R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree24Likes

Old 10-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #1351
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I found this 190mm Focus body though another member here. Nice price & reviews,but I'm afraid shipping will be quite a bit.

http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...=rcvp334310066
fordmike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #1352
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I saw the 2010 TCS north american finals' results, winner of F1, mini and GT3 are going to Japan. whatever happen to the winner of GT2 class? Also, I didn't see anyone racing GT1 (double deckers) and all the hotshots are racing GT4 (FF03). I hope this is going to be the new trend where more people compete in the non high-end chassis classes.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #1353
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Give it a few months and with all of the carbon and aluminium hop ups and I'm sure a chassis in the works this will be a high end class. They"Tamiya" just wrangles you in with the basics
Old 10-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #1354
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashuffer View Post
Give it a few months and with all of the carbon and aluminium hop ups and I'm sure a chassis in the works this will be a high end class. They"Tamiya" just wrangles you in with the basics
with it being a Tamiya tub chassis, i see a cap on the hop-ups being released for this platform direct from Tamiya.. Others may do dualdeck conversions.. Part of why i like this chassis. Shouldnt be a moneypit.. But im sure all sorts of bling will be offered and not necessarily needed.. One of few Pro kits from Tamiya that includes 'BLINGY motor mount.. Usually they only come in the R version, if im not mistaken..
OSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #1355
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I wouldn't be surprised that the plastic chassis will work better than the graphite chassis from the aftermarket guys. It comes down to flex and gaining rear grip.

Something similar to Mini racing. When we raced Mini at TITC in Thailand, the best Mini driver was Jilles Groskamp running a very flexy Mini to gain rear grip. As he said "too stiff a chassis and you will lose rear grip"

The bling bits are just that .... bling
Old 10-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #1356
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
I wouldn't be surprised that the plastic chassis will work better than the graphite chassis from the aftermarket guys. It comes down to flex and gaining rear grip.

yup.. my thoughts exactly.. long live the tub chassis.. i.e. flexy flyer.

i remember the days of my TA05 taking it to the TC5s, XRAYs and Cyclones at the local parkinglot tracks..
Old 10-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #1357
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Never have sold a motor in my life. Gave a ton of them away after I was done "tuning" them cause they were no longer a source of information. Also swapped some motors for a NIB motor. I'm ashamed to say, there was a time when I was out of money and motors to play with when I'd swap a motor for 2 NIB motors so I could have some motors to experiment with.

Thank you for the compliment, but let's face it, the rest of us are amatuers compared to Doc. Also, Rod's motor was not a 18k @ 5v motor. Not even close. Hand out motors remember. Swifty did his motor and it was "old school".
Funny thing I have only sold 1 motor and that was my best 4 or so years ago.

Don't sell yourself short, I would put you and the others in the same category of Doc, regardless if you ever sold a motor. Maybe the better term is "motor service".

I was referring to the last weekend race which looked to be non-handout motors. Seemed like an experiment for Tamiya to see how things would shake out, which made me want to post.
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #1358
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWK View Post
58476 JAS Motorsports Honda Civic
how rare is that running across a body that starts with my initials. . .
looks like a must buy for me!
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #1359
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Not really. We can get a more than competitive timed ESC for $130 (Hobbywing Extreme Stock). Hardly a giant outlay.

We were looking for something simple. There has been numerous threats of "masking software" for the blinking light no timing ESC's to hide what people are using. We figured an open ESC was the easier way to go and with a 21.5 motor it would be slow enough not to cauyse many issues
Don't be fooled. A Tekin with tubo and a 21.5 will smoke a non-turbo esc on every straight. Seen this happen already in an F1 series.

Lots of talk about modding the software to "fake" the blinking light for stock spec. However, has anyone stoped to think what kind of software expertise and $$$ it will take to accomplish that ? Is it worth it just for club racing ?
Kevin CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #1360
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin CBR View Post
Don't be fooled. A Tekin with tubo and a 21.5 will smoke a non-turbo esc on every straight. Seen this happen already in an F1 series.
The Extreme Stock ESC is a turbo ESC and great value considering it includes the download programming box.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:12 AM   #1361
Tech Fanatic

Old 10-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #1362
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentech View Post

I want this shell NOW!!!
old-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #1363
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

YES PLEASE!!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #1364
Tech Master

just found out the old style civic body is no longer in stock from Tamiyausa. wow, must be a super popular body. good thing I ordered half a dozen for the store.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #1365
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
This is from a "motor tweaker" and I couldn't agree with you more. However, the only way you can effectively get rid of this is to establish an rpm limit and rigidly enforce it. This is the responsibility of the track or organizers of the event. If you want to just spot check or randomly check, the threat of being exposed as a cheater will discourage most people. If you don't do this, you cannot expect people to not try to get more performance from their motors.

Also, it sort of pisses me off to have "motor tweaking" singled out as villainous endeavor. This constant "bitching" about motors really gives me a pain. Why don't we outlaw the chassis "tweakers". I'm in the process of acquiring all the "upgrades" to have a decent FF03 and am struggling with it. My suggestion would be that if you truly want a level playing field, let's rule out the chassis "tweaking" also. Afterall, if we use your criteria, it's unfair for them to use their knowledge and skills that they've spent time, money, and effort to acquire.

Nothing personal in this Craig, but you're not the first to punch my button on this. I just got a little tired of it. Also, while were on the subject, how many of the guys with "slow" motors have ever bothered to clean them or polish the comm. How many times have you come off the track with a motor temp at over 170? How many of you even bother to check motor temps? Still use motor cleaner to clean motors. Do you know how many people I've shown how to maintain their motors? And how many actually do it? Also have given away dozens of motors and have seen them "blown" up thru abuse and wrong headed gearing. Then have the guy tell you your motors no good. I could go on, but that's enough for now.
Grandpa - you have dead on comments on how to take care of the motors. I ran one of your little gems in my FF03 at Cal Raceway. Nothing killer, 12,500 rpm at 5 volts (high end of TCS legal) but was getting killed lap time wise. Ended up by the mains to have changed gearing by 6 teeth on the pinion to hit the sweet spot for that motor / track and ended up 3rd after the three A mains that night. So for you motor assistance, I will be happy to help you with your FF03 set-up. If you liked the TA05 set-up, you should like this one too. See you at Tamiya this Saturday.
Kevin CBR is offline   Reply With Quote