Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Lipo and peoples thoughts please... >

Lipo and peoples thoughts please...

Lipo and peoples thoughts please...

Old 04-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Champion

Default Lipo and peoples thoughts please...

Now lipo have been out for some time, how are people finding the situation of the lower 1350g weight limit and hanging the cells out of the side of the chassis in some on road chassis? - Are they more likely to get damaged, than say when we raced nimh and they were placed within the car better?

I know lipos are hard cased, (and for very good reason too!), but just thought I would see how people have faired with the way some are arranging their cells these days
Old 04-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It has meant that people with lower spec chassis now have a weight disadvantage and some people are now spending money on Ti screws and similar to reduce weight so they can balance better. All in all exactly what was obvious.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
It has meant that people with lower spec chassis now have a weight disadvantage and some people are now spending money on Ti screws and similar to reduce weight so they can balance better. All in all exactly what was obvious.
Thank you for the reply, but I was questioning more about how durable lipo's are now they are hanging out of the chassis a bit in some applications, has it been an issue for some people in crashes seeing their lipos get damaged, or am I thinking about something that I don't need to?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:29 AM
Tech Adept

I've had one of my hard cases split open in a crash where my TC5r slid into an outer wall on the track pack side first. The pack got pushed up into the upper deck. I run one of the ppd billet steel balancing bars taped to the pack which I think saved it from the impact. I peaked in the pack to see if there was any damage to the cells and they looked ok. Without that bar I think the damage to my pack might have been terminal.

I'll be running a ppd billet bar on all my packs in future to protect against side impacts.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by spongerX
I've had one of my hard cases split open in a crash where my TC5r slid into an outer wall on the track pack side first. The pack got pushed up into the upper deck. I run one of the ppd billet steel balancing bars taped to the pack which I think saved it from the impact. I peaked in the pack to see if there was any damage to the cells and they looked ok. Without that bar I think the damage to my pack might have been terminal.

I'll be running a ppd billet bar on all my packs in future to protect against side impacts.
this is exactly the kind of situation that concerns me.

outdoor racing is a little more forgiving in that respect as if you run wide, you usually have a run off area, but if you race indoors with wooden track boards, you can come across problems when you have a racing incident...

Good to hear your cells were still ok, hope they hold out for you