Search
Like Tree220Likes

Tamiya FF03

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

clittle,

Are your TRF shocks the TC version? If they are mini size TRF's then you would have trouble getting ride height. I use the regular TC TRF shocks with yellow springs on the rear and have fitted the graphite rear shock tower. I run the rear shocks either fully stood up, outer hole on shocktower or next hole in. I have 40wt oil rear and 60wt front with two hole pistons and use the blue spring on the front. I also have swaybars fitted front and rear. Rear I use the yellow swaybar and the front I am using the red swaybar.

Other than that my car is built as standard, however I replaced the hingepin retainers with replacement alloy parts but in the same configuration as the plastic parts.

We have also found using a Sorex 36 or equivalent on the front and either a Sorex 24 or 28 with a medium insert on the rear helps with rear end grip.

I also replaced the plastic rear braces with the graphite parts to make the rear a little more rigid. These are the Tamiya parts.

I also fitted the SpecR oil gear diff as I stripped the 3Racing ball diff. This seems to be working well and I will stick with it as we do not have any TCS events in Australia.

Good luck and have fun racing.

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 04-25-2011 at 05:15 AM. Reason: revised text.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by caltek1
clittle,

Are your TRF shocks the TC version? ......

Good luck and have fun racing.

Calvin.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes mate, I'm using the TRF Touring Car version shocks. I don't (yet) have the rear shock tower so I'm only using the kit version. Does the graphite version have more available positions?

I might switch over to the longer version of the bottom "holders" for the shock... and if need be, use mini springs if it's too long. The excess droop is will be handled by the droop screws rather than the shock bottoming out. All good.

It's interesting that you are using a harder sway-bar on the rear than the front. Guess I have a bit of playing to do.

I'm using the stock ball diff, going to try and keep it together as I want this one to stay all Tamiya, for real reason other than I thought that would be cool.

Cheers
Craig
Old 04-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

what gearing should i start with running a trinity duo2 13.5t motor and no timing esc

running on large track
Old 04-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Criag,

Graphite shock tower has more adjustments, so the shock can be stood up. I found the car to work better this way.

The ball diff works very well and I have a 13.5 Hobbywing motor, zero timing with the just stock ESC. I find this to have good speed. I have a 65 tooth spur and 45 tooth pinion fitted. Both are 48 pitch. I do not use the cover over the gears as it will not fit.

I am using the car in LWB configuration with a Tom's XIV shell. My backup shell is a Honda Integra.

The car has very good steering and good acceleration and speed.

This car was harder to setup than my MO5 and requires a different driving style to driving my mini.

I also have my rear shocks setup in the same configuration as the MO5L where they are in front of the rear a-arm.

Good luck with your racing.

Calvin.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

Default CRZ FF03

Originally Posted by clittle
I picked up the FF03 CR-Z on Saturday, along with a bunch of hop-up options. I actually own a CR-Z so I was really looking forward to this one.

Built it overnight and gave it it's first run on Sunday. (using and old lancer body)
I ran an FF01 about 13 years ago and I'd forgotten how much fun this style of car can be. I've been running touring cars and minis. I was suprised about the differences between this and my m05. The m05 was quite hard to set up to get good turn in. My FF03 seems to have an abundance of turn-in. Which certainly is exciting sometimes

I'm going to have to spend more time working on the setup, that is for sure.

With the rear, I'm running the TRF Dampers (I had a set just sitting around), but I just don't seem to have enough in the damper to get a good ride height. When set as per the manual, the shocks bottomed out well before anything else, and with that the ride height was around 3.5 - 4 mm. I'm kinda hoping to get 5. I moved the upper arm position to the top hole and that game be a small improvement, but still not quite what I was hoping for.

What could I do to cure this curse???? longer connectors at the bottom of the shock? I'm not running any limiters inside the shock either...

Also, what is everyones thoughts on hard-front/soft rear as opposed to soft front/hard rear?

Cheers
HI clittle, What is the wheelbase of your CRZ FF03?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by oldrcer
HI clittle, What is the wheelbase of your CRZ FF03?
Hi,

The CR-Z uses the long wheelbase.

Can anyone please post a pic of the LWB with the rear shocks on the inside?
I've looked at the manual and still just a bit confused about what goes where.

Cheers
Craig

Last edited by clittle; 04-25-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: adding question.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Craig,

I am away for a month, so I can not show my setup until then. Perhaps someone else is running there car with that setup.

Calvin.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by caltek1
Craig,

I am away for a month, so I can not show my setup until then. Perhaps someone else is running there car with that setup.

Calvin.
No worries. Thankz.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Tech Adept

If u are running with Tamiya Outdrives #54233.. Should i go for 44mm cvd´s or 46mm?
Old 05-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Gillblade
If u are running with Tamiya Outdrives #54233.. Should i go for 44mm cvd´s or 46mm?
As far as I know, either will work. I'm using 46mm (picked that up from reading here).

The only "issue" I have is that I have to remove the C-hub in order the get the shaft out of the outdrives when I want to tighten my diff. I have a feeling that the 44mm will not have that problem.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:38 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I don't know much about the FF03, but I think I read that you need 46mm in case you want to run the wider stance.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

anyone Know the size on the bearings in the steeringrack and rockerarms... in mm size plzz!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Gillblade
anyone Know the size on the bearings in the steeringrack and rockerarms... in mm size plzz!!!
outside 8mm
inside 5mm
width 2.5mm
Old 05-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

ty for the fast response...
Old 05-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

ff03 pro built and almost ready!

looking at the car its quite long in the front, and i have decided to run a race body on it (we have no tcs here so no need to run a expensive tamiya body)

what race bodies will fit and what will NOT fit on the car? (protoform, eastcoast etc..)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.