R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree24Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #1591
Tech Fanatic
 
jasons36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 754
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Ran my car for the first time this weekend and had an absolute blast. We had 4 of us out there almost all with different motors. We were all friends so agreed to adjust epa so everyone was the same top speed down the straight. I had one problem im hoping you guys can help with. A few times when i took a hard hit it seemed to knock my steering out of alignment for lack of a better term. I would have to add massive amounts of trim to keep it driving straight and by the end of the day not even trim kept me straight. Seems as if my servo horn was off by a couple teeth over where it started the day. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Is there a fix?
Thanks for the help.
__________________
FT SC10 - Tekin RS- Redline 17.5
Kyosho DB/SC-R (for sale)
Spektrum DX3R Pro
jasons36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #1592
Tech Champion
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons36 View Post
Ran my car for the first time this weekend and had an absolute blast. We had 4 of us out there almost all with different motors. We were all friends so agreed to adjust epa so everyone was the same top speed down the straight. I had one problem im hoping you guys can help with. A few times when i took a hard hit it seemed to knock my steering out of alignment for lack of a better term. I would have to add massive amounts of trim to keep it driving straight and by the end of the day not even trim kept me straight. Seems as if my servo horn was off by a couple teeth over where it started the day. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Is there a fix?
Thanks for the help.
Possible reasons:

If it is the standard FF03 kit and you are using the standard servo saver .. throw it out . It is rubbish and will not centre because the plastic spring flexes

Possibly your servo is not centring properly. This can happen with cheaper servos

If you are using the Tamiya hi torque servo saver, make sure no slack in the joints where it all goes together. Where the spring clips fit in will wear and cause some slop in the servo

Make sure you have used the right spline piece for your servo. Wrong number of teeth can allow "jumping on the servo horn
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com ........... new website
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #1593
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 6,072
Trader Rating: 133 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbler View Post
Has anybody compared the lap time from a FF03 to a 4wd Touring car. Is there is any significant discrepancey in lap times between the two?
My club just ran a TCS warm-up race last Sunday and we used the Canadian TCS rules. FF-03 in its own class with the silver can motors and the Reedy 2400 lipo, and the TA-05 was eligible for the GT2 class running the black can motor and any lipo.

I was a lap faster with my FF-03 even with the diss slipping badly compared to some running the TA-05. The FF-03 is awesome.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #1594
Tech Elite
 
reenmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,539
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OI82lose View Post
I need hlep with the FF03 and gearing.
My motor is a 21.5 brushless and my esc is a Tekin RS (2.12 software).
What gearing works well?
I run parking lot and track races.

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
I've been gettin away with 78 spur with 58 pinion and I run 130 degrees or less on hot days.
LRP X11 and GTB.
Pretty fast too.
Still gonna gear higher if I don't have to go to 17.5 but that seems to be the direction we're headed.
I gear 76/58 with a Tekin RS and Tekin Redline 21.5 on v212, profile 1 (spec mode). Results and impressions same as Cuda -- come off the track at 120F or less.
__________________
Pete Waydo
2010 Big Fat Turkey Race Mini Cooper AAA Main Champion
*** currently in stasis ***

Last edited by reenmachine; 11-30-2010 at 06:36 PM.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #1595
Tech Elite
 
reenmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,539
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbler View Post
Has anybody compared the lap time from a FF03 to a 4wd Touring car. Is there is any significant discrepancey in lap times between the two?
Yes there is, depending on conditions. On a fast, flowing track I can hang just fine but on a tight, technical track with lots of tight low-speed corners I lose out due to relative lack of forward traction.
__________________
Pete Waydo
2010 Big Fat Turkey Race Mini Cooper AAA Main Champion
*** currently in stasis ***
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #1596
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,453
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I gear 76/58 with a Tekin RS and Tekin Redline 21.5 on v212, profile 1 (spec mode). Results and impressions same as Cuda -- come off the track at 120F or less.
That's what I'm gonna try next, a 76 spur with my 58 pinion and maybe even go to a 60 pinion to help tighten up the mesh since my motor is gettin close to the gearbox.
My point was that I know it is a gear ratio that is on par with a lunar launch but the temp is telling me that there is still plenty of room for more and I also feel that it will not be lacking punch.

Brushless loves tall gears, but when it's boosted, that is a place I have not been.

If turbo makes that much difference as to where stuff is gonna fry without question, I'd tiptoe around with ultra low gearing and slowly work my way up.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #1597
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,713
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
That's what I'm gonna try next, a 76 spur with my 58 pinion and maybe even go to a 60 pinion to help tighten up the mesh since my motor is gettin close to the gearbox.
My point was that I know it is a gear ratio that is on par with a lunar launch but the temp is telling me that there is still plenty of room for more and I also feel that it will not be lacking punch.

Brushless loves tall gears, but when it's boosted, that is a place I have not been.

