R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #1186
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,101
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmer701 View Post
Hi korey just want to ask ive tried hara's setup in our track it was really darn good when the Grip is low (afternoon) however, after the quali when the temp is cold and the grip is high im having issues with that setup. All else equal ( in terms of setup) im experiencing traction roll when the grip is high and im experiencing massive oversteer. I tried making the hex in front at 5mm and in the rear i made it wider at 6mm i stand up my shocks at the rear like 1.5 holes but still having issues. Would u recommend any setup change? Tnx
Sounds very familiar! Now you know why I said low grip only haha!

Move the rea shocks down to #3 on the tower.i would change shock oil to ae 50wt front and 40wt rear, and go from 1mm under the suspension blocks to 1.5mm in front. That should help a bunch. if you still are experiencing traction roll try a gold front spring, or keep the pink front spring and move the shock to position #1 on the front arm.

Hpoe that helps!

-Korey
__________________
Seido Speed Works - Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #1187
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
Sounds very familiar! Now you know why I said low grip only haha!

Move the rea shocks down to #3 on the tower.i would change shock oil to ae 50wt front and 40wt rear, and go from 1mm under the suspension blocks to 1.5mm in front. That should help a bunch. if you still are experiencing traction roll try a gold front spring, or keep the pink front spring and move the shock to position #1 on the front arm.

Hpoe that helps!

-Korey
the other thing that helped (that you recommended) was at West Coast (high bite indoor asphalt).. when traction came up.. my front inner wheel was lifting then traction rolling. i went to a heavier bar (1.4mm) and that stopped it.

low bite. i started with silver/blue springs with 1.3/1.2mm sways with 30wt oil. as bite came up i eventually ended up at gold/silver with 1.4mm/1.2mm sways and 40 wt oil..

good recommendations!!

EDIT: (this was for 17.5 non-timing with Solaris H compound spec tires)
__________________
Hebiki Design Works
Custom R/C Vinyl Graphics & Apparel: Your gear, your way!
Web Design - Web Development - Logo Design - Graphic Design
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks

Last edited by Hebiki; 10-22-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added class info.
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #1188
ark
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 703
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

HI I wanted to share a setup of mine that Im really enjoying. Its for an outdoor track with a fair amount of grip and also needs a car to rotate well as there are a few esses. Happy for your feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Bodies TCX-img160.jpg  
ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #1189
Tech Fanatic
 
bmmer701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 947
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
Sounds very familiar! Now you know why I said low grip only haha!

Move the rea shocks down to #3 on the tower.i would change shock oil to ae 50wt front and 40wt rear, and go from 1mm under the suspension blocks to 1.5mm in front. That should help a bunch. if you still are experiencing traction roll try a gold front spring, or keep the pink front spring and move the shock to position #1 on the front arm.

Hpoe that helps!

-Korey
Okay thanks im already using 1mm under the blocks in the front hehe i also see my rear lifting hehe. I will do your suggestion later. I will also try to put gold springs at the front and im using 45wt oil hpi front and rear. I will also try to change the shims in the rear hub i will put the 2mm spacer in the front of the hub. I also remove the 2mm shim under the camber links at the rear thanks
bmmer701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #1190
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,101
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmer701 View Post
Okay thanks im already using 1mm under the blocks in the front hehe i also see my rear lifting hehe. I will do your suggestion later. I will also try to put gold springs at the front and im using 45wt oil hpi front and rear. I will also try to change the shims in the rear hub i will put the 2mm spacer in the front of the hub. I also remove the 2mm shim under the camber links at the rear thanks
Exactly. The rear of your car is too stiff in comparison to the front. The front is just dumping over. Going to 1.5mm under the front suspension blocks is the biggest improvement I think you can do in your situation, and lay the rear shocks back down. Should be much better!
__________________
Seido Speed Works - Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #1191
Tech Master
 
jag88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,075
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmer701 View Post
Hi korey just want to ask ive tried hara's setup in our track it was really darn good when the Grip is low (afternoon) however, after the quali when the temp is cold and the grip is high im having issues with that setup. All else equal ( in terms of setup) im experiencing traction roll when the grip is high and im experiencing massive oversteer. I tried making the hex in front at 5mm and in the rear i made it wider at 6mm i stand up my shocks at the rear like 1.5 holes but still having issues. Would u recommend any setup change? Tnx


