Search
Like Tree220Likes

Tamiya FF03

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cannon
You realise that by running just one class you will only get to race once every 5 houyrs !!!!!!
hey man, really good point there...
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Non timed 17.5 are hard to gear up on the FF03. That is why we picked 13.5 as it is easier to gear and not that slow. Our speed is similar to turbo 21.5
Thanks for the response Cannon... So you're saying that the 21.5 turbo is as quick as a standard 13.5? Ouch! I have run a non-turbo 13.5 in the past as it was originally identified as being about the same performance as a 27x1, so that makes sense, but if I'm going to be racing against 21.5 turbos with a 17.5 that I'd have to gear really high to be competative (& also get hot), I'm going to get my rear end kicked!

I think I need to look for an 'Old Man' can!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Waco
Thanks for the response Cannon... So you're saying that the 21.5 turbo is as quick as a standard 13.5? Ouch! I have run a non-turbo 13.5 in the past as it was originally identified as being about the same performance as a 27x1, so that makes sense, but if I'm going to be racing against 21.5 turbos with a 17.5 that I'd have to gear really high to be competative (& also get hot), I'm going to get my rear end kicked!

I think I need to look for an 'Old Man' can!
You have to remember that the system we use has no timing on the ESC and no timing on the motor. Currently we are running at 50mm rollout (60 spur/40 pinion). With a 17.5 you might need to gear even higher which is hard to achieve with the FF03's 2.6 gearbox
Old 01-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

It's the second time i have been driven my FF03 PRO with the old B-type in front and the new C-type tires at the rear and the car runs like a dream. (it was on a indoor track)
Not to much grip in front that makes the rear too loose, it's just perfect with the B-type tires.
I could recommend it to you guys
Old 01-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I've been running a SP Cirtix 21.5 combo for the past few weeks practicing at Cal & the Rose Bowl. It's pretty spot-on with the other silver can FF03's. Seems to be a good,cheap alternative.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

You have to remember that the system we use has no timing on the ESC and no timing on the motor. Currently we are running at 50mm rollout (60 spur/40 pinion). With a 17.5 you might need to gear even higher which is hard to achieve with the FF03's 2.6 gearbox
Hi Cannon, I get your point, & I agree that my gearing is going to be off...
hence the comment re me getting my tail kicked!

I have seen that the RC scene is in a state of flux regarding the motor speeds/ sizes & how could the turbo/ non-turbo speedos be effectively policed when its common knowledge that there are pirate programs out there that can subtly enhance a motor whilst it appears to be running stock?

There is a good case for silver cans insofar that if you overgear them, they go off or 'let go', whereas the brushless can tolerate high/ over gearing so much better...

I like your idea with the fixed gearing ratios & the non-turbo 13.5s although I guarantee that we don't have enough support for that sort of class, let alone front wheel drive. But hey! It's worth a dream...

I'll have to find out what class they run in Boksburg South Africa before I go over there in December
Old 01-21-2011, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

any set-up suggestions for low/med grip asphalt? we're running the Tamiya GT tuned for our local TAC series...
Old 01-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (89%+)

Originally Posted by mikeygar
hey man, really good point there...
listen to the man, Mikey, try to run a 2nd class in TITC...

i mean, it'll just take you at most an hour/ hour and a half max to fix and recharge your car for the next round. what will you do for the next three and a half hours? check out our teammate Noel, he's planning on doing 3 classes there... and im going to run FWD in addition to my F-1 even though i know i'm gonna get slaughtered in FWD with my FF-02...
Old 01-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommi Makkinen

i mean, it'll just take you at most an hour/ hour and a half max to fix and recharge your car for the next round. what will you do for the next three and a half hours? check out our teammate Noel, he's planning on doing 3 classes there... and im going to run FWD in addition to my F-1 even though i know i'm gonna get slaughtered in FWD with my FF-02...
Thats the whole reason I picked up an FF03 to run as a second class... I'd be pulling my hair out with the amount of time between races.
Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but we've got Jilles, Surikarn, and Meen V joining in the FF class.
Only issue I see, is I probably won't be able to give the car a run until I actually get to Thailand... could be an issue!!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

any new re-release of older fwd bodies? Mondeo would be cool, and old VW Golf.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tommi Makkinen

I've decided to run the FF03 as well! Updated entry form sent to Itaru just now... Now to figure out the luggage situation
Old 01-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I've decided to run the FF03 as well! Updated entry form sent to Itaru just now... Now to figure out the luggage situation

Damn,

The more people I encourage to race FWD the further diown the field I finish
Old 01-22-2011, 03:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Waco
Hi Cannon, I get your point, & I agree that my gearing is going to be off...
hence the comment re me getting my tail kicked!

I have seen that the RC scene is in a state of flux regarding the motor speeds/ sizes & how could the turbo/ non-turbo speedos be effectively policed when its common knowledge that there are pirate programs out there that can subtly enhance a motor whilst it appears to be running stock?

There is a good case for silver cans insofar that if you overgear them, they go off or 'let go', whereas the brushless can tolerate high/ over gearing so much better...

I like your idea with the fixed gearing ratios & the non-turbo 13.5s although I guarantee that we don't have enough support for that sort of class, let alone front wheel drive. But hey! It's worth a dream...

I'll have to find out what class they run in Boksburg South Africa before I go over there in December
27t old school all the way
Old 01-22-2011, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Damn,

The more people I encourage to race FWD the further diown the field I finish
Hahaha hard to believe! Personally if I can make it to the middle of the pack I'll be very happy already!

Did my maiden run in our local TCS today and was very happy with the FF03! could have used more speed but our locAl spec is for the GT tuned motor I can only imagine how much better it will be with a 13.5!!!

Looking forward to running it again!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Hahaha hard to believe!
Did my maiden run in our local TCS today and was very happy with the FF03! could have used more speed but our locAl spec is for the GT tuned motor I can only imagine how much better it will be with a 13.5!!!

Looking forward to running it again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.