If turbo makes that much difference as to where stuff is gonna fry without question, I'd tiptoe around with ultra low gearing and slowly work my way up.
Hi
Do you still have Cuda spares diff parts in your pit box?
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #1598
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nr Birmingham (not so sunny England!)
Posts: 58
Send a message via AIM to Waco
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbler View Post
Has anybody compared the lap time from a FF03 to a 4wd Touring car. Is there is any significant discrepancey in lap times between the two?
We still run 27 turn brushed motors & 17.5 brushless in the 'stock' class & it goes without saying that the brushless are quicker. Our club has divided the results classifying the brushless as F1 with non-turbo brushless & brushed as F2 as we all run together. The track layout is well balanced insofar that we have a long straight & some fairly technical infield & that's where me & my son (also running an FF03) usually catch up & make some ground (go figure!)

I can tell you though that during qualifying, we are on a par with the other brushed 4 wheel drives & it gets 'interesting' on the finals as, for obvious reasons, we're a little slow off the grid, but by the sweeper we are usually in the thick of it again.

So, in relation to our track; all chassis' running the same class of motor, no significant discrepancy...
Waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:24 AM   #1599
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons36 View Post
Ran my car for the first time this weekend and had an absolute blast. We had 4 of us out there almost all with different motors. We were all friends so agreed to adjust epa so everyone was the same top speed down the straight. I had one problem im hoping you guys can help with. A few times when i took a hard hit it seemed to knock my steering out of alignment for lack of a better term. I would have to add massive amounts of trim to keep it driving straight and by the end of the day not even trim kept me straight. Seems as if my servo horn was off by a couple teeth over where it started the day. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Is there a fix?
Thanks for the help.
i used a tamiya servo saver in my pro and after few hits here and there i could not get it straight anymore even after trimming. i ordered online for a kimbrough servo saver at amain hobbies and problem solved.
jebolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #1600
Tech Master
 
padailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Council Bluffs, IA
Posts: 1,603
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
I've been gettin away with 78 spur with 58 pinion and I run 130 degrees or less on hot days.
LRP X11 and GTB.
Pretty fast too.
Still gonna gear higher if I don't have to go to 17.5 but that seems to be the direction we're headed.
Outdoors? Big track?

I just tried a 78x60 (3.38 FDR) indoors (98x48 track) and the straight speed was good but the infield I was really bogging down. I was running much better lap times with a 4.9 FDR but the straight speed was really slow for the class (21.5 open esc). I've also run around a 4.4.... guess I'm still searching for what works best.
__________________
www.hobbyplexraceway.com

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #1601
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

On my 4wd 13.5 car on a 155ft main straight.
About 2-3yrs ago I was running a pre-timing LRP with LRP 13.5 motor, motor timing almost fully advanced, I was gearing at 4.2:1, and yes motor was way hot.
Now I am running Tekin RS Pro 212 with LRP X12 13.5, and am now geared at 8.05:1. I am doing over 55mph and motor temp is mid 70's C.

Tekin say to run a lower ratio than expected.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #1602
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,453
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA View Post
Hi
Do you still have Cuda spares diff parts in your pit box?
Not sure what you are asking?

I will tell you that I still have the original diff build in my car from day one (months ago and several hours of runtime) using all stock plastic parts, thrust bearing and screw, dogbones etc.

Just recently I hurt the original idler gear and replaced it with another original idler gear (yes, I did and still do have Cuda spare diff parts in my pit box cuz of all the guys that seemed to kill their diffs instantly ) and that 2nd idler gear is also holding up well.
My point is that when I replaced the idler gear, I left the original diff alone and put it back in again so I have yet to rebuild my "all plastic" diff.
Most of the runtime on this car has been with the 21.5 geared way up.

17.5 may have to happen soon tho.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #1603
Tech Fanatic
 
jasons36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 754
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebolution View Post
i used a tamiya servo saver in my pro and after few hits here and there i could not get it straight anymore even after trimming. i ordered online for a kimbrough servo saver at amain hobbies and problem solved.
Can you post a link or the part # to the one you're using? What brand servo do you use, I'm using a Hitec 965. Thanks
__________________
FT SC10 - Tekin RS- Redline 17.5
Kyosho DB/SC-R (for sale)
Spektrum DX3R Pro
jasons36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #1604
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 6,072
Trader Rating: 133 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebolution View Post
i used a tamiya servo saver in my pro and after few hits here and there i could not get it straight anymore even after trimming. i ordered online for a kimbrough servo saver at amain hobbies and problem solved.
The Tamiya servo savers do not fit the splines on the Hitec servos and that's likely why you experienced steering issues.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #1605
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Dordon , England
Posts: 387
Default

Well after two weeks of waiting my 3 racing diff parts have turned up so no more stupid glued on diff rings. Just need some free time to fit them now.
__________________
Xray X1 "16" driven by an idiot, me
weekendracer_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Championship Series Neil Rabara Racing Forum 21085 07-20-2017 05:34 PM
M03/M05's - The Aussie Mini Racing thread tony gray Australian Racing 5790 06-17-2017 05:27 PM
FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF Mike Schumacher Electric On-Road 724 04-03-2017 12:43 PM
New Gen Front Wheel Drive Touring Cars (TAMIYA FF-03 PRO, T.O.P. Sabre FD) Rod M Australian Racing 34 06-11-2012 11:28 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:47 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net