Search
Like Tree220Likes

Tamiya FF03

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hatebreed
does race bodies, eg protoform mazda etc fit on the ff03 or is it just tamiya bodies?

the ff03 looks like a fun car, very tempted to buy one
TC bodies will fit .. but this car is all about scale .... use a FWD body
Old 04-23-2011, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

yes will probably use a fwd body, but always good to know that if i want better handling there is bodies to choose from

what motors can i use in this car? what is recommended? (will be driving the car on a large asphalt track with a long straight)
Old 04-23-2011, 06:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've been reading the references the TA06 posts with interest, especially the fact that there will be geared diffs- possibly interchangeable with the FF03, & then I thought... The diffs will probably be the usual die-cast fare with the non-sealable/ cheap geared diffs that you usually see on new/ cheap kits (I hope I'm wrong ). The Spec-R diffs are like hen's teeth; nowhere to be found or if buying from USA: add half the cost for the postage (ouch!)

Any helpful ideas on gearing the FF03 for a 21.5 turbo/ advanced timing (I seem to be under gearing it as the motor is cooking after the race with moderate speed at 6.1 ratio) & a 17.5 no perks? Any ideas using 48dp pinions & spurs would be really helpful! Thanks in advance...
Old 04-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

I know we've briefly touched on the 3Racing FF & I can't remember who said they had one (without trawling through the posts), but I 'phoned Boksburg K90 Race Track, South Africa to see if it was worth taking my kit over there in December & to find out if they're racing a FWD class (with the FF03's) & the answer was a resounding yes (13.5, no perks), but the 3Racing kit is the one to have as it is faster by 3 seconds a lap!

Is it really that good?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Regular

another question, what tires should i use on low/med grip asphalt?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Happy Easter

Here's my Tamiya America narrow width setup for those who may be interested in the upcoming TCS.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya FF03-ff03_rc_narrow.jpg  
Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i have purchaced the 3 racing kit it has not yet arrived yet but looks very nice , i have noticed however on the pics that gear box is open and that it doesnt seem to have the standard looking spur gear, what gearing is recomended in these running a 19 turn ? is anybody running the 3 racing sakura
Old 04-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft
i have purchaced the 3 racing kit it has not yet arrived yet but looks very nice , i have noticed however on the pics that gear box is open and that it doesnt seem to have the standard looking spur gear, what gearing is recomended in these running a 19 turn ? is anybody running the 3 racing sakura
No one runs brushed motors anymore
Old 04-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Waco
I know we've briefly touched on the 3Racing FF & I can't remember who said they had one (without trawling through the posts), but I 'phoned Boksburg K90 Race Track, South Africa to see if it was worth taking my kit over there in December & to find out if they're racing a FWD class (with the FF03's) & the answer was a resounding yes (13.5, no perks), but the 3Racing kit is the one to have as it is faster by 3 seconds a lap!

Is it really that good?
The largest FWD event held in recent times was TITC in Thailand. The Sakura FF put up a reasonable performance but was no match for the Surikarn "special" or the fast Tamiya boys

It is a good car but possibly just too stiff and doesn't seem to generate a lot of mecahnical rear grip (I ran a FF at TITC)
Old 04-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cannon
The largest FWD event held in recent times was TITC in Thailand. The Sakura FF put up a reasonable performance but was no match for the Surikarn "special" or the fast Tamiya boys

It is a good car but possibly just too stiff and doesn't seem to generate a lot of mecahnical rear grip (I ran a FF at TITC)
I remember you struggling with your Greg (although to be fair, I was struggling with my FF03 too!), couple of runs sans top deck!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TryHard
I remember you struggling with your Greg (although to be fair, I was struggling with my FF03 too!), couple of runs sans top deck!

Very bad memories
Old 04-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Tech Adept

Lightbulb Just got one and a few questions

I picked up the FF03 CR-Z on Saturday, along with a bunch of hop-up options. I actually own a CR-Z so I was really looking forward to this one.

Built it overnight and gave it it's first run on Sunday. (using and old lancer body)
I ran an FF01 about 13 years ago and I'd forgotten how much fun this style of car can be. I've been running touring cars and minis. I was suprised about the differences between this and my m05. The m05 was quite hard to set up to get good turn in. My FF03 seems to have an abundance of turn-in. Which certainly is exciting sometimes

I'm going to have to spend more time working on the setup, that is for sure.

With the rear, I'm running the TRF Dampers (I had a set just sitting around), but I just don't seem to have enough in the damper to get a good ride height. When set as per the manual, the shocks bottomed out well before anything else, and with that the ride height was around 3.5 - 4 mm. I'm kinda hoping to get 5. I moved the upper arm position to the top hole and that game be a small improvement, but still not quite what I was hoping for.

What could I do to cure this curse???? longer connectors at the bottom of the shock? I'm not running any limiters inside the shock either...

Also, what is everyones thoughts on hard-front/soft rear as opposed to soft front/hard rear?

Cheers
Old 04-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ahh yea brushed my bad i am used to calling it this, 10.5 will do me just fine then i will assume this is the equivelant.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:13 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by clittle
I picked up the FF03 CR-Z on Saturday, along with a bunch of hop-up options. I actually own a CR-Z so I was really looking forward to this one.

Built it overnight and gave it it's first run on Sunday. (using and old lancer body)
I ran an FF01 about 13 years ago and I'd forgotten how much fun this style of car can be. I've been running touring cars and minis. I was suprised about the differences between this and my m05. The m05 was quite hard to set up to get good turn in. My FF03 seems to have an abundance of turn-in. Which certainly is exciting sometimes

I'm going to have to spend more time working on the setup, that is for sure.

With the rear, I'm running the TRF Dampers (I had a set just sitting around), but I just don't seem to have enough in the damper to get a good ride height. When set as per the manual, the shocks bottomed out well before anything else, and with that the ride height was around 3.5 - 4 mm. I'm kinda hoping to get 5. I moved the upper arm position to the top hole and that game be a small improvement, but still not quite what I was hoping for.

What could I do to cure this curse???? longer connectors at the bottom of the shock? I'm not running any limiters inside the shock either...

Also, what is everyones thoughts on hard-front/soft rear as opposed to soft front/hard rear?

Cheers
You will have a lot of turn in running a sioft front and hard rear. Most run the harder fronts
Old 04-25-2011, 04:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cannon
You will have a lot of turn in running a sioft front and hard rear. Most run the harder fronts
What if I used anti-roll bars to lessen the turn in but keep some of the grip in the rear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.