R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree23Likes

Old 01-22-2011, 06:11 AM   #1891
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi : what's included (or not ) in the non-pro FF03 kits? What would you recommend as first upgrades
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #1892
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough512 View Post
Hi : what's included (or not ) in the non-pro FF03 kits? What would you recommend as first upgrades
Non of the blue aluminium bits, basically First upgrades? Universal joints... then get the 8x5x2.5 ball bearings for the steering arm...
Guddam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #1893
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough512 View Post
TRF shocks and spring set
I still run dogbones, anti wear grease on the metal axle stubs.
Also still run plastic diff outdrives.
Get the updated diff/idler gear set, original set has short lifespan.
May want swaybars, I use the lightest red one up front.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #1894
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (89%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Thats the whole reason I picked up an FF03 to run as a second class... I'd be pulling my hair out with the amount of time between races.
Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but we've got Jilles, Surikarn, and Meen V joining in the FF class.
Only issue I see, is I probably won't be able to give the car a run until I actually get to Thailand... could be an issue!!
my plan in the FF class is to have a bit of fun. so running with Jilles, Surikarn, and Meen wont intimidate me in the least bit. its all fun for me on this class....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygar View Post
I've decided to run the FF03 as well! Updated entry form sent to Itaru just now... Now to figure out the luggage situation
Good for you bro! now we are going to have some fun in the midfield!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Damn,

The more people I encourage to race FWD the further diown the field I finish
no worries bro, i'm right behind you!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:28 AM   #1895
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi Makkinen View Post
my plan in the FF class is to have a bit of fun. so running with Jilles, Surikarn, and Meen wont intimidate me in the least bit. its all fun for me on this class....
Absolutely the same. something to do to avoid the boredom in the 5hours we have between races!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #1896
Tech Regular

Ran my FF03 in anger for the first time today and had a blast, was a challenge keeping the rear grip as this being the UK it was cold and damp/greasy racing outdoors on tarmac.

Ran all day on the pit shimizu inter tyre and used tyre warmers but found after a few laps the rear tyre temp would drop off and loose grip. Made for some good oversteer tail out moments on the fastest corner coming off the start/finish straight. The first heat we was even getting cheers from those wacthing as the three of us with FF03's raced together and had tail out moments together through the corners. Great fun.

Need to find a more aggressive setup for the rear as we are likely to be racing in the damp/greasy conditions for a while yet. Ran near enough box standard car today except screw set and 3raing diff out drives.

Oh and out of the 10 people racing in the 17.5/27t class i ended 2nd on the grid with 4th and 6th taken by the other FF03's , all the other ars where 4WD.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #1897
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (89%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendracer_uk View Post
Ran my FF03 in anger for the first time today and had a blast, was a challenge keeping the rear grip as this being the UK it was cold and damp/greasy racing outdoors on tarmac.

Ran all day on the pit shimizu inter tyre and used tyre warmers but found after a few laps the rear tyre temp would drop off and loose grip. Made for some good oversteer tail out moments on the fastest corner coming off the start/finish straight. The first heat we was even getting cheers from those wacthing as the three of us with FF03's raced together and had tail out moments together through the corners. Great fun.

Need to find a more aggressive setup for the rear as we are likely to be racing in the damp/greasy conditions for a while yet. Ran near enough box standard car today except screw set and 3raing diff out drives.

Oh and out of the 10 people racing in the 17.5/27t class i ended 2nd on the grid with 4th and 6th taken by the other FF03's , all the other ars where 4WD.

have you tried adding a bit of ballast weights on the rear end of the car to retain some more grip?

just a thought...
Old 01-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #1898
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Does anyone have problems with play between the bearings and the plastic diff outdrives? I notice about a mm of play between. The bearing is a press fit onto the gear case though. Will aluminum halves fix this?

Someone mentioned updated gears a couple posts back, how to I differentiate them with the earlier ones?

Thanks
rc_square24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 AM   #1899
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_square24 View Post
Does anyone have problems with play between the bearings and the plastic diff outdrives? I notice about a mm of play between. The bearing is a press fit onto the gear case though. Will aluminum halves fix this?

Someone mentioned updated gears a couple posts back, how to I differentiate them with the earlier ones?

Thanks
you need to shim off the side to side play from the diff. 10mm internal diameter shims should help you do this.

for the gears, the stock ones are white... the hopup/upgrades are black.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #1900
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi Makkinen View Post
have you tried adding a bit of ballast weights on the rear end of the car to retain some more grip?

just a thought...
Thats a good point, as I was browsing a japanese mag this past weekend (when I say browsing, I mean looking at the pictures, and trying to remember it opens backwards!), and there was an article on Satoshi's FF03... and guess what, behind the battery was a shead load of lead
If I can borrow the mag this weekend, I'll try and take some pics of the article.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #1901
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I recall GT Tuned is 25 turn and non-rebuildable motor with about 15 degree timing.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #1902
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Tamiya Type-R R3 JAS Motorsport Honda Civic bodies are in!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #1903
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooPH View Post
you need to shim off the side to side play from the diff. 10mm internal diameter shims should help you do this.

for the gears, the stock ones are white... the hopup/upgrades are black.
It's not the side to side play I'm talking about, the diameter of the plastic outdrives are a bit too small for the inner diameter of the large bearings (at least on my kit). I wrapped a bit of tape around the outdrives to take up the slack and 1mm shims on both sides, now its a bit better.

Also the kit 26T pinion doesn't seem to grab on to the shafts of silver can motors, as close as I can position the pinion to the motor, at most only half of the grub screw is on the flat part of the shaft, and the pinion wobbles around. (When I flip the gear over on the shaft it spins true)

Any of you guys have this problem?

Thanks

** My 64p gears fit fine, which I'll be using anyways so I guess it doesn't matter much, just though they should fit from the kit

Last edited by rc_square24; 01-25-2011 at 05:52 PM.
rc_square24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #1904
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tuning tips for FF03

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Thats a good point, as I was browsing a japanese mag this past weekend (when I say browsing, I mean looking at the pictures, and trying to remember it opens backwards!), and there was an article on Satoshi's FF03... and guess what, behind the battery was a shead load of lead
If I can borrow the mag this weekend, I'll try and take some pics of the article.
Yes, I just finished the First round of TCS racing here in the USA (Aliso Viejo,CA.) and a lot of us running the FF03 used weight as a tuning feature to get the cars to stay planted. Didn't really try adding until we started using faster motors on colder temp track(outdoor asphalt).We had to run spec Tamiya premounts and FWD bodies. Made for very close racing. Weight varied from 7 grams to 28 grams.
Just my 2$
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #1905
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

just want to confirm that universals of ta04/tt01 fits in ff03 or is it partial of trf201 universals...
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote