body's are much more important than dish wheels. There are plenty of real touring/rally cars that used them. Also it is easier for a spec tire manufacturer if he only makes a dish wheel.

Last edited by Barry White; 09-12-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

im hoping tamiya will be releasing more bodies.

even better re releasing old bodies!!@
Old 04-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Barry White
With some new FF cars coming out, let's speculate some rules before it gets out of hand:

First of all I think these cars should be up to scale so no ugly body's come in to play. 180~185mm wide and realistic WTCC styles and small spec wings like the real thing. You don't need big wings here.

Maybe mandatory plastic chassis and dampers or at max glassfibre sheet with no cut outs (cheaper tooling) and manufacturer spec. No 2mm, 2.25mm, 2.5mm,... One chassis for al circomstances. We need a cheap category. Now every single category you have carbon fibre. This would be real stock as it should be.

Stock motor only. Like mini there no point in putting a high perf motor in an FF becouse the only thing you gonna get is wheelspin.

Steel srews only.

Transmission parts from the outdrive to the wheel must be steel.
I think your rules are too restrictive. Excessive restrictions just push people away from the class, or ends up increasing the amount people will spend on non-restricted parts, or a hauler full of different chassis to see which one works best. Have you seen the parts people buy to go racing in "spec" Tamiya classes? They have more money invested than I do in my "exotic" full-fat touring car.

What the USVTA rules have achieved is more realistic. Spec tyres, an approved list of bodies for the scale look (at standard TC dimensions), and a slow motor combination. At that level, carbon fibre and titanium screws make no difference.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Why not just follow RCGT rules?... they are already established, and the only difference is the chassis configuration (4WD versus FWD)
Old 04-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sosidge
I think your rules are too restrictive. Excessive restrictions just push people away from the class, or ends up increasing the amount people will spend on non-restricted parts, or a hauler full of different chassis to see which one works best. Have you seen the parts people buy to go racing in "spec" Tamiya classes? They have more money invested than I do in my "exotic" full-fat touring car.

What the USVTA rules have achieved is more realistic. Spec tyres, an approved list of bodies for the scale look (at standard TC dimensions), and a slow motor combination. At that level, carbon fibre and titanium screws make no difference.
Now every category is unlimited besides the motor. Parts must be cheap to be a spec class. USVTA is more of what can we do with what we have. It is still a TC with all the hop ups you have. A fast motor in an FF is just waste off money.
I think their is to little difference in categories right now.
VTA
Stock 13.5
Stock 17.5
Mod
Stock foam 13.5
Stock foam 17.5
Mod foam
All the same, handles the same (ok some diff between foam and rubber but U know what I mean) looks the same and costs the same.

When somebody comes to the track U must be able to tell him. This is spec, only simple FWD, cheap car, not to fast and very close racing.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:36 AM
Tech Champion

I would simplify the class by allowing rubber or foam tyres only, not both if that's possible.

For simplicity, rubber would be a preferred choice surely? Buying a tyre truer to get the tyres down to optimum size sounds expensive...

Or am I missing something here?

I have no interest in the class myself, merely thinking about keeping it simple if the class is deemed in general terms a good thing to have
Old 04-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tc3team
I would simplify the class by allowing rubber or foam tyres only, not both if that's possible.

For simplicity, rubber would be a preferred choice surely? Buying a tyre truer to get the tyres down to optimum size sounds expensive...

Or am I missing something here?

I have no interest in the class myself, merely thinking about keeping it simple if the class is deemed in general terms a good thing to have
No foam!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

EZrun 17.5 (or SP equivelant)
only replica bodys
1 tyre type

this needs to be an easy to control , cheap and good fun class

ths i feel at the moment is sadly missing from Touring Car racing at the moment
Old 04-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

If there were a "stock" class I would definitely get back into on-road.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by akura2
Why not just follow RCGT rules?... they are already established, and the only difference is the chassis configuration (4WD versus FWD)
+1
Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

I think given the fact that you're talking about FWD cars this is spec enough. These cars are inherently limited in their performance so anything outlandish would be indeed a waste of money. That's why you don't need to spec motors. Let everybody run whatever they want and they'll see it makes no difference very soon. As you pointed out, it is very easy to over motor a FWD car so I think in a very short time, people will just stop trying and settle to whatever works best and that'll just be equivalent to speccing the class.

Personally I don't think anymore than a 21.5 is necessary in these cars, except perhaps on some of the larger, more open tracks (we had an experienced driver run a fully loaded TA03F with a 17.5 in our 21.5 class and he didn't win).

Tires and all that is just not going to make an important enough difference and problems with supply, club rules, etc will just override any spec.

About wings, I think this may be counterproductive (rather than redundant and off-putting). I have raced my YR-F2 a few times and I think with a TC style wing it would cut down a bit of lift-off oversteer in fast corners.

My opinion is only weight, ride height and FWD are necessary specs. The rest is intrinsically limited.

And yes, I agree with the point made above. Have a look in the mini thread and you'll see people spending crazy money on their cars - all race legal - but not any faster (or necessary).
Old 04-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by akura2
Word...

Just have a weight difference. IFMAR still has a weight differential between FWD and AWD. A 100 grams is a good chunk of weight and it would be an awesome on-track dynamic to see which could be best utilized.

I would love to race FWD again. I cut my touring teeth on a FWD Tamiya in the early '90s, even the stock TCS race back in Detroit against a bunch of 4wd.

Mike Slaughter
Old 04-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tpsolid
im hoping tamiya will be releasing more bodies.

even better re releasing old bodies!!@
That would be nice since my old FF Tamiya Civic body is trashed and I can't seem to find a new one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.