R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #1846
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nr Birmingham (not so sunny England!)
Posts: 58
Send a message via AIM to Waco
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebolution View Post
installed a new robinson 60T 48 pitch spur and 47t 48 pitch pinion which gives me a 3.something FDR. if the motor heats up fast, i might change to slower motor



and 3racing cf chassis conversion.

Hi Jebolution, did the carbon chassis come with a top deck, or did you leave it off to generate mechanical grip with a more flexible chassis without it?
Waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #1847
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Socal
Posts: 95
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Hi I have some newbie questions:

1. Is a 5.5t brushless with 2s lipo too much for this chassis to handle?

2. If it's not too much, what size spur/pinion should I use?

3. If it's too much, which motor would be the fastest on this chassis but still controllable?

TIA,
Ron

Last edited by syrss; 01-17-2011 at 02:09 PM.
syrss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #1848
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrss View Post
Hi I have some newbie questions:

1. Is a 5.5t brushless with 2s lipo too much for this chassis to handle?

2. If it's not too much, what size spur/pinion should I use?

3. If it's too much, which motor would be the fastest on this chassis but still controllable?

TIA,
Ron
2s 5.5 is too much for most.
FWD is all about traction, so no point is such power if front wheels are never to stop spinning.
2s 13.5 should be plenty if using a timing ESC, 21.5 is more practical.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #1849
Tech Elite
 
speedemall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: hagerstown,MD
Posts: 2,192
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

If anyone wants a mint condition Tamiya Idemitsu Mugen Civic body for these LMK. I'll be listing it for sale shortly. Will this even fit the FF03??
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya FF03-rc-061.jpg  
speedemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #1850
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 28
Default

@ wako.. the top deck is included with the chassis but i did not install them as its a pain to change battery unscrewing 4 screws. its so grippy that when cornering and if you clip on the corner, it rolls. hahaha!

im using sorex 36 front and medium-hard inserts and sorex 28 with medium inserts in rear.

no rules here in Dubai except for a 13t motor limit
jebolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #1851
Tech Champion
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebolution View Post
@ wako.. the top deck is included with the chassis but i did not install them as its a pain to change battery unscrewing 4 screws. its so grippy that when cornering and if you clip on the corner, it rolls. hahaha!

im using sorex 36 front and medium-hard inserts and sorex 28 with medium inserts in rear.

no rules here in Dubai except for a 13t motor limit


The battery doesn't come out from the top. You undo the blue nut on the ESC mounting plate and slide the plate out and push the battery in from the side. Same as the 3 racing sakura FF car
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com ........... new website
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #1852
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post


The battery doesn't come out from the top. You undo the blue nut on the ESC mounting plate and slide the plate out and push the battery in from the side. Same as the 3 racing sakura FF car
made that option first but found it difficult to slide the batts from the ESC side as its hitting the receiver and i dont want to relocate the reciever so i opted for the one on the pix
jebolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:27 AM   #1853
Tech Champion
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebolution View Post
made that option first but found it difficult to slide the batts from the ESC side as its hitting the receiver and i dont want to relocate the reciever so i opted for the one on the pix
The receiver is meant to sit behind the servo. That way you have plenty of room to get the battery in.

Cheers
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com ........... new website
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:49 AM   #1854
Tech Master
 
mikeygar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,179
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys, what is the internal ratio of the FF03? If I plan to switch between 64 and 48 pitch, the IR should stay the same right?

TIA!
__________________
Manila On-Road RC on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManilaRC
mikeygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:59 AM   #1855
Tech Addict
 
rc_square24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 674
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Search shows its 2.60

No change as its internal and not final drive.
rc_square24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #1856
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nr Birmingham (not so sunny England!)
Posts: 58
Send a message via AIM to Waco
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebolution View Post
@ wako.. the top deck is included with the chassis but i did not install them as its a pain to change battery unscrewing 4 screws. its so grippy that when cornering and if you clip on the corner, it rolls. hahaha!

im using sorex 36 front and medium-hard inserts and sorex 28 with medium inserts in rear.

no rules here in Dubai except for a 13t motor limit
Ah! I see... I have taken the plunge & bought it but I wondered how the battery was changed (thanks to the subsequent feed back ) We have no rules other than trying to get the Front Wheel Drive Class sanctioned locally! I will be trying the 17.5 class, but I think it may be slow without monster gearing .
Waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #1857
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco View Post
Ah! I see... I have taken the plunge & bought it but I wondered how the battery was changed (thanks to the subsequent feed back ) We have no rules other than trying to get the Front Wheel Drive Class sanctioned locally! I will be trying the 17.5 class, but I think it may be slow without monster gearing .
Waco
Ran mine around Aldershot with a basic HPI Firebolt motor and cheap Ansmann ESC, was good for 18 laps but may have been 19 if I ran a proper shell and better drive out of corners (and a clear run) (17.5 on fast 19 lap pace with timing ESC).
If using a timing ESC then gearing is not a problem, but may be if zero timing is used.
Mine is resting at moment as I have other areas to get sorted within the club
(entry level 21.5 class (TC5)).
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #1858
Tech Champion
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco View Post
Ah! I see... I have taken the plunge & bought it but I wondered how the battery was changed (thanks to the subsequent feed back ) We have no rules other than trying to get the Front Wheel Drive Class sanctioned locally! I will be trying the 17.5 class, but I think it may be slow without monster gearing .
Waco

At the huge TITC event in Thailand (60 entries for FWD) we are using the Hobbywing Justock ESC and 13.5 motor. Both have no timing so equal for all. This combo allows gearing to be achieved relatively easily. We have been running that combo here in Australia and it works great ... good speed without being crazy.

If you need help finding that system let me know
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com ........... new website
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #1859
Tech Master
 
TAMAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,915
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Waco

At the huge TITC event in Thailand (60 entries for FWD) we are using the Hobbywing Justock ESC and 13.5 motor. Both have no timing so equal for all. This combo allows gearing to be achieved relatively easily. We have been running that combo here in Australia and it works great ... good speed without being crazy.

If you need help finding that system let me know
I love how TITC is setup this year. Cant wait to see some footage of the FWD race.
TAMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #1860
Tech Champion
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMAK View Post
I love how TITC is setup this year. Cant wait to see some footage of the FWD race.

Glad you like the rules etc.

It took me a little bit of time to set up the rules and the class and the motor/ESC combo were chosen based on that all brands of FWD car could achieve the gearing.

As for the bodyshell choice of realistic bodies ... it just had to be. We also managed to convince the event organiser to swap to spoked rims for even more realism
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com ........... new website
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Championship Series Neil Rabara Racing Forum 20847 Today 07:54 AM
FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF Mike Schumacher Electric On-Road 711 01-08-2017 09:27 AM
M03/M05's - The Aussie Mini Racing thread tony gray Australian Racing 5774 09-23-2016 10:49 PM
New Gen Front Wheel Drive Touring Cars (TAMIYA FF-03 PRO, T.O.P. Sabre FD) Rod M Australian Racing 34 06-11-2012 12:28 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:58 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0