R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #4186
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

What is the fastest/best way to get off power (turn in to early apex) steering into this car?
I have a loaner and don't know the current setup...but can tell you it has no sway bars/front spool/rear gear diff.

I have the option to run a front ball or gear diff but want to hold off on that if I can (like the feeling of the spool).
Thanks.
j.d.roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #4187
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (99%+)

narrower front hexex 4mm with a .5mm spacer is wat i use and it helps turn in
Alex "ACE" Kubilus
ACE design works
RaceAce701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #4188
Tech Regular

So im new to on road, just built a tcx with a 17.5 tekin and love it! Today I was testing indoors on carpet which was the second day on the kit. Everything ran smooth and then out of nowhere my car was making a nasty vibration noise when the car was turning on moderate power. It was fine in a straight line, or turning on full power. I took it apart and inspected everything cvd pins, uprights, spindles, hinge pins, front gear, outdrives, and drive shafts and nothing helped. My first thought was a cvd pin was coming out but they were fine. Any suggestions on what it could be, or how to fix it? Thanks.
TDI793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #4189
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI793 View Post
So im new to on road, just built a tcx with a 17.5 tekin and love it! Today I was testing indoors on carpet which was the second day on the kit. Everything ran smooth and then out of nowhere my car was making a nasty vibration noise when the car was turning on moderate power. It was fine in a straight line, or turning on full power. I took it apart and inspected everything cvd pins, uprights, spindles, hinge pins, front gear, outdrives, and drive shafts and nothing helped. My first thought was a cvd pin was coming out but they were fine. Any suggestions on what it could be, or how to fix it? Thanks.
Try this - no need for set screw or if you can find these coupled with this, it will even be better.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #4190
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.d.roost View Post
What is the fastest/best way to get off power (turn in to early apex) steering into this car?
I have a loaner and don't know the current setup...but can tell you it has no sway bars/front spool/rear gear diff.

I have the option to run a front ball or gear diff but want to hold off on that if I can (like the feeling of the spool).
Thanks.
You need roll bars, the car is pitching to much so your losing steering. If you go to the ball of GD at the front you will gain some steering but lose drag from the corners, stick with the spool.

Have a look at my setup from this weekend gone. I would have made the A main bar for some 'help' from other drivers in all my qualifying runs

http://www.ukrcracer.co.uk/phpBB3/do...file.php?id=47

You will need to save this to you desktop and open it. Bare in mind I like ALOT of steering input, so i do run softer front springs to rear. You can balance this by puting silver or gold at the front to take some bite out of it. Also note this is with the smokem chassis, but this is not far off what i'd uise on the standard kit chassis.
Jo90uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #4191
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukil View Post
Try this - no need for set screw or if you can find these coupled with this, it will even be better.

Hope this helps.
+1

Use the DCJ is possible go with R-Spec modified diff with this http://www.spec-r.com/default/index....roducts_id=235 work very well with 17.5
Old 03-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #4192
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo90uk View Post
You need roll bars, the car is pitching to much so your losing steering. If you go to the ball of GD at the front you will gain some steering but lose drag from the corners, stick with the spool.

Have a look at my setup from this weekend gone. I would have made the A main bar for some 'help' from other drivers in all my qualifying runs

http://www.ukrcracer.co.uk/phpBB3/do...file.php?id=47

You will need to save this to you desktop and open it. Bare in mind I like ALOT of steering input, so i do run softer front springs to rear. You can balance this by puting silver or gold at the front to take some bite out of it. Also note this is with the smokem chassis, but this is not far off what i'd uise on the standard kit chassis.
This car has the smokem chassis too.
I will give the bars a shot this weekend (thanks).

Btw...can't dl your setup.
I get this.
"You are not authorised to download this attachment"
j.d.roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #4193
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

Any word when the TCXX is coming?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #4194
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have been told by a little birdie around June/July. That is a very tentative release though, so don't hold me to that. Hope everyone has been doing well. I'm slammed with school and finishing up my degree. I'm graduating in June!

-Korey
Old 03-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #4195
Tech Regular

I have some setup/general questions about this car. I have it setup as a 17.5 blinky and and struggling with the rear of the car. Im running on an indoor carpet track with medium to high bite, on the HPI 30c tires, using traction compound. Im struggling with lateral rear grip in high speed corners, and rear grip on power. My car is descent to drive for about 4-5 minutes and then the rear grip falls of drastically to the point that I cant drive it. I have tried everything with setup and dont know where to go from here. Is this just a trait of these cars? Here is my setup, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Camber- -2 front and rear
Ride height- 5mm front and reat
droop- 9 front 9.5 rear
shock oil- 47.5 front and rear
springs- pink front, blue rear
shock length- 64mm front and rear
Bars- black front gold rear
Shock tower position- third hold from inside front and rear
lower position on arm is outer front middle rear.
long wheelbase in the rear
Old 03-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #4196
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Camber change it to -1.5 front and 2.5 rear
droop- change it to 9 front 8.5 rear
shock oil- change it to 35 front and rear
springs- change to silver front, silver rear
shock length- change it to 63.5mm front and rear

What is your camber link position in rear?
Hi-LowBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #4197
Tech Regular

Quote:
I have some setup/general questions about this car. I have it setup as a 17.5 blinky and and struggling with the rear of the car. Im running on an indoor carpet track with medium to high bite, on the HPI 30c tires, using traction compound. Im struggling with lateral rear grip in high speed corners, and rear grip on power. My car is descent to drive for about 4-5 minutes and then the rear grip falls of drastically to the point that I cant drive it. I have tried everything with setup and dont know where to go from here. Is this just a trait of these cars? Here is my setup, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Camber- -2 front and rear
droop- 9 front 9.5 rear
shock oil- 47.5 front and rear
springs- pink front, blue rear
shock length- 64mm front and rear
Tyres overheating ?
S.A.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #4198
Tech Regular

How are you all measuring droop with a digital vernier ? I know how to use/measure with it but a pic would be a great help.

Thanks.
S.A.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #4199
Tech Regular

Thanks for the replies. I have tested at my indoor track trying to gain speed and get a handle on the setup for the last three days and have made minimal improvements. I measure the droop by putting the chassis on a flat surface and measuring from the table to the center of the outer hinge pin. Not sure if this is right or not, but how someone at the track showed me.

The tires overheating is for sure a problem in the rear and probably why it falls off so drastically in the rear. Right now I am running the HPI 30c tire and our indoor series will have a spec sweep32c. Is there a big difference in these tires, our shop has not gotten them in stock yet.

I started with the kit setup, and moved to what I posted a few posts ago. From that setup I have tried 27.5, 40, and now the 47.5 on shock oil. For me it feels like the thicker the oil the better it feels. I have also moved to the from pink front springs and blue rears, to silver front blue rear to take some steering away. Shock length was the only other thing I played with yesterday, started with minimum shock length with the ball end all the way screwed on the shaft, and moved to 64mm front and rear which didnt seem to make a huge difference. Also my camber links are in the number two position.

Thanks again for the replies and the help, it is greatly appreciated. This is my first on road car and how no idea how critical the setup is on these cars!

Last edited by TDI793; 03-09-2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added something
Old 03-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #4200
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.....
PM sent
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote