R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #1381
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use standard 44mm universal shafts from TA05 on mine.
The 46mm was too long i think.
RossoTorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #1382
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
WOW....I assumed there was a ready to go set of CVD's available but it appears that I have to buy the 46mm shafts, axles and hardware all separately.
Steve,

I took a set of M05 CVD and put on 44mm bones. Eddie says the 46mm bones don't fit if you have the aluminum outdrives.

Can't wait to get those graphite stiffening parts.

It's not how you stand next to your car, it's how you race your car.

http://www.dynamichobbies.com
TheZoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:19 AM   #1383
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Can someone tell me what the internal drive ratio is for the FF03?
$$$... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:41 AM   #1384
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by $$$... View Post
Can someone tell me what the internal drive ratio is for the FF03?
Old 10-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #1385
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default When in doubt, chrome it out.

Four-Wheel-Peel Subie as a FWD

Painted with Tamiya PS-48 Metallic Silver (Chrome). It handles very well with a little more initial and mid corner speed than the Porsche body. Too bad it won't be legal for any TCS races.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya FF03-ff03_cusco1.jpg   Tamiya FF03-ff03_cusco2.jpg   Tamiya FF03-ff03_cusco3.jpg  
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #1386
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtypec View Post

Painted with Tamiya PS-48 Metallic Silver (Chrome). It handles very well with a little more initial and mid corner speed than the Porsche body. Too bad it won't be legal for any TCS races.
Sweet looking ride, dude.
So niceeee.
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:58 AM   #1387
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZoof View Post
Steve,

I took a set of M05 CVD and put on 44mm bones. Eddie says the 46mm bones don't fit if you have the aluminum outdrives.

Can't wait to get those graphite stiffening parts.
Mike - so it's 46mm bones for the stock plastic outdrives or 44mm for the aluminum outdrives.

Last edited by SteveM; 10-25-2010 at 09:30 AM.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #1388
Tech Initiate

Default FF03 non-PRO version

Hi does anyone have a manual of the non-PRO version? All I can find is the Pro manual. Even TamiyaUSA doesnt have a copy on the site...

What I am trying to find out is if it is necessary to get the aluminium motor plate as a hop-up. I would assume that the non-pro version has a metal motor plate at least..I would rather spend the money on a viable part that is useful.
Although the pro version is nice, I reckon spending a little bit more on hopping up a std version would be money better spent. Sure, the TRF shocks are a bit pricey, but they are probably worth it, now I just need to know what else to get...I was thinking

(#54233) FF-03 Aluminum Diff Joint Set for FF-03 and FF-03 PRO
(#54235) FF-03 Alum. Racing Steering Set

and is this a necessary hopup, it seems the gears are a little suspect on this car too...

(#13504011) Counter Gear For FF-03

With a set of universals, and TRF dampers, I reckon this would be a better option than a PRO where I would have to buy a body kit, and I would get the diff set and the steering anyway so I would be about the same...

Any opinions would be appreciated...
sirandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #1389
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Parts instock !

http://rcmarket.com.hk/index.php?cPath=51_98_120_278
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #1390
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirandy View Post
Hi does anyone have a manual of the non-PRO version? All I can find is the Pro manual. Even TamiyaUSA doesnt have a copy on the site...

What I am trying to find out is if it is necessary to get the aluminium motor plate as a hop-up. I would assume that the non-pro version has a metal motor plate at least..I would rather spend the money on a viable part that is useful.
Although the pro version is nice, I reckon spending a little bit more on hopping up a std version would be money better spent. Sure, the TRF shocks are a bit pricey, but they are probably worth it, now I just need to know what else to get...I was thinking

(#54233) FF-03 Aluminum Diff Joint Set for FF-03 and FF-03 PRO
(#54235) FF-03 Alum. Racing Steering Set

and is this a necessary hopup, it seems the gears are a little suspect on this car too...

(#13504011) Counter Gear For FF-03

With a set of universals, and TRF dampers, I reckon this would be a better option than a PRO where I would have to buy a body kit, and I would get the diff set and the steering anyway so I would be about the same...

Any opinions would be appreciated...
I was thinking along the same lines as you before I picked up a used Pro for a good price. I actually prefer some of the parts that come on the non-pro kit, like the steel turnbuckles and ball ends.

The non-pro kit comes with an aluminum motor plate as well, as far as I can tell the only difference other than the blingy blue colour is the lack of cooling cutouts and mounts for the DF-03 heat sinks. So probably not necessary to upgrade right off the bat.

I also don't personally think the aluminum steering is necessary. You can replace the bushings in the stock plastic arms with bearings, and make the steering just as smooth. The aluminum looks nice, but I's rather have the plastic steering parts break in a crash than transferring all of the impact force to the servo saver.

Diff joints are a good idea, as well as CVDs. Those would have been my first upgrades. Look into upgrading to the TRF 416 diff adjustment screw and nut, and pick up some good diff grease.

Finally, you likely won't see a reduction in your lap times by upgrading to the TRF shocks, so a set of springs and oils would likely get you up a running before you need to step up to the fancy shocks. The stock plastic shocks work pretty good.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #1391
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Get the pro.
The cost of shocks alone will get you past the cost difference and you'll want a different body and real race wheels and tires cuz-

The Civic body sucks (no wing), tires/wheels suck (wear out fast), shocks suck (if you run em, go heavy on the oil cuz they are loose and sloppy inside).

I have the non pro, the diff, all plastic is working fine, I finally stripped the idler gear but only after many, many days of racing and practice.
Tamiya has a new one now.
Do not let the diff slip! It will last.
Dog bones work fine if not better, more free but will wear although mine haven't yet. Anti wear grease on bones at the hubs helps a lot.

I only spent money on shocks, tires/wheels and body.
It's fast and handles very well.

Copy Rod's setup from the Tamiya website and drive it.
I'm getting away with out the extra hinge pin braces etc. but the basic setup is very dialed most everywhere IF you have a body with a rear wing.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #1392
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirandy View Post
http://www.tamiya.com/japan/download/rcmanual/ff03.pdf
oldnwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #1393
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtypec View Post

Well the motor is in the right place, and if the rear prop shaft snaps then .....
And anyway, the US Tamiya series allows a Porsche to be run, so ....
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #1394
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Mike - so it's 46mm bones for the stock plastic outdrives or 44mm for the aluinum outdrives.
well I hope the 46mm shafts fit with the Aluminum diff halves cause I just ordered a set...

Rod C's set up from TCS shows both Alu outdrives and 46mm shafts
$$$... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #1395
Tech Fanatic

I also have the 46mm universals and the alu diff joints and it all works great.
After 2 months of regular driving i still didn't have to do maintenance on the diff, and after al that driving the diff still feels very smooth.
A real plesure
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote