R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #2416
Tech Adept
 
Starteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 240
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I think the Pro version is the better value. Upgrades that I recommend are;

- sway bars #54230
- alloy servo mounts (TB03 items)
- Carbon steering link #54261
- Alum spur gear adapter #54234
- Carbon rear damper stay #54258
- Carbon rear stiffener #54264
- Set of CVD (need several parts)
__________________
Ride it like you stole it!!!!!!

Tamiya TRF417V5 SEDAN Racer - Tamiya 416X VTA Racer - Tamiya TRF 416X USGT Racer -Tamiya M05 V2 PRO Racer.
Starteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 AM   #2417
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Cool

Thanks mate. Could I also ask what fwd bodies are availiable to fit the FF03 chassis?

Cheers
Jackiemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #2418
Tech Adept
 
Starteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 240
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Depending on your track


Short technical track use the new honda civic
Longer track use the Beams Acura

The new Sirocco I haven't tested yet
__________________
Ride it like you stole it!!!!!!

Tamiya TRF417V5 SEDAN Racer - Tamiya 416X VTA Racer - Tamiya TRF 416X USGT Racer -Tamiya M05 V2 PRO Racer.
Starteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #2419
Tech Elite
 
caltek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,356
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Thumbs up

The new Sirrocco is better than the Beams Integra. Nearly all FWD cars at the recent TITC event in Thailand had the Sirrocco shell fitted. Initially most had the Beams fitted however by the second day the Sirrocco body shell was fitted to most cars because of its better handling on the RC Addict track. This track was high grip and super smooth. Ride heights were much lower than what we run at home. Tyres used were the Ride TITC handouts for the event.

Gives more steering and great traction.

later,

Calvin.
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #2420
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,535
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misiek View Post
Overall how were your results racing FF03 against 4wd?
I finished second overall..like I said you can't run hard or bump and grind againt the 4wd..you must stay out of trouble...
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #2421
Tech Elite
 
Timbulb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hovering over your mom's fishtank.
Posts: 2,018
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

So I got to test my FF03 out with the VTA cars at my local club last night. This thing is so fun to drive. I'll be able to keep up as soon as I find a fast silvercan to throw in and I gear it up, and mount a fan as I have seen in pictures.

three questions,

1. Is it normal to have a lot of wobble in the spur gear? I built to instructions but the whole spur gear assembly seems loose. It didn't effect it much but it seems odd.

2. What are the best CVDs for the price available for this car? Can you provide a link to where you purchased them please?

3. What is the best diff available? The plastic outdrives that it came with are not going to last long I'm sure.
Timbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #2422
Tech Master
 
Lethal Enforcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,562
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default

Need help with spur/ pinion combo . running 64p and a silver can . small carpet track. Thanks
__________________
Axial Scorpion ,Team Associated TC5R , Tamiya M03R, Tamiya RC Onroad.com
2012 TCS Best of show Mini
2012 TCS Best of show TT01
Lethal Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #2423
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,535
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbulb View Post
So I got to test my FF03 out with the VTA cars at my local club last night. This thing is so fun to drive. I'll be able to keep up as soon as I find a fast silvercan to throw in and I gear it up, and mount a fan as I have seen in pictures.

three questions,

1. Is it normal to have a lot of wobble in the spur gear? I built to instructions but the whole spur gear assembly seems loose. It didn't effect it much but it seems odd.

2. What are the best CVDs for the price available for this car? Can you provide a link to where you purchased them please?

3. What is the best diff available? The plastic outdrives that it came with are not going to last long I'm sure.
There's Tamiya hopup for FF03 Alum outdrive diff assy..
I use the 4wd cvd as long they are the same lenghts
wobble spur gear ? .I have to check mine ..
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #2424
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MD
Posts: 980
Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default

Yes the wobble is normal. the option piece improves the wobble a little bit. I haven't had any problems with is like this. I haven't stripped any spurs.

CVDs I used ones from a previous TA05. someone else can do the homework an provide a link.