I've experienced the same as the the grip level comes up, oversteer mid to exit of corner.
What I have found is that the servo saver is to weak (at least the one that came with my kit) to deal with the cornering loads under those conditions. I bought an Associated TC5 servo saver. It seems much stiffer but my fear is that I'll be breaking steering knuckles as a result. Will try it tomorrow.
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #1192
Tech Fanatic
 
bmmer701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 947
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag88 View Post
I've experienced the same as the the grip level comes up, oversteer mid to exit of corner.
What I have found is that the servo saver is to weak (at least the one that came with my kit) to deal with the cornering loads under those conditions. I bought an Associated TC5 servo saver. It seems much stiffer but my fear is that I'll be breaking steering knuckles as a result. Will try it tomorrow.
Ah i see im using tamiya servo saver with my kit.

Korey: thanks i should have tried using 1.5mm under the blocks in the rear. Though, yesterday it was sunny i didnt experience any traction roll hence i was not able to try the gold springs. Was able to get tq and 1st. Did u try to use 1mm under the blocks in the rear? Oh i also used ltc r body yesterday

Btw, im running 13.5 with boost anyone tried gear diff.

Last edited by bmmer701; 10-23-2010 at 08:15 PM.
bmmer701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #1193
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,101
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I've never run 1mm under the rear end suspension blocks. I always run 1.5mm, and then I change the front end between 1 and 1.5mm.
__________________
Seido Speed Works - Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #1194
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 25
Default

Hey guys. Old WCE user looking to get back into TC. Nevermind parts for the TCX has any RC shops got the kits in stock!?
Any pointers appreciated
Stephen_102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #1195
Tech Master
 
slakr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,675
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

A-Main shows they are in stock
__________________
TLR 22 4.0, 22-4 2.0, 8IGHT & 8IGHT-E 4.0~XRAY XB2C~AE TC7.1
Tim aka "slakr" ROAR No. 3-119960
slakr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #1196
Tech Master
 
locked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,758
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_102 View Post
Hey guys. Old WCE user looking to get back into TC. Nevermind parts for the TCX has any RC shops got the kits in stock!?
Any pointers appreciated
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...il.asp?id=9614

$415.99US
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #1197
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 25
Default

Cheers guys. Sorted! Brilliant
Stephen_102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #1198
Tech Master
 
ali_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,153
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

hi korey,

Under what conditions do you run the front suspension blocks 1.0 - 1.0 and have you try other combinations?
__________________
☆ JU.C RACING ☆
https://www.facebook.com/Ju.Cracing
ali_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #1199
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,101
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I'm a little unclear of what you are asking. Are you asking about the spacers under the suspension blocks? Or the actual suspension blocks themselfs? I'll explain both :P

1.0mm shims vs 1.5mm shims up front:

1.0mm lowers the roll center. When you have a lower roll center, it tends to create less intial grip (so a little smoother into the corner), and more mid-exit grip (more mid-exit steering). I tend to do this on lower traction surfaces since it can make the car easier to traction roll in higher grip conditions. It allows the front end to roll easier, but it rolls slower. Most of the time, I stay with 1.5mm under the suspension blocks.

Std suspension blocks vs 1.0 FF/FR or others:

The 1.0, 1.5, ect are all wider than the std FR suspensiopn block. Lately in hgiher grip conditions I have been running 1.5 or 2.0 deg blocks FF and FR. It makes the camber link longer, and also changes how the suspension reacts a bit. Generally wider hinge pin mounting makes the car feel a little stiffer and more responsive around center. It generally rolls less and produces a little less traction in comparison to the box stock setup. The box stock 2.5 deg/0 deg setup gives a lot of arm sweep, which feels good on lower bite tracks but I think it feels too soft and not very "linear" through the corner. For me, it feels kind of lazy going in, then dig in super hard in the middle.

Hope that helps!

-Korey
__________________
Seido Speed Works - Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #1200
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,009
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jaz406
Default suspension arm height

Thaks Korey that is a good explaination. I understand it better when you relate feel to adjustments made. I too was wondering about that.
Jaz406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:41 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net