Like Tree220Likes

Tamiya FF03

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

OK, decided to build my non pro kit.
Runner up swag.

I hear it will be ok and I do have the blue alum. motor mount.

Any other must have pieces before gettin too far into it or will it be ok to get it on the track as is?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Runner up swag.

Any other must have pieces before gettin too far into it or will it be ok to get it on the track as is?
I have no idea what your saying Can you please explain this starting at Any other? Sorry maybe it's me.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Runner up swag.

You'll want the aluminum diff halves. And if you build it with them, you will be more likely to salvage parts when it loosens up on you (and it will). As I was rebuilding mine this weekend at the Nats, Jeff (Speedtech) recommended the 416 diff screw/nut set in place of the original. I used it, and it held up for the last qualifier and main. Turns out my thrust bearing was crushed, and that was most likely the root of my problem. I think the 416 screw may help by providing more evenly distributed pressure on the thrust bearing. And as an added bonus, I can adjust the diff without dropping the dogbone now.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gashuffer
I have no idea what your saying Can you please explain this starting at Any other? Sorry maybe it's me.
Am I missing something?

I saw earlier that Rodzilla sees no issues with the diff, screws etc.

Are we sure they are being built right.

Would be nice to get tips if necessary before I get into mine.

I heard about some sort of diff half assembly that can get overlooked and done reversed?
Arrows marked on ???????
Old 08-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Tech Champion

Am I missing something?

I saw earlier that Rodzilla sees no issues with the diff, screws etc.

Are we sure they are being built right.

Would be nice to get tips if necessary before I get into mine.

I heard about some sort of diff half assembly that can get overlooked and done reversed?
Arrows marked on ???????
Nah dude it was me. Have you ever turned on a radio to a song and you knew what song it was but it sounded like the timing was off? Like the drums sounded like they were on the up beat? I guess my eyes were reading faster than my brain was processing
Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

I can't speak for Rod, but everyone back home has had diff issues, and we're talking about Tamiya enthusiasts with years of kit building experience. Likewise, Gary and Jeff were both telling me about all of the stories they had heard from customers that also had problems with nuts backing out or thrust bearing failures. So much so that Speedtech was well stocked with diff screws and thrust bearings, because when you melt the plastic halves you don't get the hardware back easily.

It may help that Rod (1) is a very clean driver, and (2) rebuilds his car after every run (or so it appeared). I believe he even had a spare diff or two laying around this weekend.

There are a few tricky assembly instructions where you flip the diff around, but even following those instructions perfectly the diff may still fail. It may be a problem where we have over tightened the diffs, but I don't really know for sure. I didn't think I had cranked it down.

Hey, it's just my 0.02. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timmig
I got a chance to watch these cars at the TCS race and I was AMAZED at how well they handled!! I didn't realize they were front wheel drive until I looked at the cars in the pits!! They were THAT GOOD!!! This would be a GREAT entry level race car for the beginners---put a 21.5 brushless motor in with NO TIMING speed control--and the car would be very fun without dealing with "brushed" silver can motors!!
They were the class of the racing field at TCS!! Fun to watch!!
Tim
Beginners, bah! I love mine.

I've been running it in our silver can TC class and doing well. First people laugh at my GTI out there with the touring cars and then they come sniffing around the pits to see what it could be that is so dialed.

I am putting a 21.5/zero timing setup in it for next race. Silver can racing up here followed the typical arc over the last few months -- close, super-fun racing at first, then people started playing with motors a bit for an edge, and now there's a big horsepower disparity. People just aren't capable of respecting the "box-stock silver can" rule.

Anyway, I've run 21.5/zero before (USVTA) and it's really close to a good silver can, at least at our track. I know that once people see the speed is right and, more importantly, much more consistent from one car to the next, it'll catch on.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Also, I have the stock plastic diff. I built it exactly according to the instructions, haven't touched it since, and have had zero issues.

I also run 46mm universals which work perfectly for me as well.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

It is a major diff issue that is also happening in the M05. If tightened had they simply undo hemselves.

3 Racing are son to make a 2.6mm bolt and matching thrust to help stop this problem.

As I have said before the TRF201 has the same design diff but no issues and it is fitted with a larger diameter bolt
Old 08-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Tech Champion

Is this diff adjustable from the outside, like on my offroad buggies etc. or is it set to a certain feel then thrown into the cases and then you roll the dice that it won't slip, ever?
I'm askin cuz I haven't even opened the box and I have no clue.

I know for a fact that if a diff is allowed to slip, even a tiny bit, like some will swear it should to aid in traction on a loose surface, it will fry eventually.

If it is never allowed to slip like a clutch, it will last a long, long time.

If it is loosening on it's own, that is gonna suck bigtime.

Wow, another reason F1 is so cool, 5 second diff rebuilds.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:06 AM
Tech Master

Is this diff adjustable from the outside, like on my offroad buggies etc. or is it set to a certain feel then thrown into the cases and then you roll the dice that it won't slip, ever?
I'm askin cuz I haven't even opened the box and I have no clue.

I know for a fact that if a diff is allowed to slip, even a tiny bit, like some will swear it should to aid in traction on a loose surface, it will fry eventually.

If it is never allowed to slip like a clutch, it will last a long, long time.

If it is loosening on it's own, that is gonna suck bigtime.

Wow, another reason F1 is so cool, 5 second diff rebuilds.
The stock diff screw is an allen head and adjusts just like your SC10, where you have to drop the dogbone out of the cup first. The 416 diff screw is a large slot that allows you to put a small hex wrench across it (like a Losi), so you can make adjustments trackside without much fuss.

We'll see how mine holds up now. Maybe I just screwed the first one up while assembling it.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Should the key to sucess on this diff be the same as any other?

Basically sneak up on the correct "tightness" by taking baby steps tighter and tighter til it cannot slip (I hold both wheels and blip the throttle) yet not be overtightened as to make it ineffective as a diff (a locked spool) or damage anything like the diff halves, screw, nut...

Again, if it slips like a clutch, it fries.

If it loosens on it's own, it sucks.

I do want the slotted diff screw tho, thanks minimadmandude!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

not to take away from the diff issue, but does the corolla wrc 237mm fit this chassie
Old 08-31-2010, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

Last edited by gashuffer; 08-31-2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: oops wrong thread!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Cuda..

Stock diff is fine.. build per instructions.. Diff is adjustable extranally when installed in greabox/chassis, just need to remove c-hub/hub pin to get a straight shot at it.. can be adjusted in 5 min once you get it down..

Slotted diff screw is stronger cause it has a long shoulder... (not threaded the entire length) but will require loctite to secure to supplied t-nut.. doesnt come with locknut

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.