I just threw out a set of the Tamiya Aluminum diff halfs out. the plastic blades get chewed up easily then that tears up the aluminum outdrives. the thrust bearing seized into the diff half. I only used them for a month and a half.

The plastic ones work just fine.

use a smear of shoe goo to hold the diff rings to the halves.
Ca the metal retaining rings to their plastic locations (sand lightly first) and the diff will word fine for a good long time between rebuilds.
Markus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #2425
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Default

There will be a slight wobble in the spur even with the alloy adapter and isn't an issue.

The ball diffs, either plastic or aluminum outdrives, just donn't last long with a brushless system and the best solution is the Spec-R gear diff.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #2426
Tech Master
 
Lethal Enforcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,562
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Enforcer View Post
Need help with spur/ pinion combo . running 64p and a silver can . small carpet track. Thanks
anyone know?
__________________
Axial Scorpion ,Team Associated TC5R , Tamiya M03R, Tamiya RC Onroad.com
2012 TCS Best of show Mini
2012 TCS Best of show TT01
Lethal Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #2427
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Enforcer View Post
anyone know?
For the Canadian TCS races last year on my club's small and technical layout I ran a 92/48 in 64P with the silver can motor for a FDR of 4.98.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #2428
Tech Elite
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Secret Underground Laboratory
Posts: 2,353
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

^^did that run a little hot, Steve?^^

At last weekend's TCS in Frederick, which is a good sized asphalt track that had two chicanes and some tight infield bits, I ran a 5.22 FDR. Car was as fast as anything out there (and better than the driver) & the motor came off at under 120F.

For a tight/small/carpet track and a truly competitive TCS legal motor (say 18,300 very warm vs the limit of 18,750 @ 7.2 volts), I'd start at 5.4 FDR and go up or down based on feel (sluggish coming out of the turns? winding out too quickly on the straight?) and motor temp (under 140F?).

With a Red Dot full race (20,000 RPM @ five volts), maybe 6.4 FDR to start. With a Red Dot 15K (15,000 +/- RPM @ five volts), maybe 5.8.
__________________
I've never lost.
I've just been a little bit behind when time ran out...

RED DOT MOTORS- Fastest Titan 12T and silver can 540 motors in the known galaxy!
rccardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #2429
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
^^did that run a little hot, Steve?^^

At last weekend's TCS in Frederick, which is a good sized asphalt track that had two chicanes and some tight infield bits, I ran a 5.22 FDR. Car was as fast as anything out there (and better than the driver) & the motor came off at under 120F.

For a tight/small/carpet track and a truly competitive TCS legal motor (say 18,300 very warm vs the limit of 18,750 @ 7.2 volts), I'd start at 5.4 FDR and go up or down based on feel (sluggish coming out of the turns? winding out too quickly on the straight?) and motor temp (under 140F?).

With a Red Dot full race (20,000 RPM @ five volts), maybe 6.4 FDR to start. With a Red Dot 15K (15,000 +/- RPM @ five volts), maybe 5.8.
We ran indoors on carpet and I used a cooling fan on my motor. It ran warm, but not too hot to the touch. 120F or so.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #2430
Tech Master
 
Lethal Enforcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,562
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
For the Canadian TCS races last year on my club's small and technical layout I ran a 92/48 in 64P with the silver can motor for a FDR of 4.98.
Thankyou
__________________
Axial Scorpion ,Team Associated TC5R , Tamiya M03R, Tamiya RC Onroad.com
2012 TCS Best of show Mini
2012 TCS Best of show TT01
Lethal Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Championship Series Neil Rabara Racing Forum 20847 Today 07:54 AM
FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF Mike Schumacher Electric On-Road 711 01-08-2017 09:27 AM
M03/M05's - The Aussie Mini Racing thread tony gray Australian Racing 5774 09-23-2016 10:49 PM
New Gen Front Wheel Drive Touring Cars (TAMIYA FF-03 PRO, T.O.P. Sabre FD) Rod M Australian Racing 34 06-11-2012 12:28 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:13 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0